Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
attDeathStar.jpg

"...you're not my father!"

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Look, I don't have time to do it for real, but just imagine that everywhere you bashed att i wrote (in your opinion) next to it. ATT is great for me, i have had no major issues. Sorry you do, but dont make blanket statements without at least adding "in my opinion" or "in my area". It just makes you sound like a troll and not someone interested in a real discussion.

Are you responding to the right post? Has ATT's 3G coverage been great for you? Has your EDGE bandwidth been up to 3G levels? I'm pretty sure this is not a matter of opinion....

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
If you read what I wrote, you'd have seen that I have no problem agreeing to a 2 year contract with my current service plan. The problem is that they won't do that. If I want a new phone, I have to change plans, whether it's for an iPhone or any other phone that is locked to AT&T. That's what I don't want. I want to keep my plan, adding a data plan if I got an iPhone, of course. The currently available plans are much worse deals than my plan which I've had for several years.

Contract? I've got no problem with that. Change plans to one that costs more and gives me less? Now we've got a problem.

I'm cornfused. When I was a pre-iPhone Cingular customer, I had (something like) 800 family-talk rollover minutes, an extra cell & cell number for my wife, and a $50 data plan for my TreeStump 650. We shared the pool of rolloverminutes.

When I purchased the iPhone, on activiting it, as a Cingular customer, I was offered the opportunity to replace a phone on the current plan with the iPhone, and transfer the old phone (Treo's) number to the iphone. So I did.

"Did I agree to an additional $20 data charge on the plan?"

Sure. I didn't know what would happen to the $50 I was paying for the Treo, but I figured if they didn't get it right, AT&T would fix it.

So, my bill is now less by $30. And I kept our old rollover minutes. And the Treo is an ugly paperweight.

I did NOT have to change plans, and anyone who tells you different has never activated an iPhone via iTunes.

-- Mikie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
I'm cornfused. When I was a pre-iPhone Cingular customer, I had (something like) 800 family-talk rollover minutes, an extra cell & cell number for my wife, and a $50 data plan for my TreeStump 650. We shared the pool of rolloverminutes.

When I purchased the iPhone, on activiting it, as a Cingular customer, I was offered the opportunity to replace a phone on the current plan with the iPhone, and transfer the old phone (Treo's) number to the iphone. So I did.

"Did I agree to an additional $20 data charge on the plan?"

Sure. I didn't know what would happen to the $50 I was paying for the Treo, but I figured if they didn't get it right, AT&T would fix it.

So, my bill is now less by $30. And I kept our old rollover minutes. And the Treo is an ugly paperweight.

I did NOT have to change plans, and anyone who tells you different has never activated an iPhone via iTunes.

-- Mikie

Exactly. What people need to understand is that you are not forced to use the three recommended plans through iTunes. I switched from in October after 10 years of being treated like a criminal (Love Cingular, they came a long way since my college days, let's just hope ATT doesn't screw it up again), and when I activated my iPhone, I chose a plan, then called into Cingular/ATT and simply told them to keep me on the smaller monthly minute plan. As I text more than I talk, my minutes rack up, and I currently have over 3,000 roll over minutes to use before my next billing cycle in June next year. SO my phone bill is less than $100/month, with unlimited data and text messaging. You can use whatever voice plan you want with the $20 unlimited plan that is only available for iPhone customers...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Are you responding to the right post? Has ATT's 3G coverage been great for you? Has your EDGE bandwidth been up to 3G levels? I'm pretty sure this is not a matter of opinion....

Uh, I was responding to the post that Winterspan made about EDGE being terrible and 3G not being up to par at ATT. I live in the NY/NJ metro area, and I get VERY good coverage, and VERY good EDGE speeds. Except for when I visited a friend in Portland, ME, I have yet to encounter a time when I was disappointed in the speeds EDGE gave me on my iphone. There's more to user experience than just bandwith. And people are real quick to declare "ATT SUX EVERYONE KNOWS IT" and not taking into account that its that it is not the right choice FOR THEIR NEEDS. Wandering around declaring how much better the iphone would be with 3G or CDMA or GPS or your mom or whatever else you want to throw in there is appropriate in certain threads but shouldn't be coming up every. single. time. Would 3G be awesome? Absolutely. Does it ruin my iPhone experience not to have it? No way. Does that really make me someone who is apologizing and justifying my purchase? Nope. It means that 3G is not necessary TO MY USE OF MY MACHINE. For someone else it might suck. Oh well. I can understand their bitterness, but don't tell me I am making excuses or being a brainless fangirl for it. That's what I was referring to.

And if you are curious:

IPhone vs Treo (iPhone on WiFi)
iPhone EDGE v EVDO 1
iPhone EDGE v EVDO 2

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Exactly. What people need to understand is that you are not forced to use the three recommended plans through iTunes. I switched from in October after 10 years of being treated like a criminal (Love Cingular, they came a long way since my college days, let's just hope ATT doesn't screw it up again), and when I activated my iPhone, I chose a plan, then called into Cingular/ATT and simply told them to keep me on the smaller monthly minute plan. As I text more than I talk, my minutes rack up, and I currently have over 3,000 roll over minutes to use before my next billing cycle in June next year. SO my phone bill is less than $100/month, with unlimited data and text messaging. You can use whatever voice plan you want with the $20 unlimited plan that is only available for iPhone customers...

Snowy_River is on a grandfathered plan. ATT Blue (old ATT Wireless before it got swallowed by Cingular) had some plans that are unmatched in today's market. AT&Tingular wants these plans to go away. Badly. So any upgrade of any sort (including an iphone) will trigger a forced upgrade to a different plan.

(Mods: I meant to reply to this at the same time as my previous post and didn't get a chance...can they be merged? Thanks! You guys are awesome!)

SPQR

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
On this very page, (I assume its targeted at me in the UK) MacRumors are showing a Google advert that claims Unlock Your Mobile £2.49, Unlock any phone on any network, Use any Sim instantly Pay by Paypal

Sorry guys but this is bull.. Any phone??? they wont unlock the iPhone, which last time I looked, was a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.