Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Can anyone confirm if this works if you buy from Apple or does it have to be AT&T or Best Buy? Their language is vague in "Trade-in: Must use the AT&T trade-in program in an eligible store or online."

I have a Plus reserved at an Apple store for today, but I can't do it without the trade in. Thanks.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
My husband bought a 7 yesterday with the trade in promo but his phone is not keeping cell service. Does he exchange it with AT&T or Apple genius? We just want to make sure he doesn't loose his monthly trade in credit.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Did my trade in yesterday - after getting
my 7 on Friday. Wiped my 6, both physically and software-lly (wish that was a word). Put it back in its original box and went to the ATT store (box not necessary but it helped with the presentation). I got the same trade in form that said the value is $170, but it was zeroed out and said Fall2016Promo. Old phone was placed in a green evidence bag and I was sent on my way. Assuming the credits kick in when they're supposed to in a few months, this will have been pretty seamless.
[doublepost=1474216533][/doublepost]
Why are they even doing this?

Because T-Mobile struck first right after the iPhone 7 was announced and all the other carriers panicked as they could see the churn right before their very eyes.

ATT's big promo after the event was related to DIRECTV. They quickly threw this one together to avoid massive churn.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Got it, thanks. The ATT rep told me on the phone that I'm not eligible for it because I already purchased it through Apple and did not purchase my 7 Plus through ATT.
If you are paying for the phone via Next, the rep was wrong.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Got it, thanks. The ATT rep told me on the phone that I'm not eligible for it because I already purchased it through Apple and did not purchase my 7 Plus through ATT.

Simple solution is to return your phone to Apple and buy another one from ATT using Next.. Most of the I7 are available (except Jet black) and even 7+ I think it will improve as time go by. It is hard to argue not waiting for a month or 2 for 400+ promotion credit even if someone want a 7+..

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Can someone confirm if this matches the email you got from AT&T after filling out the forms?

My Trade-in
  • Trade-in date: September 18, 2016
  • Invoice #:
  • Item #:
  • Credit type: AT&T Promotion Card
  • Credit amount: $0.00

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Can someone confirm if this matches the email you got from AT&T after filling out the forms?

My Trade-in
  • Trade-in date: September 18, 2016
  • Invoice #:
  • Item #:
  • Credit type: AT&T Promotion Card
  • Credit amount: $0.00

I got a similar e-mail after doing the online form, but I got nervous about sending in my iPhone, called to cancel my online trade-in, and went to an AT&T store today instead. The terms and conditions on the AT&T website for the trade-in made me nervous. Unlike sites like Gazelle and Nextworth, there is nothing about them sending your phone back if they don't think it's in good enough condition - maybe unlikely to be an issue, but you never know. Went to my local AT&T store today and walked about with a piece of paper confirming my trade-in - similar to what you will see online, the trade zeroes out once they put in the promo code. But, unlike the the online trade-in, I think the store representative is effectively accepting your trade-in. I felt a lot better about that.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I got a similar e-mail after doing the online form, but I got nervous about sending in my iPhone, called to cancel my online trade-in, and went to an AT&T store today instead. The terms and conditions on the AT&T website for the trade-in made me nervous. Unlike sites like Gazelle and Nextworth, there is nothing about them sending your phone back if they don't think it's in good enough condition - maybe unlikely to be an issue, but you never know. Went to my local AT&T store today and walked about with a piece of paper confirming my trade-in - similar to what you will see online, the trade zeroes out once they put in the promo code. But, unlike the the online trade-in, I think the store representative is effectively accepting your trade-in. I felt a lot better about that.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. Where did you buy your phone? I just got mine from the Apple Store, which seems to have mixed reports on success with this trade in. The language is very vague and it seems like they should let it through. Maybe if I tell them I'm taking my 10 lines to VZW if they won't do it I'll have some leverage. :)

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Yeah, I'm feeling the same way. Where did you buy your phone? I just got mine from the Apple Store, which seems to have mixed reports on success with this trade in. The language is very vague and it seems like they should let it through. Maybe if I tell them I'm taking my 10 lines to VZW if they won't do it I'll have some leverage. :)

I bought through AT&T (online), so it was pretty smooth for me. My understanding is that, as long as your new iPhone is financed through AT&T Next, you're eligible regardless of whether you bought it through Apple or AT&T. The rep at the AT&T store didn't even ask me where I bought it. She entered the IMEI's for each phone, entered my phone number, printed out a confirmation page, and I was on my way.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I bought through AT&T (online), so it was pretty smooth for me. My understanding is that, as long as your new iPhone is financed through AT&T Next, you're eligible regardless of whether you bought it through Apple or AT&T. The rep at the AT&T store didn't even ask me where I bought it. She entered the IMEI's for each phone, entered my phone number, printed out a confirmation page, and I was on my way.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Many peoples still don't understand why the trade-in value become $0 after typing the promotion code. It's a trap by AT&T.

