AT&T: Switching from 4G to LTE iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Make Donuts, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Make Donuts, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

macrumors newbie

Title Correction: AT&T: Switching from LTE to 4G Iphone 5

I want to check to see if this is happening to anybody else, When placing a phone call it downgrades from LTE to 4G and after hanging up 4G will disappear and you have nothing displayed for up to a minute then LTE shows up? This happens to me all the time even when texting as well. I might be wrong but was it Verizon who cannot simultaneously run LTE whilst making a call and AT&T not having this problem?

2. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

it drops to 4G to make the call. only data is used for LTE.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, ok so 4G/HSPA+ for Calls and LTE Data.

4. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

4G/H+ for data and calls, LTE for only data.

once a call is placed, the LTE radio shuts off and switches to H+ only for the duration. no one uses LTE for voice yet, only data.

5. macrumors newbie

Meaning no one is offering Voice over LTE, as in the same concept of Voice over IP. Not to be construed with device establishing simultaneous connections to both a voice protocol/network, and an LTE protocol/network at the same time in the same way it is possible to remain connected via wifi while making a call.

6. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

at&t will offer LTE data connection. however, once a voice call is made, bands will switch and data and voice will be sent over 850/1900, as opposed to the LTE bands. once the call is finished, the phone will revert back to both listening for calls on the 4G bands and sending/receiving data on the LTE bands.

7. macrumors newbie

it drops to 4G to make the call.[​IMG]

8. macrumors member

Anyone noticing that it sometimes takes forever to switch back to LTE after the phone call?

Sometimes it takes longer than a minute at which I go into settings and manually toggle the switch.

So far it seems to take, on average, about 10 seconds after ending a phone call to go back to LTE. Kind of annoying.

9. macrumors regular

Switch back is fairly quick for me. Did you notice any difference when you are at different locations?

10. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

mine wont even go on LTE. i get 2 bars of LTE, then after a few minutes the phone reverts back to 4G and never goes back.

11. macrumors newbie

LTE does not return if hotspot is ON

Well, it is known that for the voice call iphone 5 goes back to 3G/4G HSPA and it actually does return back to LTE within a minute or 2 BUT ONLY IF I AM NOT USING IT AS AN ACTIVE HOTSPOT! Anyone experienced the same? any workaround other than turning HS off and back on?