Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry, was not reading this thread lately, what is the best way to go about to ask for contract cancellation and number porting if I already received price hike on UDP?

These are the rules on how to get out etf free on unlimited data plan on AT&T.
"If you choose to cancel your unlimited data plan and you're under a two-year service contract, we'll waive your early termination fee.4 Just cancel your unlimited data plan line(s) within 60 days after the price increase first appears on your bill. Cancellations made after that time will be subject to the usual early termination fee. "

What I did was I called them and had them make notations to my account a few days before I ported my numbers to T Mobile.
And then after I ported I also called AT&T again a few days after to make sure all the ETF fee's were removed and I paid the final bill.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I'd be very curious to see what the numbers look like for ATT vs their competitors over the past/next 90 days to see how many dropped them based on the $5 hike. We were ATT customers (cingular first) for over 10 years... we dropped them because, sadly, ATT couldn't come close to the offer we got from t-mobile. Even with a FAN discount.

Reactions: Applejuiced

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I know full-priced phones aren't cheap, but contracts are so ****ing overpriced that they need to get removed eventually.

Have you ever compared a Next plan to a contract? They're much more expensive. Some of us need the contract to afford the phone.
[doublepost=1457362843][/doublepost]
I'd be very curious to see what the numbers look like for ATT vs their competitors over the past/next 90 days to see how many dropped them based on the $5 hike. We were ATT customers (cingular first) for over 10 years... we dropped them because, sadly, ATT couldn't come close to the offer we got from t-mobile. Even with a FAN discount.

$5 hike? Where are you getting that number from? A next plan for me is $40 more a month.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Have you ever compared a Next plan to a contract? They're much more expensive. Some of us need the contract to afford the phone.

$5 hike? Where are you getting that number from? A next plan for me is $40 more a month.

Unlimited Data Plan users got a $5 price hike for their plans. That's what I'm referring to.
[doublepost=1457364607][/doublepost]

Sorry - also meant to add that I agree. If we switched off unlimited data - it seemed like we were either going to see an exponential increase in pricing with a NEXT plan "as is" - or we could lower the overall bill a bit by buying two new VERY cheap phones and instead of $40 per line it would have been $15 I think. Ultimately, it was still going to be more expensive for less data.

Wife and I each have 10gb of data (more than enough for each of us) with tethering allowed, unlimited talk, text, etc - all for $117.50 (inclusive of taxes). It was a no-brainer to switch to T-Mobile. Our only concern was coverage - but so far, we haven't seen any difference here in NYC.

suerte66

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
Canceled my att, within the 60 days from my bill change, and no they are saying I can't unlock my phone until I pay my early termination fee, which, of course, is supposedly waived. They also seem unwilling to generate this bill. Irritating as I really need to use the phone on my new service. Any tips on how to get this going? or where to complain about att refusing to unlock an out of contract phone?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Canceled my att, within the 60 days from my bill change, and no they are saying I can't unlock my phone until I pay my early termination fee, which, of course, is supposedly waived. They also seem unwilling to generate this bill. Irritating as I really need to use the phone on my new service. Any tips on how to get this going? or where to complain about att refusing to unlock an out of contract phone?

Same thing they pulled with me I had to deal with att's nonsense for over a week and couldn't use my iPhone on tmobile.
All unlock requests were getting denied by AT&T and more frustration and wasted time. Called them about 40-50 times and spoke to reps and explained my situation 100 times. Either pay swift unlocks the $10 to unlock it or contact the bbb and file a complaint against AT&T.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...fter-unlimited-data-monthly-increase.1955794/

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Same thing they pulled with me I had to deal with att's nonsense for over a week and couldn't use my iPhone on tmobile.
All unlock requests were getting denied by AT&T and more frustration and wasted time. Called them about 40-50 times and spoke to reps and explained my situation 100 times. Either pay swift unlocks the $10 to unlock it or contact the bbb and file a complaint against AT&T.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...fter-unlimited-data-monthly-increase.1955794/

Interesting as I had no issue as I've previously reported. You need to make sure you're talking to retention and get it escalated. State that as per their letter which you received, you are not required to pay a termination fee and that since you have ported your number over (I assume you have?) that they need to unlock the phone immediately. You might still need to wait 24 hours - but have them put in a manual request (ticket) vs going through their online unlock tool.

If you've done the below already - my apologies.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Interesting as I had no issue as I've previously reported. You need to make sure you're talking to retention and get it escalated. State that as per their letter which you received, you are not required to pay a termination fee and that since you have ported your number over (I assume you have?) that they need to unlock the phone immediately. You might still need to wait 24 hours - but have them put in a manual request (ticket) vs going through their online unlock tool.

If you've done the below already - my apologies.

Yes, its finally over and done.
It took about a week and many many times calling customer service.
I think the BBB complaint at the end finally got it resolved but it was a nightmare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.