Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
there is no way you can cover every square inch with coverage here. it's impossible with all the buildings

half the problems are because apple chose inferion for the radio chips and their drivers suck in the USA.

In every other country around the world cellulars providers can offer decent indoor coverage in large metro areas with skyscrapers - then why not in New York?

The problem has more to do with the number of cell-sites then inferior radio chips.

The US carriers network design is flawed and that is causing most of the problems. If you compare the networks design in a typical european city and a typical american city you will find that there at substantially fewer cell-sites in US city. In the US the the networks design dictates fewer sites with multiple carriers and in europe there are 2-3 x more cellsites using one or maybe two carriers.

When using WCDMA this difference can be huge.

The difference is:

US
- Fewer cellsites
- more carriers used
- low capex (investment in equipment)
- Adding more capacity is limited and difficult
- Harder to add capacity to where it is needed due to large footprints
- Indoor coverage can be difficult

Europe
- 2-3 x cellsites compared to the US
- Only one or two carrier used
- higher capex due to more cellsite
- More complex backbone network
- Adding more capacity is relative easy (just add another carrier)
- Cellsite footprint is much smaller thous adding capracity to where it is need is much easier
- Indoor coverage is better due to smaller footprint of each site

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Although the MacR article focuses on Manhattan, the image appears to claim AT&T is promising an upgraded network nation-wide. And it says LTE in 2011.

I remember when the 3GS was released, they promised speeds of 7.2Mbps by the end of 2010 (double the regular 3G, but below 4G). Okay, the iPhone 4 is out now. Are the 3GS people going to get their 7.2Mbps???? :confused:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Although the MacR article focuses on Manhattan, the image appears to claim AT&T is promising an upgraded network nation-wide. And it says LTE in 2011.

I remember when the 3GS was released, they promised speeds of 7.2Mbps by the end of 2010 (double the regular 3G, but below 4G). Okay, the iPhone 4 is out now. Are the 3GS people going to get their 7.2Mbps???? :confused:

7.2 is a marketing gimmick based on ideal lab tests

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
In every other country around the world cellulars providers can offer decent indoor coverage in large metro areas with skyscrapers - then why not in New York?

The problem has more to do with the number of cell-sites then inferior radio chips.

The US carriers network design is flawed and that is causing most of the problems. If you compare the networks design in a typical european city and a typical american city you will find that there at substantially fewer cell-sites in US city. In the US the the networks design dictates fewer sites with multiple carriers and in europe there are 2-3 x more cellsites using one or maybe two carriers.

When using WCDMA this difference can be huge.

The difference is:

US
- Fewer cellsites
- more carriers used
- low capex (investment in equipment)
- Adding more capacity is limited and difficult
- Harder to add capacity to where it is needed due to large footprints
- Indoor coverage can be difficult

Europe
- 2-3 x cellsites compared to the US
- Only one or two carrier used
- higher capex due to more cellsite
- More complex backbone network
- Adding more capacity is relative easy (just add another carrier)
- Cellsite footprint is much smaller thous adding capracity to where it is need is much easier
- Indoor coverage is better due to smaller footprint of each site

europe has skyscrapers? i thought i saw a few in germany. don't remember any in italy

KidFresh

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
NYC
I honestly don't even care about 4G internet service in Manhattan. Just fix the constant dropped calls issues. AT&T can take their new stats and shove it.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
WTF, San Francisco is the tech capitol of the US. Shows you how backwards this company is...

rconsult4602

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
dropped iphone calls solved

:) always carry a Blackberry with Buetooth for tough reception areas,,,keepBB in pocket and pretend to be using iPhone...you look cool and don't miss any calls!!

dented42ford

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I live on Wilshire near the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, and I have ZERO reception in my apartment. Also, when driving around LA, I must drop calls 3-4 times an hour. It is freaking ridiculous!

The AT&T Los Angeles - the city, not the OC, not Torrance, not Commerce, but LOS ANGELES - coverage is basically craptastic. I've dropped calls driving (with a Bluetooth headset) down Sunset, Fairfax, Santa Monica, La Brea, and pretty much everywhere else - there are so many dead zones and places where the congestion gets bad that I literally couldn't count them.

I just moved here from Austin, TX, and the difference is just astounding to me.

I will admit that Orange County has fine reception. Most of the SF Valley does too. But LA proper? Horrible.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I live on Wilshire near the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles, and I have ZERO reception in my apartment. Also, when driving around LA, I must drop calls 3-4 times an hour. It is freaking ridiculous!

The AT&T Los Angeles - the city, not the OC, not Torrance, not Commerce, but LOS ANGELES - coverage is basically craptastic. I've dropped calls driving (with a Bluetooth headset) down Sunset, Fairfax, Santa Monica, La Brea, and pretty much everywhere else - there are so many dead zones and places where the congestion gets bad that I literally couldn't count them.

I just moved here from Austin, TX, and the difference is just astounding to me.

I will admit that Orange County has fine reception. Most of the SF Valley does too. But LA proper? Horrible.

how do you know it's not your bluetooth? same frequencies as wifi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.