At the top of the list of people I hate...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Jul 3, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Today I filed my candidacy for the Maryland House of Delegates (District 21). On my way home, I stopped at the grocery store to get some cottage cheese, ice cream, and ricecakes (Lori has interesting cravings). I am in the store for 20 min when I come out and see a big dent on my car.:( Driver's side fender. :mad: It's dented just enough that if the road isn't smooth, the tire grates against the bent metal.:mad: Now I have to take the car into the shop next week (earliest opening). I don't have time to deal with this. I hope whoever it was suffers for a long, long, long time. I mean, if he has scuffed my paint or something, fine. But the ******-******-******-******-******-******-****-******-****** had to leave me with actual body damage.

That's it. I hope he wrecks or gets stuck in the next flash flood we have...

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I thought this was gonna be about MR users you hate. Oh well.

I'm sorry for what happened, that really sucks. I remember a couple years ago some guy took his key to the back of my dads car because my dad had *bump*ed into his *bump*er while parking.

Some people are just *******s.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Ooo...that vindictiveness will get you far in Politics...

Seriously, sorry to hear - some people are just jerks. Most jerks eventually get punched in the face. So it will probably work out...

4. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Sorry mate. Didn't know it was your car. :eek: :eek:

Hope some humour will help you vent.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I had my two-day old car sideswiped in the parking lot of the restaurant i worked at in 89. I seriously would have ended up in jail if I would have caught the guy.

Good luck on gettin' er' fixed up.

Didn't happen here, did it?

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    That sucks. I personally think anyone who hits a car and takes off, if found, should get shot in the head. People are just bastards.

7. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

My friend went to a concert here and after the show he ran into one of the bands from the opening acts as he was leaving the parking lot with his Evo. As he was chatting through the driver's window some guy pulls out of a parking space, runs into him, and drives off all while my friend was in the car.

I don't know thought I had to share. Sorry to hear about your car. Seems the smear campaign starts a little earlier each time there is an election year :p

8. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Have you called to see if the grocery store has a surveillance system?

9. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Ugh, that's the worst. I had someone leave me a real gem a while back.

[​IMG]

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Our minivan was swiped three days ago in a parking lot. $1500 of damage, $500 deductible. The jack*** left pieces of taillight at the scene. I'm going back over the next week to look for a car with a broken taillight and will nail the SOB if possible (via the cops, not via any personal assault giving him the right to sue me).

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    PFt. I charge 5k a head. I'll even reimburse you the 500 for your deductible, and justice will be served.

12. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

No - I was in Maryland City and decided to stop at Shoppers instead of going tonight (save a time and gas). Downtown Annapolis was gorgeous today. I would have loved to have had time to spend the afternoon...

The most frustrating part is that the Shoppers doesn't turn on its cameras until something happens - and even then it is only trained on the entrance. I was talking to the cop that took my report, and apparently that same Shoppers got robbed last week - with no cameras outside the store....cheapskate store owners....

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well at least you didn't run out in the street pumping your fist and cursing.....looking like a crazy person. Sorry to hear.

My s*** list is really long.

Bless

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'd like to hear more about this part. Why are you running? What are your chances?

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Luckily, our deductible is only $250 so it won't be quite as bad. I kinda laughed when the hubby asked if I thought the damage would be more than our deductible. With their method of just replacing damaged pieces rather than banging things out it could very easily cost a pretty penny since it looks like both the front fender and wheel well pieces got dented pretty nicely.

Oh, well, at least he was safe. Makes me think twice about wanting to go there for anything again..... :(

16. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I had a whole nice post typed up and Safari froze - History + google search + switching tabs freaked it out. I'll try to summarize.

This isn't my platform, which I am still refining, but this is what motivated me to want to run:

The General Assembly in MD is heavily dominated by one party. As a byproduct, it feels like they have been very complacent with their position. It doesn't help that the GA is heavily dominated by particular personalities. The resulting effect is that the needs of many local communities get drowned out. My district is one of those that needs a voice that will carry. Plus, the GA likes to spend a lot of money, but we are not so careful in bringing it in. It is good to have an assembly that brings in enough to cover spending, but better to have an assembly that spends only what they have.

Here in my district, there are pretty severe crime issues. Not as bad as some others, but still not the best. Rather than just throwing money at the police and to rehab facilities, it has got to be more effective to improve involvement and education. The more that police are involved in communities and the better we educate children, the better decisions they can make. But, the education needs to be not just the benefits of being good, but the consequences of being bad. Involvement needs to be encouraged not just for police, but for all that should be positive role models - parents, teachers, etc.

A disappointing aspect of small business is that there aren't enough opportunities. People who have been historically shortchanged with government support are being told that they can't change their lot in life and they must continue to rely on the state. More effective is to educate and provide opportunity to enter the free market. The essential underpinning of a true free market - equality of opportunity - necessitates a hand up, not a hand out.

Other topics like home ownership, improving education, and transportation are other concerns. Like I said, I still need to refine my platform.

As for my chances? District 21 is a Democratic stronghold, as evidenced by the registered candidates - 8 Dems, 1 GOP. While party history doesn't stand in my favor, I believe that people want someone who is different from all the other candidates that blur together.

I hope I haven't just moved this thread to the Politics Forum (I can repost this in a new thread there and delete this if you would like).

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about this nbs2. :(

I totally understand your anger. :eek:

Great idea Onizuka! :D :D :D

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good luck, nbs2. Thanks for explaining (twice) why you are running for office.

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah tell me about it. I thought it was going to be me at the top of that list. :p

I always park my car at the extreme far edge of any parking lot. If I have to walk a long ways to the store.... so be it.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I hate apartment living. People have no concern for others property. I will have to post pics of the damage done to my Baja in the past year.

NBS2 Good luck in your run. Having lived in PG County, and still have my sister living there - the issues are more than at the state level.

My sister last year had her home broken in to. Her GM Envoy was stolen in the process. It had OnStar. PG Police did nothing for 5 to 7 days, even though OnStar had a track on the vehicle in the first 24 hours.

Pretty sad when most of my co-workers in Beltsville had to use the Club while parked in our small private parking lot.

iGary had the best solution IMO for the next election cycle. No matter your Party affiliation, just vote out the bastard incumbent. Plain and simple. This would get new blood in to office. And I would hope that we would hold these new idiots better accountable.

BTW (I may push this to even further to the PF's here on MR. But what is your stance on the "Gay" issue? :)

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

This is the action that we took in Pennsylvania over the state government's rather excessive pay raise that they voted for themselves (and in a rather shady method). :)

22. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

This thread makes me happy that I drive a bicycle. ;)

23. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I suppose that it would SuperSnake2012. :p :)

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Is it my imagination, or are people a LOT angrier on the Internet than in real life? (I hope!)

25. iGary Guest

iGary

I had both bumpers replaced a bout two years ago when we moved here form a rear-ender (not my fault) that scratched them both.

I have had more bumper damage done to my car here in our parking lot then from three years of parallel parking in DC. :mad:

I think I am probably going to end up living in the middle of nowhere to get away from people.