Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swdesignr

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
New Mexico
AT&T Warehousing iPhones?

My local AT&T store had 105 and sold out immediately.

I was told that the reason apple.com has a 2-4 week ship is that the orders go through AT&T because they are warehousing a lot of the stock.

That would maybe explain why AT&T can get their customers an iPhone in 3-5 days while Apple is less specific. Also why the Apple stores got so much more initial inventory.

They also said that Apple is handling ALL of the activations -- they're not involved.

Not sure how accurate some of this is, but I'm throwin' it in for what it's worth.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Two in stock

There was on 4gig and one 8gig in stock when I went late yesterday afternoon. I want one way too much, but with wedding plans and air tickets, couldn't afford the luxury.

M

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
The Apple stores got absolutely massive shipments. From the number of people in and out of the the 5th Avenue store, I would estimate that they received something like 3000 units on day one. Apple Stores still having stock means nothing.

I can attest to this. I went to the Tysons Apple store in DC around 7:30 PM on launch day and was able to buy one ... they said they had already sold a couple hundred. Not bad for the first hour and a half ehh?

tfh1013

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
Somewhere, Overthere
hey-

i was wondering, would it make sense to buy one of the online apple store, but keep looking for one locally? i mean, could i cancel my order before they ship it if i end up finding one at a local apple store?:p

thanks

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
hey-

i was wondering, would it make sense to buy one of the online apple store, but keep looking for one locally? i mean, could i cancel my order before they ship it if i end up finding one at a local apple store?:p

thanks

as long as the shippment hasn't started to process... you'll be fine. so order it, and if you find one locally, make sure apple.com gives you a "cancel order" option :)

ZaoPetra

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Thanks

Thanks to all those people who worked on the iPhone. Thanks for polishing what you could in a reasonable time and not taking another year to add everything that some people continue to complain about. I'm glad to have the phone NOW! I hate my Treo so much I'm going to keep it around to curse. I can't believe the difference now that I have an iPhone to compare to.

Also, Thanks to the people who designed the 'Notes' app. I like it. I figure if Apple stays true to the past they will add other functions as they are able. And again I am very glad they didn't wait another year to add more options. The options they have now are overboard nice. Notes on the Treo are ****.

I love my iPhone. It took me 5 minuites to activate it on Friday night at 7P. I have never had an experience like this. It was beautiful. And I continue to find nice touches that don't have to be there.

I'm so happy right now. I wish people would shutup with their complaining about future features.

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
Last time I checked, only Atlantic City was out in New Jersey. You could make a jaunt to the Short Hills Mall or another of the Apple Stores and you'd probably do just fine.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was struggling with jet lag and when I woke up
NJ apple stores are closed already :eek:

Nearby AT&T stores didn't have any iPhones. bah.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
there are apple stores sold out:

Topanga
Bay Street
Burlingame
Corte Madera
The Pier
Penn Square
Glendale Galleria
Irvine Spectrum Center
Century City
Beverly Center
Manhattan Village
Palo Alto
Stanford Shopping Center
Pasadena
San Francisco
Stonestown
Sherman Oaks
Walnut Creek
The Falls
Ala Moana
Fashion Show
The Domain
Willow Bend
Southlake Town Square

Now you can add Santa Monica, CA and The Vineyard in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
My experience

I don't want to sound cynical but it's hard not to think that this was planned. If you short one outlet (AT&T stores) then you get the ongoing hype of "OMFG, the iPhone sold out" while there are still plenty quietly on hand at Apple stores everywhere. And then there's that odd 2-4 week delivery time on the Apple site. Hmmm... something doesn't add up and I'm sure Apple and AT&T's marketing people know why. :rolleyes:

I don't think it was planned. I think AT&T is just incompetent.

My experience:

Got in line ~4:30pm, Santa Monica AT&T store on Wilshire (apparently a "flagship" store, and the only one in Santa Monica), about 80 people in front of me. An employee comes out, I ask if they have iPhones for everyone. The employee states smugly, "we have enough."

Line starts moving at 6pm. By this time, there are another 50+ people behind me. As reported, AT&T processing systems bogged down (they use Windows, btw). It takes 3 hours to take care of the first 60 or so people in line. A woman periodically comes out, and repeatedly when asked states, "we have enough iphones."

When I ask if they actually have an inventory count of phones and why the vague answer, she states "we know, but I will get fired if I give an exact number." WTF.

About that time, a woman comes out, stating that they are just about out of iPhones. She looks at the line and points to a guy about 5 spots ahead of me, saying he will be the last to definitely get a phone. I say WTF, how hard is it to count the number of phones then count the number of people in line?"

A few minutes later, she comes out and says, finally, we have 39 phones left, and most of them are 4GB. This after waiting in line for 3 hours.

