AT&T rolls out 7.2 everywhere

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Razeus, Jan 5, 2010.

1. macrumors 601

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/atandt-kicks-it-into-overdrive-rolls-out-7-2mbps-everywhere-bu/

2. macrumors 603

Just did a speed test at work in metro ATL. Got 1.8Mbps. While better than before inside a building, that's hardly 7.2. I'd just like to see one test hit 3.0 somewhere to know that it's working. Better yet, I'd love my signal at home a little farther out to not drop in and out. There are a couple of dead zones between here and my home, and that's not convenient in an area where deer love to play chicken with drivers.

3. macrumors 68020

Wild-Bill

I would prefer that AT&T figure out why when someone calls me, sometimes the phone never rings, I never get an indication that anyone called.

I'd also like them to figure out why sometimes I receive voicemails hours later than they were actually left.

I'd also like them to work on the whole dropped-call issue.

4. macrumors 68000

Vandam500

You have some bad luck:p

5. macrumors regular

Article says the backend isn't ready for the speed jump anyway...let's go ATT.

6. macrumors 603

thelatinist

Interesting. My speeds definitely have improvedin the last week, even if not to 7.2Mbps.

10/28/09 - 170/27 (Old Tower, Edge)
    12/27/09 - 1670/235 (New Tower, 3G)
    01/05/10 - 2310/289

I'll still stick with my Optimum Online/WiFi:

01/05/10 - 14272/2041

7. macrumors Core

MacNut

Go to any network and you will have these same problems. I always had that issue with Sprint, never once with AT&T.

8. macrumors 601

jaw04005

Had the same problems at home until they finally upgraded my tower about a month ago.

I don’t think I’ve had a dropped call since. And reception inside my home went from 1-3 bars to 5 bars all the time.

9. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

My speeds have also improved since last week.

12/28-1765/221
    01/05-2676/255

10. macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Im just happy to live in Southern California where there is pretty much no place you can be that doesnt have wifi which is what makes my OG iPhone bearable

11. macrumors 68020

Wild-Bill

Negative. My last phone with T-Mobile was tip-top. Never had any of those issues at all.

12. macrumors regular

Here in Canada im getting 6 Mb download with Telus.

13. macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Sure wish I had 3G in my area!!

14. macrumors 6502

Jpoon

I would love to know where you lived then. Because when I lived in Memphis I got about two dropped calls a day with T-Mobile. I guess T-Mobile hates the Mid-South.

15. macrumors regular

Kansas City
    3G: 3.42 / 0.12
    DSL: 4.10 / 0.62 (for comparison)

16. macrumors 6502a

i dont know if they launched the upgrades and are using the new spectrum but my 3g speeds lately have been more consistant and also i cant remember a time in the last 2 weeks that ive looked at my phone and i havent had full bars of 3g coverage. im currently in memphis.. i hope its the same in babson park fl. (where florida orange juice grows their oranges)

17. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Not sure what AT&T will be able to do, but real life surveys overseas show that a 7.2 Mbps network will average about 2.4 Mbps, and is only about 6% faster downloading websites than a 3.6 Mbps network due to latency and fluctuating bandwidth.

Actual speed versus theoretical max speed has been the subject of some inter-carrier ad claim spats in the past few years.

18. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yeah, so basically this article means nothing. This is kind of like the Sprint commercial "Now on the only 4G network." AT&T now with 7.2 HSPA, but don't expect to use it for awhile

19. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Most towers only have 3-10Mbps total backhaul for all cell users, but ATT says "most" (half?) will get better backhaul by this time in 2011. It's not cheap or easy to do, so we have to give them time.

Business Week reported an insider spat between Apple and ATT over this last summer:

20. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Improved speeds but nothing like the 7.2 they claim. When you tell me 7.2 I expect to see at least 70% of that, which I don't.

21. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In other words, at the very (unlikely) best, only one user can get true 7.2 speeds off the tower (pre-upgrade) at a time, right? Even at the previous HSPA speeds, doesn't this kind of tower-level back-end throughput still mean that only a few people -- maybe 2-4 users at a time, per tower -- can actually get HSPA speeds simultaneously? Or am I misunderstanding the definition of backhaul?

22. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You won't. Read the link I posted above, which was a spat last year in the UK:

23. macrumors demi-god

FWIW, I think they've found the cause of that, check out the ars technica quote below. I read somewhere else where they're working with their infrastructure equipment providers to find a solution.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...-iphone-service-is-apples-fault-is-bunkum.ars

24. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You're correct. Note that voice and control data are also part of backhaul usage.

Other carriers have been upgrading their backhaul to 50-150Mbps per tower in preparation for both smartphones and LTE, which itself will be limited in real life speeds because of a similar lack of total bandwidth. (Imagine 50 cell users streaming 3Mbps each versus one user with 30-50 Mbps.) Dense population LTE towers might get 1GB backhaul to help.

It takes time for everyone, though. Even Verizon, with FiOS and Sprint fiber to help, won't have their new backhaul totally installed across their entire footprint until the same time as LTE is fully rolled out in late 2013.

25. macrumors member

I've had more dropped calls in a couple months on at&t than I had in 3 years total with Verizon. I honestly remember about 3-4 dropped calls on Verizon's network while I had them. I have a few dropped every week with at&t.

I'm in the Northeast in an area with 3G. If it weren't for the iPhone, I would not have switched.