Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKwak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
This is for a G4 iBook 12".

1) I have removed the battery.

2) Flipped the iBook and removed the keyboard.

3) I can see the open slot for the airport extreme card.

4) I see the metal clip and one wire that I have connected to the AE card.

5) I understand that the side that says "Airport Extreme" needs to be facing me. Therefore, the the hole that connects with the wire is on the top right.

I do not know to work with the clips. It wouldn't budge.
Can someone provide me with more instructions? The Apple support page is not doing it for the newbie.

iKwak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
In the Apple installation instruction pdf, #3 says "Remove the Metal clip and pull the Airport Card from the iMac Airport Adapter card. The adapter and clip are not used with the iBook."

Don't know why that instruction is in the ibook installation guide. Doesn't concern me, right?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
g4 ibooks do use a clip, just like the last ibooks. anyways...make sure the side with the mac addresses are facing you. they clip should nicely go down, shouldnt be a problem. its one of those really easy things that if a person doesnt get i would jsut ahve to be there to help them.

iJon

iKwak

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
This is a bit frustrating.

So I place the Apple ID number side facing me, then try to insert the card in the slot or do I make the AE card go in the clip first?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
its been a while but i believe you just need to lift up the clip, slide the airport card in with the mac addresses facing up (only goes in one way anyways), plug in the antennae and then push the clip down and should lock nice and snug.

iJon

zeylan

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2003
use more force

Yes, you should apply more force. Press as hard as you can, and if it still doesn't snap in snugly, take off your shoe and pound it in there as hard as you can. Sometimes it just takes about 450 psi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.