AT&T tells you how it's gonna be

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Coming soon to a state near you: a bill designed (by AT&T, no less) to weaken cities' ability to regulate cable franchises.

Free Press

Ohio is a very Republican state, so as the article goes on to say, the skids are well-greased.

Incidentally, those "boxes popping up on tree lawns" are literally the size of refrigerators, and it's already been determined that AT&T has the right-of-way, even on the homeowner's own treelawn. So when this comes to your state, you'd better hope it's not your treelawn.

But then, you didn't really want the right to decide what does or doesn't go on in your community anyway, did you?

God I love deregulation. :mad:

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

AT&T (SBC) is really dirty in how they conduct business, they try all the time to change the rules on the fly to benefit them. Here in CT they are trying to prove that they don't need to be governed by a local advisory council to be able to provide cable service. And it seems that they are going to get their way. As for PEG that is an FCC ruling that every cable op has to provide.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The telecom and cable industries have been fleecing the American people for a long time.

Now they seek to tighten their stranglehold on us with an unhealthy fresh dose of anti-competitive and anti-consumer legislation that will shore up their monopoly and eliminate free market choice.

They're unAmerican and I hate them with a passion.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Remember when deregulation was supposed to make our lives easier and our bills cheaper? That didn't happen, and now AT&T is almost back to where it started from. Ain't progress grand. :rolleyes:

You'd think people would look at their bills and realize oversight and regulation of businesses (especially monopolies) are good things.

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I never believed in deregulation, right from the beginning. It's always been nothing more than a scam.

As far as AT&T (or the entity that calls itself that today): you know, between them and the six big media companies, I realize we really, really need another Teddy Roosevelt. Not some weenie Democratic president who'll throw some bread crumbs at the middle class, but a genuine, trust-busting progressive who'll break these ***holes apart and not give a good goddamn what they think of it.