At this point who does it seem you are going to vote for?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by acidrock, Mar 7, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

Wondering who people are thinking of voting for. They are saying this election could be as close as the last election. I knew that years ago, and I also had the horrid feeling that Nader would run again. I am not to excited about the canidates that are running, but anyone is better than Bush, including Kerry.

2. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

I think I'm going to cast a protest vote for Kerry over Nader - protest in that I'll do it but be bitching the whole time about how I'd rather be voting for Nader.

Kerry's a good candidate, though - I like him, even though he's a bit of a phony. He's ant-death penalty, for the most part, is a fan of the UN, which I think is still a good idea, and has a good environmental record.

Any chance I had of voting for Bush ended with the constitutional ammendment thing - although there wasn't much of a chance leading up till that. I'm not a fan of the war, don't think you can fight terrorism by committing acts that will inevitably inspire terrorists. And I personally find it rewarding and patriotic to pay my taxes, as much as I know a lot of the good of the money will get caught up in bureaucracy, so the tax break thing doesn't sit with me (same with the deficit). And I'm under the belief that Reagonomics caused the first recession of my lifetime - that of the early 90s, so I am very skeptical of Bush on that one - the whole trickle down thing. Although I like his advocacy for change from bellow, articulated in the Fait-Based Initiatives proposal.

But Kerry it is - although Nader is my man, since he's got the right ground on the issues of corporate crime and undue influence over politics and everyday life.

Davis

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Kerry. He is a fine, mainstream liberal candidate that doesn't particularly excite me. The prospect of not having Bush as President does excite me.

4. vwcruisn macrumors regular

Ditto... I would be voting for Nader as I usually do, but the stakes are just too high this time around, although I do live in California, and despite what the media has been saying about the possibility of this state going to Bush, I think its safe to say he doesnt't have a chance here.

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I turn 18 in October so I get to vote for the first time, my vote will most likely got to Kerry, he was not my first choice for a nominee for President. Bush's actions for people my age are frightening. He is going to leave my generation will the bill for the deficit, I doubt I am ever going to see a social security check at the rate the country is going. His No Child Left Behind has to be the worst named program ever, my school is lucky to have high scores, but other districts in my area are facing financial penalties for problems they don't have money to fix.
    I am going to keep a keen eye on the election, this is going to be a very interesting contest.

6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Obviously things like the war and his gaurd service are up in the air but I have a few questions for you. How do you defend the following acts by Bush and his administration?

Turning a record budget surplus into a record deficit?
    Using a non-partisan (i.e. tax payer supported) trip to Nascar as a fundraiser opportunity?
    Calling the NEA, a teachers union, terrorists?
    Telling people that they are unpatriotic and supporting terroism merely for criticizing the President?

7. Steradian macrumors 6502

Eh, I know this Q wasn't for me but I am bored..

1. Not all of the deficit is his fault, do remember that we were in a tech slump before he did a single thing in office. If thier is anything to yell at him about it is white collar job growth, which thier has really been none of.

2. Nascar is a sport, Perhaps he thought that by attending a game he could encourage people to come and pay more attention to the underrated sport. It obviously made headline and generated some media attention if you heard about it.

3. It was Rod Paige that said that, not Bush, however being a part of his administration I understand you blaming him. What he said was unjust and wrong, I truely hope that Education and putting americans back in to jobs will be Bush's focus if he is somehow elected back into office.

Understand that truely dislike Bush, and understand exactly where you are coming from. I like Nader more than Bush, but he is even too liberal for me, which is very hard I meaning I am from San Jose!

Me hopes Kerry gets to be pres. Time will tell

8. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

One thing that really bothers me is that Nader went out and told people that there was no difference between republican's and democrats, and that people actually believed him. So what do you guys think of that comment? The other thing I sort of feel that I agree with people who support Nader, that the two party system is not good, but Nader running again is just going to make a repeat. I think we need to reform our election system in our country. I said that after the last election, I said we would have a repeat of the last one and it looks like we will. Until now the two party system has somewhat worked, but I think times have changed. What do you guys think? -n

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You wouldn't believe how many times I've read this comment, not just at this forum, but at others. Nader's turning the last election for Bush has really thrown a scare into people. That said....

Nader actually has a point there. What he's referring to is that, Democrat or Republican, they're all "bought" by various special interests. Used to be, big companies and rich people gave to the GOP, and labor unions and little people gave to the Dems. Now, big corporations give almost equally to both sides, because they're hedging their bets. Whoever gets into the White House, they want that guy beholden to them.

That's why Kerry wasn't my first choice...he's part of the same old game...but I'll vote for him in November because he's a damn sight better than Bush. What I really want to see in the White House is a true progressive, like Nader or Kucinich. Someone whose principles aren't dictated by Wall Street.

But realistically, this country isn't ready for that. Reagan did such a good job of making the "L" word sound dirty that, a quarter of a century later, most of the Dems are still afraid to move out from the center of the road, for fear of losing the voters.

10. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't you mean if he steel's another election? Anyway, I'm only not going to be harder on you because you said you hope Kerry win's. Kerry is not my ideal pres. but I don't know enough about him, and there were others I had liked more.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm an independent voter of over 25 years who will vote for Kerry, without question, no matter what the RNC attack dogs throw at him. Bush is the least capable person to occupy the White House during my lifetime.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

NASCAR is one of the largest sports in the nation. 2nd only to NFL IIRC.

If Bush were doing a sport a favor he'd be attending a hockey game, since hockey gets beat in the TV ratings by bowling.

As it was, he was letting the sport do him a favor.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Warm it up? It ought to be a trillion degrees by now.

See, the problem is that when you respond to an attack, you want to go after the people who did it to you.

14. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Or he could have NOT done those ridiculous tax cuts in the first place that mostly benefited the rich and saved the money incase something did happen (like 9/11). Also alot of our military spending is involved in Iraq, and while I am in favor of Saddam being gone and all, there is still no evidence of WMD OR ties to AlQaeda. Not saying he had to raise taxes, or create new ones, just not slash the income and then spend it.

15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I heard about the specific fund raising activities he participated in during his trip to NASCAR. I have no problem with him going to the event to raise awareness, but when he is campaigning he is supposed to be using his campaign fund to pay for the trip, not my tax dollars.

16. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Voting for BUSH...

I am sure Kerry would do a fine job but when seats come open on the Supreme Court we need a Republican in the White House so we can get some conservatives on the bench.

Just being honest...

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Appreciate the honesty, but how many of the Supremes were appointed by Republican Presidents already? Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas, Kennedy, O'Connor, Souter, Stevens make seven out of nine. Only Stevens and Souter could be called anything other than a conservative. Maybe it is time for a little balance of opportunity.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

just a guess, but are you hoping roe v. wade is overturned?

19. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Gotta vote for Bush. If I don't, he might not get any votes here in Illinois. I wouldn't want him to leave office feeling bad about that.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well I voted for George last time sorry everyone, this time it will be anyone who opposes him. Where is Bin Laden after 3 years? lets see Wmds and they didnt have any, lets see no drugs from Canada but we will charge you a lot more for American ones, Here's another the Patriot act where we will remove more of your Freedoms in the guise of national security, hows this the Mexican boarder? we will keep doing nothing, or maybe this one MBTE fuel additive? we will look the other way and let everyone keep using it and pretend it doesnt hurt anyone, or maybe we will give tax breaks to those millionaires who need there money so bad,or we will send you over to Iraq to risk your life and then we will cut your pay, or Halibuton or the Deficit and his wild spending and the list goes on and on and on. I will be a switcher and vote Kerry.

21. Opteron macrumors 6502

*Hangs head in Shame*