AT&T selling refurb 5's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bob Coxner, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

$99 for 16gb, $199 for 32gb and so on. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412426,00.asp

I have some questions:

1) Does anyone know if these are refurbed by AT&T or by Apple?

2) I don't think you can buy Applecare+ when you buy from AT&T (they sell their own insurance plan). I'm wondering if these refurbs are eligible for Applecare+? Assuming they are, the nearest Apple Store is 100 miles away from me, making the usual Genius exam of a phone very inconvenient. Anyone know an alternative method of getting Applecare+ when buying direct from AT&T?

3) Setting aside the refurbs questions, if I buy a new phone direct from AT&T (to get a FAN discount) is there a way to get Applecare+ without a visit to an Apple Store?

4) Does anyone have experience with previous AT&T iPhone refurbs?

2. megapopular, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

megapopular macrumors 6502a

I talked my friend into buying 2 refurbished iphone 4's from AT&T for himself and his girlfriend, they worked perfectly well up until July this year when he upgraded to iPhone 4s's then he gave them to his kids. I just ordered a refurbished iPhone 5 64 gb for my sister yesterday, so I'll know by Monday, I guess to see what kind of condition it's in... And a bit more time to see how it works as far as the software.

3. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

4. Bob Coxner thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lots of conflicting stories in that thread. $100 off is tempting but I prefer to avoid hassles whenever possible.

5. noisycats macrumors 6502a

I just purchased the refurb 5 for $99 and AppleCare+ is part of the checkout process.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I don't think it being returned is a problem. If there is anything wrong, go to the Genius Bar and switch it out for another refurb (but this time, an actual Apple refurb)

7. Bob Coxner thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went all the way through to checkout and never saw a mention of it. I see the "AT&T Mobile Protection Pack" and "AT&T Mobile Protection" insurance but nothing else.

----------

As I said, the nearest Genius bar is 100 miles away.

8. noisycats macrumors 6502a

I was upgrading and a loyal AT&T customer. O/w I can't explain the difference in our experiences. AppleCare+ was stage two in the purchasing process. I'll see if I can post a pic.

9. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

I just ordered a 16GB black iPhone 5 refurb today. Didn't see an option for Applecare, though I think there was an option for ATT's insurance.

Hopefully there's no scratches and stuff all over it.

10. noisycats macrumors 6502a

Maybe because I was upgrading?

Attached Files:

11. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Soon my 10-day old iPhone 5 will be returned and part of the refurb stock. I'll save the $100 buying a refurb and visit an Apple Store if there's an issue later. The Genius Bar should be pretty accommodating since the iPhone 5 is still "new".

12. Nolander07 macrumors 6502

I bought a phone from Radio Shack and got AppleCare + on the spot. The salesman said if I didn't get it that day I could always call and add it later, without a genius appt. not sure if it was true or not though, since I got if while I was at the store.

13. Bob Coxner thread starter macrumors 6502a

That could be the difference. I would be a new customer.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G4

Yes, I've read several reports that AT&T refurbs aren't actually re-manufactured iPhones. Don't know how true that is but it's something to keep in mind.

15. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

Jumped on it, hopefully I will get it soon. I plan to get insurance for it anyway so it doesnt bother me that it's refurb, also I can go to the genius bar anytime

16. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

ATT used to keep a a FAQ section that explained refurbs where returned phones. I could not find it again on their site.