AT&T Wireless T68i "Upgrade" Isn't.

Discussion in 'Community' started by phillymjs, Feb 27, 2004.

1. phillymjs macrumors regular

So I get this card in the mail today, telling me that since I'm a valued customer of AT&T Wireless and Sony-Ericsson, they're giving me a free phone upgrade, to the T226. According to the card, when the new phone arrives, it will includes a "return kit" that I must use to return my T68i.

Sounds great, right? Well, probably not for any Mac user who bought the T68i to use with their machine. Take a look at the feature comparison. No IR or Bluetooth, no SyncML (or *any* PC sync capability), wimpy address book, no calendar, no voice dialing, no modem capability, and half the memory of the T68i.

Someone please tell me, how can they consider this an upgrade? Because to me it looks like I'd be trading very useful features for stupid crap like more games and polyphonic ringtones. Whoo-hoo, what a deal. :rolleyes: Maybe if it was a trade-up to a T616, it would be worth it, but the T226 is a piece of crap in comparison.

First I thought about just calling them and refusing the new phone... but one of my co-workers has a broken T68i that he no longer uses and was going to give me for parts. I'm thinking of keeping my T68i, selling the T226 for a few bucks on eBay, and sending his broken T68i back to Sony-Ericsson in return for it.

But now I've looked at the T616, and I kinda like it except for the built-in camera. I go to some places where cameras are not welcomed and where camera phones must be checked at the door, but I prefer to remain reachable while there. Anyone know of a reason why, if I did pick up a T616, I couldn't keep both phones and just move the SIM card back and forth between the two? That way, I could have a cool, new phone most of the time but I'd still have a phone for when I'd be going to places with no-camera policies.

~Philly

2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

My wife handles the mail. She must have missed the postcard. Or they never sent me one. :rolleyes: Anyway, I just got a package in the mail from AT&T Wireless and Sony-Ericsson--I'm sure you can guess what was inside. I remember reading your post a while ago, so I wasn't totally caught off guard. But I'm not sure what to do. I actually didn't use my T68 for any of its PDA features except the phonebook aspect. And I didn't use the Bluetooth much, but I did really like being able to sync my address book to it. On the other hand, I recently dropped my T68 and busted the battery latch. I have to use tape to keep the battery from getting loose enough to cut the power supply. It looks pretty crappy. I'm leaning toward accepting the phone, but I'm not sure how grateful I am that AT&T and Sony-Ericsson were feeling so "generous."

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It's not a required upgrade. They're basically giving new phones to all of their customers in certain area's so that you will have better service. They just can't afford to give out hig price phones to everybody. Don't use the phone if you don't want to, but expect lackluster coverage as the other MHz network expands.

BEN

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i got this postcard as well, and checked out the phone comparison on the web site set up to describe the "upgrade". philly, you're right - it doesn't even look like an upgrade from the feature comparison on the site! i bought my t68i because i wanted bluetooth capability (used to have a sony clie nx70v with a bluetooth memory stick to do some internet browsing). still working on getting my powerbook to get internet access through the t68i when i'm not near a wifi access point (can't get one of the gprs scripts i downloaded to work), so i still want bluetooth.

anyway, is it required to return your t68i? my husband just dropped his phone and busted it up a little, so he might be interested in the new one (also with at&t). i have the postcard in my "to do" pile on my desk to call customer service and inquire about this, but just thought i'd ask in case anyone already knew...

thanks!
    marianne

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I got this as an SMS today. I mean really, do they even think it's an acceptable replacement? I understand that giving out a T616/610 would be expensive, but at least the features would be comparable.

Either way, I'll probably have a P800 or S700 by the time they get rid of 1900GSM completely anyway.

6. leonardom macrumors newbie

I was upgraded to the T616

My wife and I had the T68i and I heard about the upgrade and called AT&T. After arguing that the T226 would not allow me international service and bluetooth capability, not to mention I had originally paid full pop for the T68i, they finally agreed to send us two T616s at no charge. I then called Sony and they said they were still sending the T226s (eBay). BTW in Los Angeles AT&T GSM was non existent on theT68i. The T616 works much better.

I hope this helps people

7. massmac macrumors newbie

Letter to Sony Ericsson/AT&T

Has everyone signed the open letter??

http://attletter.winstrands.com

It addresses the following:
    List of grievances:

AT&T Wireless stores sold the Sony-Ericsson T68i phone to many AT&T customers.

AT&T’s network has never properly supported the Sony-Ericsson T68i.

Longstanding AT&T customers using the T68i have been subject to terrible reception, dropped calls, loss of contact information, and other inconveniences due to these incompatibilities and/or design flaws.

AT&T’s proposed solution involves replacing a high-end, business feature rich phone with a low-end T226 phone.

The T226 phone only works in North America, and does not support Infrared transfers, Bluetooth accessories, and other features of the T68i.

AT&T had the nerve to spin the exchange as an “upgrade,” insulting the intelligence of its customers.

Take a look at the link and sign up to let them know how you feel.

Thanks!

8. dbbotkin macrumors newbie

Every cloud has a silver lining. . ..

The Sony Ericssin rep I spoke to on the phone about the upgrade (NOT!) agreed and said "give the phone to a friend" and I said "so I can dispose of it as I see fit?" answer: "Yes."

So, for the hour spent evaluating the 'upgrade' on the 'net and the 20 min. wait on the phone, I get a nice headset and extra charger for my T68i and a spare for 'just in case'. Seems fair to me.

The *big* difference is that you lose the 900MHz band used in many foreign locations in exchange for the 850MHz mostly USA band to improve reception. Hmmm. ..

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, since I already have a backup (A T306 that I got for free, because the kiosk place in the mall didn't have a T68i's in stock), I'm going to give the 226 to my brother to replace his 306 which he hates so very very much.