AT&T to Restrict or Charge for FaceTime Over 3G/4G in iOS 6? [Updated With AT&T Statement]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As noted in our ongoing iOS 6 Beta 3 discussion thread, it appears that AT&T will be restricting and possibly charging for the new FaceTime-over-3G-network feature in iOS 6. Prior to iOS 6, FaceTime was a Wi-Fi-only service.

The following error message appears for AT&T customers in iOS 6 when trying to activate FaceTime over cellular networks:

[​IMG]

The error message is similar to one given to AT&T customers who wish to enable data tethering under iOS. AT&T requires users to pay for a separate tethering data plan to enable that feature.

At the time of the original iOS 6 announcement, we had reported that many carriers were quiet of the prospect of allowing FaceTime over their cellular networks. An AT&T spokesperson said that they were "working closely with Apple on features disclosed for iOS 6, and we'll share more information with our customers as we get closer to launch." We are reaching out to AT&T for an update or statement on their plans.

9to5Mac also notes the same behavior on AT&T networks and found the same error message did not appear when trying to activate FaceTime over Verizon's 3G networks.

Update: AT&T issued this statement, which is very similar to the one issued back in June:
    Article Link: AT&T to Restrict or Charge for FaceTime Over 3G/4G in iOS 6? [Updated With AT&T Statement]

2. macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

As user friendly and cheap as ever.

3. macrumors G5

jav6454

Fees, fees everywhere.

3G Unrestrictor it is then.

4. macrumors member

It's my data, I pay for it, let me use in anyway that I choose!

5. macrumors 6502a

Data is data....i don't get it.

6. macrumors 6502

I struggle to see how AT&T is going to be able to sell this to its subscribers as a premium feature that would make them want to pay for it. Personal hotspot is one thing, but this?

7. macrumors 6502

larrylaffer

Are there any third-party video chat apps for iOS yet? If so, do they work over 3G?

8. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

It worked just fine on Verizon because Verizon doesn't have separate hotspot plans like AT&T does.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect AT&T to shaft customers with this. Just wanna clarify why Verizon users weren't seeing issues.

9. macrumors 65816

Oh my god. ATT is the devil! Seriously! If I pay for 5 gigs (which I do) I will use my 5 gigs HOW I PLEASE! (includes tethering, so cool your jets on that one).

US wireless is the worst.

10. macrumors 6502

Yep and if ATT thinks I'm paying extra they can kiss my ass. I hope to god T-MO gets the iPhone this year. I'll take my 4 iPhone family somewhere else. I have not had any issues with ATT service wise, but this will push me to another carrier.

11. macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

punks! Skype works just fine over 3G....im not giving you a penny more!

12. macrumors regular

PodPacker

Glad my contract is up

I'll be switching if that's the case.

13. macrumors newbie

MONEY MONEY MONEY!! That is all it is.... Hopefully when iOS 6 is officially released, this will be all changed!

14. macrumors member

Look up.

3G Unrestrictor let you facetime over 3G natively!

Great ATT! Another reason to jailbreak iOS6.

15. macrumors regular

I'll say it again here for discussion purposes...

I posted the same thing on the 9to5 forums; as soon as they posted that story, I attempted to make FaceTime calls with my iPhone that was updated to beta 3 today. I had no issues placing and receiving 4 separate FaceTime calls over 4G this evening. Maybe it's just my phone, I don't know. But it worked fine for me.

16. macrumors member

I would like to say that no one could be so stupid as to charge for this but this is AT&T. I'm glad I dumped them as my carrier.

17. macrumors newbie

Glad I'm leaving AT&T and going to Sprint. AT&T = Rip off!

18. macrumors regular

denaliOnDubs

Pretty frustrating... I'm not surprised however.

19. macrumors 6502

Dear AT&T,
    Go **** yourself!

From, the world.

20. macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I wonder how this may affect those of us who are jailbroken and can use FaceTime over cellular via apps such as 3G Unrestrictor.

In any event I think this is a total crap move by AT&T. Double fees on data...whats next...having to pay a fee to use my data to access my email? :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 68020

b166er

the only thing worse than this.....

.... will be reading ATT's excuse as to why they are doing it.

Deplorable. I pay for unlimited data. I rarely hit 2 gigs. Not a chance they will dime me for facetime, as it is not their feature.

22. macrumors 6502

sputnikv

it's 2012, why are american carriers so behind the rest of the world?

23. macrumors 6502

LOL, another reason AT&T can suck it

24. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

try resetting network settings
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15263082&postcount=310

if you don't mind losing the ability.

arn

25. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Honestly I kind of LIKE having this broken out so I have the chance to not pay for it.

The fact that Verizon now makes you pay for unlimited voice and texts no matter what you want makes them a non-starter for me. I kind of like the idea of a carrier that lets me not pay for certain things. (And this certainly is one of those things that I wouldn't pay for.)