Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shelbymayer

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
As an at&t employee let me clear up some confusion...if the phone doesnt work right from the start (you did not leave the store with it) then at&t will replace it...this is called an obf or out of box failure...if you step foot out the door and even 10 minutes later it does not work then that becomes apples problem...this has been the case since the iphone 3g!

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
As an at&t employee let me clear up some confusion...if the phone doesnt work right from the start (you did not leave the store with it) then at&t will replace it...this is called an obf or out of box failure...if you step foot out the door and even 10 minutes later it does not work then that becomes apples problem...this has been the case since the iphone 3g!

Well at my store they have always exchanged defective units right out of the box up until now. As I mentioned in a previous post I actually received quite a few over the years from this store. They always exchanged it as long as I had my receipt. This went for any smartphone.

I can do math and grammar. Can you?

Well haven't seen you do it yet!

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
Apple would have overnighted you a replacement. If you can't wait 1 night you have issues.

Sunrise747

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I just went through this exact problem today. I ordered online a new iPhone 5 from AT&T to upgrade my old iPhone 3. It arrived yesterday afternoon. It became immediately clear that it was defective right out of the box because the ear speaker was not working. On a call the caller could hear me fine. I could not hear them at all -- unless I placed them on speakerphone. Silly me, I was certain that my local corporate AT&T store would simply swap me for a new one. That was not to be. I was very unapologetically told my defective iPhone, which they (AT&T) had just sold me, was Apple's problem, not theirs. With steam coming out of my ears I went home and called Apple Support. They told me the AT&T store lady was wrong and that they should swap it if less than 14 since purchase (it had been one day since delivery). So I called AT&T customer service and they CONFIRMED what Apple said. I then used AT&T online chat to GET THAT IN WRITING before going back to the AT&T store. And for good measure I called AT&T customer service AGAIN to confirm (and secretly recorded the call so I could play it back to the store lady). But this THIRD AT&T person said the store lady was CORRECT and that it was between me and Apple. He got an Apple person on the phone and this SECOND Apple person confirmed that was the policy. The moment it leaves AT&T's hands it is Apple's problem. The Apple rep (he was very nice) walked me through a reset and a restore, none of which worked. And then he explained my options: 1. Take it to an Apple store and, provided they had one of the exact same models in stock, they just might swap me. 2. Send Apple the phone and they would mail me a new one back- assume 7-10 days. 3. For $29 and temporary $750 hold on my card they would Fedex me a new phone and remove the hold when I returned the bad one. 4. Buy an Apple Care Plan for $69 or $99 (depending on features) and they would provide option 3 for free.

I went with option #3 since the closest Apple store is 2 hours roundtrip and there was no guarantee I would get a new phone. Bottom line? NEVER buy a phone from AT&T by phone or online. Only buy it in the store and MAKE CERTAIN it works PERFECTLY before you leave the store. Better yet...go with VERIZON since AT&T customer service SUCKS badly. As you can see from my experience both Apple and AT&T staff were unclear about the defective device return policy.

Last edited:

southfrisco

macrumors member
May 24, 2009
I can't believe it but I would side with AT&T here. Dealing with Apple hardware is entirely different than other cell phone manufacturers. Remember it is Apple's hardware, AT&T sells the cell service. AT&T and other carriers might have received a memo from Apple to send requests for returns to either an Apple store or call Apple care.

When my 3G (that I purchased from an AT&T store) had a hardware issue I went to an Apple store. At no time did it cross my mind AT&T had to replace the hardware.

Lastly just because you didn't get what you wanted initially doesn't make the floor sales reps incompetent and rude. Try working retail with the public once and you would realize what these people have to put up with on a daily basis.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
The receipt at AT&T says that it's apples replacement at all times, even within 30 days.

Jayz2

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Purchased an iPhone 5 yesterday at an AT&T corporate store and it was defective with a bad screen. I took it there today and the girl came out with a new one and then the manager stopped her and said they don't do DOA exchanges on iPhones anymore. She told me I'd have to take it to Apple. Then she said Apple handles all issues in the first 30 days now.

