AT&T Sold Out of iPhones

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 30, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It appears that most of AT&T's 1800 retail stores sold out of iPhones within hours of going on sale.
    According to anecdotal reports on the forums, some AT&T stores received as few as 20 units for sale, while others claimed in excess of 100.

None of the Apple stores appear sold out, but they reportedly had significant more stock than the AT&T stores.

2. macrumors 68020

Get them while you still can. iPhones are hot! I am predicting $750,000 sold over the weekend.

3. macrumors 68020

4. macrumors newbie

We have two at&t stores in Boise. I waited at one, but they only had 25 units and sold out within minutes. I drove to the other store around 7:00 because I heard they had "over 100". When I got there there was a 15 minute line, and they said "around 25 left" when I got to the register. I'm betting they had a lot more than a 100 when they opened.

5. Moderator emeritus

Stoking the appetite and then forcing most new Apple customers to enter an Apple store or dealer and walk past all those new Macs and iPods? Because there are weeks to wait online for an order... Not that I'm cynical or anything. :)

6. macrumors 68020

inkswamp

I don't want to sound cynical but it's hard not to think that this was planned. If you short one outlet (AT&T stores) then you get the ongoing hype of "OMFG, the iPhone sold out" while there are still plenty quietly on hand at Apple stores everywhere. And then there's that odd 2-4 week delivery time on the Apple site. Hmmm... something doesn't add up and I'm sure Apple and AT&T's marketing people know why. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

New Macs and iPods? The iMacs, Mac Minis and iPods haven't been updated in a while. LOL

8. macrumors 6502

Apple Store Sold Out

I just came from Manhattan Beach, CA and that store was sold out! I said "Wow!" (playing innocent) "Do you know how many you sold yesterday?" Manager-type "Yes I do" Both laugh:) End of conversation.

She said she didn't know exactly when to expect more, but intimated they would come in the next couple/few days.

I also walked into the nearest ATT store and all I said was "Hi, do you have any more?" Employee laughing, "Nope, sorry."

And so it's 2-4 weeks for me. Woulda got one yesterday, but the local ATT was only selling them bundled with accessories (call me peeved!). Too much moola for me... However, Domino's was passing out free pizza, so I still made out! :cool:

9. macrumors newbie

That's because they are all on eBay. Go to ebay and type it in. You'll find more iPhones then the Apple Store in New York or any other Apple store. In fact I would take a guess that 50% of the AT&T iphone sales are on eBay.

Its ridiculous. My bet is on Monday a lot of returns will happen.

10. macrumors 6502a

it makes sense since it would bring more traffic to apple stores.

11. macrumors 6502

donlphi

Just won enough money in Vegas to buy an iPHONE, but they were sold out today, so YEAH... they sold out in SOME stores.
    :mad:

Whoever is reporting Apple store iPHONE inventory is looking at some fabricated information or they are looking at yesterday morning's information.

12. macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

No surprise to me. The iPhone was sold off the shelves quickly and is very popular.

13. macrumors regular

$750,000 worth is too low.

750,000 units is way too high.

My local ATT store sold out (had < 50), but the Apple Store has plenty (on day two).

I could have bought one today (no line), had it in hand, but then decided not to due to the 10% restocking fee upon return if I found no signal reception in my house.

14. macrumors regular

I share the same theory.

Question is... will it work? Time will tell.

15. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, it does appear that AT&T stores even in urban areas are sold out, but with almost 2000 AT&T stores vs. Apple's much smaller chain, they service very different populations and catchment areas.

Besides which... I can't see the Apple execs too thrilled about sending their customers into cell phone stores. Right up there with being inside JCPenney in terms of lack of taste. :(

16. macrumors 6502a

there are apple stores sold out:

Topanga
    Bay Street
    Burlingame
    Corte Madera
    The Pier
    Penn Square
    Glendale Galleria
    Irvine Spectrum Center
    Century City
    Beverly Center
    Manhattan Village
    Palo Alto
    Stanford Shopping Center
    Pasadena
    San Francisco
    Stonestown
    Sherman Oaks
    Walnut Creek
    The Falls
    Ala Moana
    Fashion Show
    The Domain
    Willow Bend
    Southlake Town Square

17. macrumors 68020

hmm. well this is just great. I live 5 hours away from the nearest apple store, and 5 min away from the nearest AT&T. Apple could have released a few more to the AT&T stores.

though, I was bummed at first because all we have is "cingular" stores, and an Actual AT&T store. Well the day of I just got out of a movie and saw them hanging plastic banners over the Cingular signs. Every single Cingular store did that. It was kinda pathetic.

18. macrumors 68020

Of course, AT&T probably doesn't need them as much as with a typical phone. Even if you buy at an Apple store, you still activate with AT&T. So it's not like they can do much selling--the stores are selling plans, and throw in a phone in most cases; here it's the other way around.

19. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Mine had 30, i was18 but people cut in line.......

20. macrumors member

Plenty of iPhones according Apple

I agree go to:
    http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

Check out NYC it's all green. Las Vegas Fashion week red, two shops in SF red but plenty of places to drive to and buy. Seems like people loved to look but for the hefty price it really was not an impulse buy. So silly to over-hype this already out of date cell. No hands free operation for those iPhone mums taking their kids to school?

It's just bling. It's best feature is the browser but that needs Verizon.

Peter

21. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Honestly I don't think Apple execs give a darn where customers are spending money as long as all that money is coming back to Cupertino.;)

22. macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

There are 1800 AT&T stores .... there are 161 US based Apple stores... its simple stock logic. They had to divide up AT&T's allotment of iPhones between all of their stores.

23. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do see your point. Money is money. But, I think the amount of effort they put into their store experience, and the (accurate) rhetoric from Jobs about how bad shopping experiences elsewhere are, suggest otherwise...

24. macrumors 6502

katanna

According to my boss, our AT&T store didn't run out until Saturday morning...

Matthew

25. macrumors regular

I know the AT&T store I went too sold out (San Jose, CA). They had 60-80. I think the Valley Fair :apple: store had some left. There was like 400 people in that line so I passed. Would've been nice to talk to "Woz" man himself, though.:rolleyes: