at what point did you stop figihting with your family?

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Feb 25, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

2. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    when i moved out of the house, now we get along just great.

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

same here.

We don't see each other as often (maybe 1 time every week), i think that is the key (and my mom didn't/doesn't have to bother about me cleaning up my room anymore ;) )

EDIT: PS: indifference, are u running for the thread starter champions?

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Still am, at age 38. Actually, we probably fight more than when I was living with them. When I was a kid, I didn't complain about anything. Now I point out when I think my parents are doing something wrong.

5. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

hey well, no I am not running the thread thing. Also, to the person that is 38, thank you for saying that. I am 26 and if I talk to them we still fight., Why do you fight at 38?

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I haven't fought with MY parents in ages, but I do get into tiffs with my 8 yr. old daughter (she's as stubborn as me), but they always end with hugs.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

8. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Not even a disagreement?

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

nothing i would ever call a "fight"... calm level headed and logical discussion usually clears most problems up...

10. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

dude I am from DC too. what is your definition of a "fight". I am one of the people that will never go back.

11. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Really? You never walked away angry? Feeling unresolved or pushed over?

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Rarely speak to my father since my parents divorced and he cut the relationship.

Can't say that I've ever really fought with my mother although like any normal adults, we have our own views on certain issues that we respect. We regularly spend weekends together, going out to restaurants/bars, shopping and chilling out. Last year, I went on two great holidays with my pals and one fabulous trip to San Francisco with my mum. She's one of my (and my sister's) best friends.

13. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I've never fought with my family either. We get along great, and we always have. I've never walked away angry or feeling unresolved. We've always solved problems with calm discussions were everyone gives logical input. I'm amazed that more people don't get along with their family.

I think my brother and I get along with our family is because we have always been honest with them about everything. When I was 16 I wasn't lying to my parents about drinking, or where I've been like most kids do.

14. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Never got into a fight and stormed away to your room?

calm level head logical discussion :confused: strange child :p

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

we've always talked things out, sometimes in a more animated fashion than other times, but nothing i would call a fight.

a fight to me is when you yell and scream and say things you dont mean and dont talk to each other for a week. never anything like that.

sorry if thats so odd, i figured we were well adjusted :p

16. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

How did i know that 'indifference' started this thread when I saw it on the front page.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

Fighting can take several forms. You can have arguments and disagreements that are calm, cool, and collected, and still be considered "fights." Who says you need to yell or throw punches to get in a fight.

I don't argue very often with my family, but it still happens from time to time. Of course, we're all several hours (either by car or plane) from each other, so that could play a part in it.

In the end, if you never argue (fight) then you probably don't really care about each other, in my opinion. You need to be able to voice your opinion, even if it doesn't agree with theirs. If you think you can't, or choose not to, then you either don't feel secure enough in the relationship or you simply don't care.

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    when i realized it was a waste of time fighting

19. VincentVega macrumors regular

I think it was when I went away to university. I'd never left home before, so I was fairly homesick in the beginning During holidays and vacations, I'd come home and suddenly appreciate just how good it was back with my folks. I also got to see my youngest brother go through the "angst-ridden-teenager" phase, which wasn't particularly great.

Since then, I've developed an aversion to conflict and arguing with people. I don't really have the stomach for it any more. Life's too short to be stressed all the time and I feel better for it.

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I used to get into arguments with my parents when I was a teenager, and those were mostly the products of external stresses combining with ridiculously petty catalysts. The rest were a result of me being an arrogant teenager, as most are.

In my 20's, for the most part I was living thousands of miles away and only saw my parents a few times a year. We got along great, although there were a few arguments when money was involved.

Now that I am in my 30's and have fairly recently moved back to the area my parents live (they are an hour away) and they are growing older (late 60's), with all their kids long moved out, there is tension from time-to-time.

Mostly it now derives from their desire to be more of a part of their adult children's lives. I was always thought of as the "genius" of the family (horrible situation to have foisted on you), and there are complaints of my choices and life not living up to my potential, or of not taking enough time out to visit them. Pretty small-time stuff.

My relationship with my siblings has always been harmonious btw. We are all fairly spread apart (at least 5 years between), so we have never been super close, but we are definitely family.

21. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

ah it had nothing to do with me being "indifference" but i was just wanting to know about others, what and if they do.

22. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Ah but I knew it was you who had started it from the moment I saw it - I sense a pattern to your posts and threads.

23. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Since I've been on my own at the age of 16 when my parents divorced, I don't talk to my dad. We talked about 6-7 times then that was it he chose his new family (step mom and 4 kids).
    As far as my mom we only talk because of my gram (her mom). Again she has a family that she chose as well and my step dad will not let me over "his" house.
    The fights stopped when I moved in with my gram for two years. She is more like a mom to me and an uncle that is like a dad. Both put it this way, do they pay your bills, feed you, listen when you need to be heard? That was easy to answer. The fights were always over why are they treating me like an outsider since I was an only child and spent most time with the grandparents?
    The time came when I said--they made that choice not me, a weight was lifted off my shoulders and I go about my life with the people that are and have been there (for each other).
    Now at 33 I may not like what I hear, but everyone has a diff. view so I go about things in a diff. way. The psychology classes at school also helped me to understand (well try to) why are they like that! :rolleyes:

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

same here, although i will be moving back temporairily, i hope things go well with that