I state the obvious and say, "why did you make people, who had no chance of getting a phone wait in line for 3 hours?" She again stated that it was company policy. Nice answer.

I should have walked over to the Apple store and got one of the several THOUSAND they had in stock. However, since I had just WASTED 3 HOURS in line, I stupidly waited some more and got a 4GB. Which, when I actually got into the store, was fairly painless, taking about 10 minutes, mostly due to my cingular account (some changes needed to be made). The guy helping me in the store was very efficient.

I'm guessing they had about 100-150 phones, with about a 60-40 split between 8 and 4GB.

BTW, my friend, at another AT&T store, had a very similar experience. He was 4th in line when they said they were out of phones. Then, after complaining, they said oh, we still have some 4gb in stock. WTF.

Summary:

AT&T policy was insane. They could have simply counted the number of phones they had and handed out numbered pieces of paper to people that could actually get a phone. Instead, they purposely made people wait in line, when they had no chance of getting a phone. This on top of prior genius stuff like having no clearcut policy on existing customers until DAYS before the launch, no plan pricing until days before launch, and other stunningly incompetent management of the launch.

The AT&T store manager should be fired. Period.

The AT&T POS system is actually a POS.

As for my phone...

I love it, except I've already run out of capacity. I'd return it and get a 8gb at the Apple store, but AT&T said that there is a 10% restocking fee, those f*ckers.

The case I bought for it is useless. Adds bulk, not much in protection, and poorly designed. And after watching the stress tests on the internet, there appears to be little need for a case. $25 wasted.

Activating the phone for me was pretty painless. After updating to 10.4.10 and iTunes 7.3 (took about 10 minutes or so), the actual activation took about 5 minutes. It actually took longer than it could have since I was looking for more stuff to do... it was that easy.

However, there was a problem with visual voicemail. When someone called me and it went to voicemail, they got an answer that "the number you called is not in service." This required a call to AT&T. Apparently, it is a known problem with routing on their end and they fixed it for me. This took about 20 minutes on the phone. Works fine now.

FYI, this phone rules. It is ridiculously cool. Amazing attention to detail in the software. I mean, just play with the alarm clock or timer. And mind blowingly easy to use... no manuals necessary.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I went by a store (Columbus, OH) today (Sunday) and they still had about 30 left that I could see, and like 6 on display to play with. Wasn't looking to buy though so kept walking.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
I hope they sold over 200,000 I think with all the hype that people are expecting more sales. Maybe some numbers will be realesed tomorrow?I bought 2 and there were about 300 others I line with me Friday most who I saw were buying 2 also

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
My local AT&T store had 105 and sold out immediately.

I was told that the reason apple.com has a 2-4 week ship is that the orders go through AT&T because they are warehousing a lot of the stock.

That would maybe explain why AT&T can get their customers an iPhone in 3-5 days while Apple is less specific. Also why the Apple stores got so much more initial inventory.

They also said that Apple is handling ALL of the activations -- they're not involved.

Not sure how accurate some of this is, but I'm throwin' it in for what it's worth.

That cannot be true because all the AT&T stores I went to all said their warehouse was out of stock and that the item would have to be back-ordered from Apple with NO TIME FRAME GIVEN (unlike the Apple store which clearly states 2-4 weeks). This is why I stormed out of the last AT&T store I went to (although that was mainly because the North Salisbury MD AT&T store manager gave the very last iPhone to his buddy at the back of the line)

My next question though is, if the Apple store is not shipping for 2-4 weeks, doesn't that make their on-line store completely out of stock also?

thjatty

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Different Strokes

I'm sort of disappointed by how hateful some of the comments are toward the people who chose to camp out. Those people weren't necessarily doing it to be first in line. They were doing it for the same reason Grateful Dead fans used to go to GD shows repeatedly--to be part of the hype and joy, to have some fun and be with like-minded people wanting to experience the same. I think that's just fine. I don't get why people dump on those who want to camp out. Big deal. Who are they hurting? I sometimes think people are jealous and would love to be able to be part of that. I don't know. I don't get the judging and condemning going on.

BTW, the Star Wars fans you're alluding to often camp out and link that to charity (i.e., getting people to sponsor them.) These people aren't always just losers who have "no lives."

OK. So a person who dresses up as Chewy or Padme' does have a life. And the Mayor of Philly waited in line for an iPhone starting at 230pm on Friday; not that he shouldn't or couldn't have done city business.

I'm just as liberal as the next person, and probably more so. At my law office I have nothing but Macs. I detest PCs and Big business (which is ironic since we're dealing with Apple and AT&T).

MY POINT was Apple and/or AT&T should do something different to quit making people act like idiots by waiting in lines. Thank God I didn't hear any stories about fist-fights over them like tickle-me-elmo.