Complete BS!!! I said forget it, paid the $35 restocking fee and left as the nearest Apple store is 2.5 hours away.

Wow. Could this be because of all the defective iPhone 5s that were going out? The back of the receipt did say this.

Ouch, that sucks! Sorry to hear this.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

I almost got the same result today, but he said since I got it so recently and I proved my screen issue to him that he'd ask his manager and the manager cleared it. Got a brand new iPhone 5 replacement and no restocking fee. Sounds like its partly to their discretion.

stanfidavid

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
The warranty is with Apple not AT&T
a115.jpg

bandityo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
yea, thats why I always check mine thoroughly before leaving the store while the attendant is doing the paperwork and before I sign on it. Then they would replace it if I found problems there in the store.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Read up a few posts. They credited me $78 as a courtesy credit. I'm very pleased with AT&T's customer service.

So for all of that trouble you only scored a net of $43? Considering you still don't have the phone you want, plus all of the badgering you had to try with the manager I'd say you got the short end of the stick... It's bad that the nearest apple store is so far away. Have you gotten the phone you want yet?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I'm not surprised. AT&T has made it clear that they don't interfere with Apple hardware problems, even if you just bought it. Of course, since the nearest Apple store is far from you, it's not fair to you and they should have not charged you the restocking fee.

In most areas, it's as easy as walking to the other end of the mall to go to the Apple store :)

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Next time go to the manufacturer/Apple.
The wireless carrier doesnt provide warranty services, they just sell the phone and plan.
Apple handles the hardware issues, replacement, exchanges etc..

Is this true? Because I bought my iPhone 5 from Verizon and wanted to exchange for a phone with a higher storage capacity, and when I called apple they said I would have to go to a Verizon store and exchange it.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Is this true? Because I bought my iPhone 5 from Verizon and wanted to exchange for a phone with a higher storage capacity, and when I called apple they said I would have to go to a Verizon store and exchange it.
Yes it is true for defective iPhones. Your device warranty is provided by Apple.

In your case you want to do an exchange for a different device ( color or capacity ). That's why Apple is telling you to return to Verizon. Verizon has a 14 day return / exchange policy.

Wireless Device/Accessory Return Policy

You may return or exchange wireless devices and accessories purchased from Verizon Wireless within 14 days of purchase. A restocking fee of $35 ($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to any return or exchange of a wireless device (excluding Hawaii).

This return and exchange policy does not apply to customers who have purchased a Prepaid Plan.

Exchange New Merchandise

You are permitted to make one exchange. To make an exchange, return the merchandise (including device, charger, battery, instructions, and any other components) in the ORIGINAL box. All merchandise must be in like-new condition and accompanied by the original receipt. Shipping charges may apply to exchange merchandise sent to you by Verizon Wireless.

source: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/support/return-policy

Dave

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
I returned it and paid the $35 restocking fee but got it waived by Customer Care. AT&T customer care is great btw.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go back to the store to buy a new iPhone 5. Hopefully it will be problem free. However, before i swipe my card, I will be thoroughly checking the phone for the following:

LOOSE SLEEP WAKE BUTTON
Loose home button
Test speaker
Test headphone jack
Examine phone for manufacture defects

Pretty much the whole 9 yards. Paying full retail, entitles me to that, as it won't be cheap. I shouldn't have to settle for a loose sleep wake button when the next guy gets one that is firm.

nyli2

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Just returned my iPhone 5 because of the battery today was the 14th and I ended up having to pay the $35 such BS never was it this way, back on my iPhone 4 ..

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2012
Just returned my iPhone 5 because of the battery today was the 14th and I ended up having to pay the $35 such BS never was it this way, back on my iPhone 4 ..

Yeah AT&T likes to charge restocking fees for defective phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.