AT&T to Discontinue 'Facebook Phone' HTC First?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AT&T is planning to discontinue the HTC First, better known as the "Facebook Phone," reports BGR. Released on April 12, the HTC First was touted as the first device to come with Facebook Home preinstalled, a feature that has not enticed buyers to purchase the phone.
    When contacted, an AT&T spokesperson gave MacRumors the following statement in regards to BGR's report: "As mentioned previously, we do pricing promotions all the time and have made no decisions on future plans."

The Facebook Home software, which can be installed on a number of Android devices, has also proven to be unpopular with Android users. The app has a two star rating in the Google Play store and has seen just a million downloads since it was released last month.

[​IMG]
    Facebook is hoping to drive additional downloads with an upcoming software update, which was demoed last week at a small press event. The upgrades are intended to make Facebook Home less intrusive, reports the LA Times, namely by making apps easier to find with a quick access dock at the bottom of the home screen.
    According to Engadget, a large portion of Facebook Home's installs can be attributed to early adopters. At the aforementioned press event, Facebook execs declined to reveal how many active Facebook Home users exist, but did reveal that Home encouraged users to spend 25% more time on Facebook.

Facebook has brought limited Home functionality to iOS with the introduction of Chat Heads into its iOS app, and has talked to Apple about the possibility of bringing additional Facebook Home features to the iPhone in the future.

Article Link: AT&T to Discontinue 'Facebook Phone' HTC First?

2. macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Well that was fast.

3. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

So a phone that takes one app vendor and puts them front and center is not wildly popular?

4. macrumors 6502

Ouch.

5. macrumors 68030

Facebook Home is a clear example of what could happen when you put in a pool of extremely talented folks, narrow marketing direction (they should have designed it to appeal to both non-Facebook and Facebook users), and too little time to implement it all.

6. macrumors 6502a

verniesgarden

seriously? It's been out a month, that's not even long enough fro most stores to get stock

7. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

Like I said when it came out, FB was talking about how people use FB 25% of the time on their phone, but they forgot that means people use their phone for something other then FB 75% of the time...

8. macrumors 604

bushido

lol i had no idea this was even out yet

9. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Yeah... too bad Apple didn't allow this on the iPhone... then Wall Street would have something else to go negative on! :rolleyes:

Not surprised here.

10. macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Just about everyone knew it would be a flop.

11. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

15,000 units in a month is very very bad...

12. needfx, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

macrumors 68030

needfx

chatheads are going to roll

13. macrumors 68020

AT&T knows exactly what they are doing. They are so large, with so much data to rely on, they are not one to procrastinate.

It is either worth keeping in the lineup or it's not. That simple.

14. macrumors 65816

All that was missing from this launch was HTC or Facebook or AT&T saying, "we are doubling down on Facebook Home".

15. macrumors regular

ASKendrew

That lasted long...

16. macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

From what I read, this ships with Android 4.1.2 and lets you turn off Facebook Home to get the stock Android interface.

It sounds like a nice phone. 1GB RAM, Android 4.1+, 4.3" LCD (not comically huge like so many other devices), and LTE support.

HTC is apparently killing this thing after just ONE month. It was released on April 12th, 2013.

HTC has a history of dumping tons of phones on people, then not supporting them. They won't get a lot of customers doing this.
    The "Facebook" name brought this story to the front page. Without Facebook, most would have never heard of this device. In reality, it's just another sad story of an abandoned Android device.

17. macrumors 68020

When AT&T decides to offer a phone for sale, all stores receive their inventory on the same day. The only exception would be a transportation issue that they have no control over.

18. macrumors 6502a

sparrky

[​IMG]

19. macrumors 68040

I am shocked, shocked I say, that this didn't pan out.:eek:

</s>

sparrky, wish I could give you more than 1 upvote.

20. macrumors 68020

1a) It's my understanding it was by mutual agreement by AT&T and HTC.

2a) False

21. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I'm just going to go ahead and bookmark this for next time when I see someone screaming for deeper integration of Facebook into iOS.

22. macrumors 68040

I'm thrilled. People are finally pushing back a little against facebooks intrusiveness in their lives. 15K handsets is sad--that's so few it actually might become a collectors item someday. Antiques Roadshow!

23. macrumors 68000

Kwill

Except Mark Zuckerberg.

24. macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

25. macrumors newbie

blcamp

Can they do away with the "chat heads" also? Freaking annoying.