ATA 100/133 Raid card help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rocky1138, Feb 9, 2004.

1. rocky1138 macrumors newbie

I have a G4 Dual 450 OS 10.2 & got an IDE 160GB for Christmas, only to find out that the G4 doesn't support drives this big. I want to get the max space & know that I have to get an ATA controller card, though since I think that I might need more space sometime in the future (I do lots of Video) I figured that I should probably get a Raid card.

My brother is using a Highpoint card in his PC right now, ( http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/r100.htm ), & since it's only around $50 I was thinking of picking it up. Only this card & most that I look at don't say that they support mac.

I'd like something that works, but not something thats gonna put me down $200. Any recomendations on what I should buy?

thanks

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have an UltraATA card from SIIG. They offer both standard and RAID controllers for Macintosh. Sonnet also offers an UltraATA/100/133 card.

3. rocky1138 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks,

when I look at SIIG's online store, they have their "USB2.0 + 1394 + UltraATA 100 RAID" PCI card for $20 cheaper than their "Ultra ATA 100 Raid" card. Would there be any reason not to get the "USB..." card?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I can't think of any reason not to get a combination card. Having extra USB ports is a good thing, most definitely. The fact that the ports are also USB 2.0 ports is better.

One thing that's mentioned a lot in SIIG's instructions: you have to re-format the drive through the card. You'll most likely do this anyway, due to the space issue, but I thought I'd remind you.