Verizon: they guarantee the minimum trade-in value even if you cancel the line earlier than 24 months. For example, if you cancel the line in Nov, 2016, Verizon will refund you $160 if the old phone had $160 trade-in value before typing the promotion code. They will refund $350 if it was $350, for example 128GB 6s+.

AT&T: they also guarantee the minimum trade-in value but it's $0.00. If you cancel the line in Nov, 2016, you will get $0.00. Congratulation! You just sold your shiny iPhone 6s plus 128GB for $0.00. If you cancel the line in Dec, 2016, you will get $27. You can't argue because you agreed on the $0.00 train-in agreement. AT&T will tell you "Sir! You should have read the fine prints before signing."

Class action lawsuits are coming...

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
Many peoples still don't understand why the trade-in value become $0 after typing the promotion code. It's a trap by AT&T.

Verizon: they guarantee the minimum trade-in value even if you cancel the line earlier than 24 months. For example, if you cancel the line in Nov, 2016, Verizon will refund you $160 if the old phone had $160 trade-in value before typing the promotion code. They will refund $350 if it was $350, for example 128GB 6s+.

AT&T: they also guarantee the minimum trade-in value but it's $0.00. If you cancel the line in Nov, 2016, you will get $0.00. Congratulation! You just sold your shiny iPhone 6s plus 128GB for $0.00. If you cancel the line in Dec, 2016, you will get $27. You can't argue because you agreed on the $0.00 train-in agreement. AT&T will tell you "Sir! You should have read the fine prints before signing."

Class action lawsuits are coming...

Well, that's a little cynical :). To be more serious, AT&T can't just do that with this offer. They have made this offer public including detailed instructions on how to accept it on their website. It would be nice to have something more in writing than what I got, but I don't think that releases them of legal liability to fulfill their end of the deal if you comply with the terms required. There was some legal language about the trade being contingent on confirmation of the condition of your phone that made me nervous about sending in my phone instead of processing the trade in the store, but none of that legal language accompanied what I signed in store because the store associate was accepting the condition on the spot.

Of course, I'm going to keep my form and make sure those credits start showing up on my bill.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Keep in mind that iPhones through AT&T are locked to AT&T, and they do not have CDMA radios in them so even if you unlock them they won't work on CDMA networks such as sprint and Verizon. Phones purchased through Apple have both GSM and CDMA radios in them and are unlocked from the get go.

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
I'm planning to take advantage of this offer myself, but I'm going to a store to process the trade-in. I feel nervous about sending an iPhone 6s+ in great condition to someone with some fine print saying you won't get your trade back even if it isn't in what they consider to be good condition.

If anyone else has already gone to a store to process the trade-in, I'd be interested to hear about your experience.
I just came back from the AT&T store. They told me that i have to ship the old phone because i bought the 7+ at the Apple Store, even though i used AT&T Next at the Apple Store. Very disappointing.

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
I heard about this promo from a friend and didn't really understand it. I really don't like the idea of joining AT&T Next but this promo might suck me in. I am getting tired of selling my iPhone on craigslist every year.

The only thing that scares me is the "UP TO" language. Does that mean you'll only get that much if you have a 6s Plus 128GB in great condition?

There is no "UP TO" language in this particular promotion. Trade in your paid off iPhone 6 or newer and you get $650 credit applied over the course of 30 months ($21.67 credit per month). The only way you would not get the full $650 credit is if you pay off your iPhone 7 before the 30 months is up.

airjay75

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2014
I just came back from the AT&T store. They told me that i have to ship the old phone because i bought the 7+ at the Apple Store, even though i used AT&T Next at the Apple Store. Very disappointing.

That is disappointing and it seems ridiculous. You have my sympathies.

I have a 7+ I ordered for my father and I have been debating whether to cancel my AT&T order and switch to apple, but since I want to do the deal on his phone too, I guess I better tough it out with AT&T.

Reactions: clunkmess

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

Was this a corporate store? That is not what they told my sister and I when we went in to pre order for the trade in deal. He said when she gets her new phone, bring in her 6 to trade in and the promotion will start. She was in town visiting me and lives on the Coast. When she got her new phone, she went to the only ATT by her house, but it was not a corporate store and they told her she had to mail it in. So, now she has to come back here to the Corporate store to trade it in.

clunkmess

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
California
Was this a corporate store? That is not what they told my sister and I when we went in to pre order for the trade in deal. He said when she gets her new phone, bring in her 6 to trade in and the promotion will start. She was in town visiting me and lives on the Coast. When she got her new phone, she went to the only ATT by her house, but it was not a corporate store and they told her she had to mail it in. So, now she has to come back here to the Corporate store to trade it in.
it's listed as an 'AT&T Company Store'. Perhaps i'll try my luck at another store.

just called another store to inquire. The guy claimed that the offer is only available to those who start a new line of service and also have DirecTV. I insisted that the offer was for existing customers as well, but he fired back with, "Well this is what i know!"

I guess i'll just try my luck with the shipping process.

Last edited:

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
My dad did the promo yesterday at At&t they didn't have Mattel back and they had to order it and ship it to his office he's trading in his iPhone 6 128 Gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.