AT&T Unlocked off Contract iPhones Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Makaveli6103, Apr 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Here is the link to the article.

But my question is that my contract ends in June and want to do this before my Europe vacation. I am currently unlocked and jailbroken in my iPhone 4 5.0.1 Baseband 1.59.00. Should I even bother?

2. macrumors 604

labman

wait till it happens mean time preserve you unlockable baseband at all cost!

3. macrumors 6502

Here's AT&T's official statement on the matter:

Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee.

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):):)

4. macrumors newbie

Awesome except I got my 4s on a 2 yr agreement six months ago and spend most of my time in Canada! This still doesn't help me.

5. dhlizard, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

macrumors G4

dhlizard

Edit: According to what is stated, you will have to satisfy your early termination fee to qualify.

**I will be in the AT&T Store Monday morning as I have 2 iPhones to unlock **

6. Qoo
    macrumors 6502

negotiate with them, i am sure some one their could help you out, if not just pay the early termination fee to get it officially unlock :)

7. macrumors 604

labman

great to AT&T finally come around about this. anything is better then nothing but it's honestly pretty fair.

8. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I thought this day will never come.
    Very good news.

9. macrumors 6502

are you sure it only $10/month for the remaining months?

I thought it is $325-$10 x # months completed (out of 2 years) ?

10. macrumors 65816

OceanView

This is great news.
    I may not have to jail break after this.
    Oh wait, there is this other thing called tethering...

11. macrumors 6502

I just read this and it is awesome news. Gonna unlock my ip4 before selling it.

12. macrumors 68040

eastercat

I can't wait until my contract ends in October. I'm going to keep my 1.59 bb until then, if I have to go out of country on vacation.
    I'll still be jb for things like showcase, but it'll be such a relief to not have to worry about bb anymore.

13. macrumors 6502

Seriously.

14. macrumors P6

dukebound85

It is not that cheap. it is 325 - 10* (however many months you have have been in contract).

So if you have 2 months left, you will pay an ETF of 105 bucks

15. macrumors G4

dhlizard

If/when you call for this, ask for tech support. That is where they are doing the IMEI unlocks.

16. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

So how did it go?

17. macrumors 68030

I just called to request my unlock but I'm not eligible yet because I'm still under contract until June 17th. I'm assuming that everyone who got the iphone 4 when it first came out will be in the same boat.

18. macrumors 604

labman

I know I learned that my eligibility for a new iPhone was different then my contract end date. I was allowed to get a 4S in early Feb. However my contract end date was more like July. I also wonder how AT&T is tracking the accounts via phone number, serial # or IMEI etc.

19. Applejuiced, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I thought if you are on a new contract attached to another device then the old iphone could be unlocked.
    Weird, what does it matter when you old contract would have expired when you signed a whole new one since? AT&T is going to be a pain not wanting to unlock phones.
    Other companies unlock them within months even brand new 4S devices.

20. braddick, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    There is no incentive for AT&T to unlock iPhones that are physically not being used, with a contract on another iPhone. (Same phone number, different, newer iPhone.)
    Owning a 4S, for example, under contract doesn't mean AT&T should then be obligated to unlock your prior 3GS.

Instead of being obligated to unlock hundreds of thousands of iPhones (many people just toss their older iDevices in drawers and forget about them...). They're setting themselves up to only unlock tens of thousands: current, in-use iPhones under current out of contract.
    Most iPhones don't meet that requirement as many people, myself included, upgrade constantly and are rarely out of contract, thus not qualifying for an unlock at this time on our older, unused iPhones.
    The new iPhone5 release will slow down even further the number of iPhones that qualify for an unlock as contracts are upgraded with the same line, newer iPhone.

Edited for clarification.

21. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

According to their statement they will start unlocking iphones that are out of contract to customers in good standing.
    They dont have to but are willing I guess and the only requirements are below. Here AT&T's statement:

Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee.

22. macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

If the IMEI shows to be under contract, they won't unlock it even if you are in good standing. I just got 2 out of 3 of my iPhones unlocked. My AT&T account is about 4 years old with bills paid every month and currently I have two iPhones 4s, one iPhone 4 and LTE iPad.

23. macrumors 68040

braddick

I'd love to be wrong on this!
    I attempted to unlock an older iPhone2G with this new stipulation and got the runaround stating AT&T only unlocks iPhones that are currently being used yet out of contract.

If they are indeed unlocking iPhones that are not ported to a number at all then they're going to get slammed once the word gets out.

24. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I hear you, many will get the runaround and just because you found an unhelpfull or misinformed AT&T rep doesnt mean you should give up.
    Its clear in their statement that they will unlock devices and what you were told was incorrect IMO.
    Like others said you will have to be transfered to tech support for them to do the unlock.
    Good luck.

25. macrumors 68000

Arisian

So, from what I've read, it still looks like I'm SOL.

I have two iPhone 4's that are currently locked, purchased second hand from previous AT&T customers.

I live overseas and haven't been an AT&T customer, other than go phone, since August of 2011.

Thoughts?