Now; I'll give you one of mine. I go to NASCAR races for 3 days or more at a time. Guess I have no life either.... at least I can play with my iPhone at the track next time...

To each his own :) :apple:

lu0s3r322

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2005
more sold out today, this is the full list:

California:
Burlingame
Topanga
Otay Ranch
Corte Madera
South Coast Plaza
Bay Street
Fashion Fair
Glendale Galleria
Irvine Spectrum Center
Century City
Beverly Center
Manhattan Village
Mission Viejo
Fashion Island
Northridge
Palo Alto
Stanford Shopping Center
Pasadena
Stoneridge Mall
Victoria Gardens
Arden Fair
UTC
Stonestown
Oakridge
Higuera Street
Valley Fair
Santa Rosa Plaza
Sherman Oaks
Simi Valley
The Oaks
Walnut Creek

Florida:
Aventura
The Galleria
The Falls
Lincoln Road
Millenia

The Perimeter(GA)

Hawaii:
Ala Moana
Kahala

Northbrook(IL)

Woodland(MI)

Minnesota:
Mall of America
Southdale
Rosedale Center

Nevada:
Fashion Show
Summit Sierra

Smith Haven(NY)

Penn Square(OK)

Suburban Square(PA)

Green Hills(TN)

Texas:
The Domain
Barton Creek
NorthPark Center
Knox Street

The Gateway(UT)

Washington:
Bellevue Square
Alderwood Mall
Southcenter

Looks like theres about 56 stores out.

Xyl

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
I counted 59 on the website...

And I count 58 on your list, not sure which one you're missing. :p

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
I don't think it was planned. I think AT&T is just incompetent...........

.......... The AT&T store manager should be fired. Period.

The AT&T POS system is actually a POS.

Wow, and I thought my experience was bad. I didn't wait nearly as long to be told they were out (& I was told they had enough also), but I did drive a good distance since there was no AT&T store or Apple store in my rural area. It definitely must have been AT&T company policy to never state how many they had because they wouldn't tell me either. But, I doubt it was AT&T company policy to do what the North Salisbury, Maryland AT&T store manager did... He gave the last one to a friend at the BACK OF THE LINE! And of course, when I complained, they called the security guard over to ask what my problem was. What a hassle the whole ordeal was, not to mention the fact that my credit report's been pinged more times in 24hrs than a ping pong table.

By the way, you can cancel your Apple online store order and still head to an Apple store that has them (that's what I eventually did). The local Apple stores will even let you use their phone in the store to cancel your online order, which is very cool. The Apple stores and their employees put the AT&T people to shame.

FYI: I also love the phone. :)

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Cool, looks like all of CA is sold out now other than San Fran. I hope they release some #'s tomorrow, might be a good day for apple stock :)

yayaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Damn I just got back from camping today and I couldn't find one anymore in Sacramento. Sacramento for pete's sake!

Apple Store in Sac is out and the 3 or 4 AT&T stores around me are all sold out except for one store which only had a couple of 4 gig iPhone's left. I want an 8gig one though... grr.

According to the availability site, most of CA is out of stock with no new shipments coming at all?

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
Damn I just got back from camping today and I couldn't find one anymore in Sacramento. Sacramento for pete's sake!

Apple Store in Sac is out and the 3 or 4 AT&T stores around me are all sold out except for one store which only had a couple of 4 gig iPhone's left. I want an 8gig one though... grr.

According to the availability site, most of CA is out of stock with no new shipments coming at all?

I checked Apple's site at 7/2/07 1:50am, it shows stock at:

San Francisco, Stonestown
San Francisco, San Francisco

It shows the rest of the Apple stores in CA out of stock.

Road trip?

yayaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
I checked Apple's site at 7/2/07 1:50am, it shows stock at:

San Francisco, Stonestown
San Francisco, San Francisco

It shows the rest of the Apple stores in CA out of stock.

Road trip?

I was actually in the Bay Area today too but I was dead tired from camping so I didn't think to check SF. If I had checked I would've gone somewhere in San Jose instead but even those stores are out.

Wow, didn't expect this at all. Guess I'll keep checking over the next few days until the Arden Fair one in Sac has more stock.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
I was actually in the Bay Area today too but I was dead tired from camping so I didn't think to check SF. If I had checked I would've gone somewhere in San Jose instead but even those stores are out.

Wow, didn't expect this at all. Guess I'll keep checking over the next few days until the Arden Fair one in Sac has more stock.

The stock check is for the following day. You can check after 9pm and purchase at 9am the following day. Just keep an eye on it at night so you know where to go in the morning. Good luck.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
Do you think it's going to be awhile before the Apple stores get a second shipment in? I'm hoping it isn't 2-4 weeks just like the online store but it doesn't make sense for the stores to get them in first right? Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.