Ata/100

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Fredman Jr., Feb 2, 2002.

1. Fredman Jr. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I decided not to buy the 1ghz dual g4 and instead hold out for a G5. Anyways now I'm going to have to make a little upgrade. I need a bigger hard drive and OS X. I have a G4 350mhz right now. I am looking at the ATA/100 7200 rpm drive on www.microwarehouse.ca

http://www.microwarehouse.ca/product.asp?sku=DR14317

Will the ATA/100 work with the G4?

Thanks,
    Ian

2. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

DON'T GET ANYTHING FROM MICRO WARE HOUSE!!! THEY SCREWED ME OVER WITH MY IMAC

details coming

3. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

MICROWAREHOUSE

first, i waited to get my imac till 10.1 came out because pre-10.1 suck horribly. so i told them specifically that i wanted the computer only if i could get 10.1 INSTALLED. they told me that was the case and i ordered it (500mhz,cd-rw by the way in august). when i got it ( it was on time by the way but that my have little or nothing to do with microwarehouse) i had ordered an epson with a full rebate to mail in but i got an HP with no mail-in availible. i specifically ordered from them because they were the only place that had a free printer that wasn't a crappy LEXMARK. i called in and sent the hp back, them telling my it would take, i think, less than a week to get the epson once they recieved the hp. also, guess what os was installed? 10.0.4!! bastards(getting mad as i type)!!!! so i called and had them send me the upgrade to the os version that they had already promised me would be installed. they sent an upgrade from OS 10.0.1 TO OS 10.0.4!!!!! ANOTHER call fiwed the problem-a week after getting the computer. so another week later, with no printer in my house and my school teaching mother getting mad, i thought that it had taken them quite long enough to send a damn printer. i called ( for the 20,000th time) and here's what they told me: the epson 777i was discontinued. the only printer available was.... THE CRAPPY LEXMARK!!! SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! so i ordered the ****ing thing mad as i have ever been at any company. when i got it, guess what? unlike the epson which came with black and color ink cartridges, it only had color! HAPPY!!!!!!!

so anyway, PLEASE join me in boycotting them!!!!!

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I avoid micro/macwarehouse mostly because they are overpriced. Along with the fact that I have enough retail stores close enough to fill pretty much all of my needs. I even have one place that can order just about anything I want, even if no other store can.

5. Fredman Jr. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok but....

will an ata/100 work in my computer? :)

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You have two options... connect the ATA100 hard drive directly to your motherboard where your current ATA drive is. OR, you can get an ATA100, or ATA133 controller card (PCI) and then attach up to 4 drives to it. I know Sonnett makes cards to do this (www.sonnettech.com). They also have RAID cards for not a lot of money that will allow you to either strip (RAID 0) or mirror (RAID 1) multiple drives. I prefer to stripe the drives, since that compounds the spec's of the drives (makes them faster, as well as adding up all the space). The cards can be found at http://www.sonnettech.com/product/pci_adptrs.html.

I think you would be better suited to get an ATA100, or ATA133 drive from a local store then from Microwarehouse. I have had excellent results with Maxtor drives, but you could also get either Seagate (very nice drives) or IBM.

You won't really see the speed benefit of either the ATA100 or 133 drive, until you get a controller that can handle it.

7. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

any ata hard drive should work. if it doesn't, then i am surprised. But cant you hook up 2 ata hardrives directly to the G4 motherboard?
    Because the dual 1ghz has 2 hard drives, but it doesn't say that it has an extra card. Anyway, just get a harddrive at a store like CompUsa. But check prices first. MacConnection is where i get all my junk. It's cheaper, they don't mess up, and they are fast. By the way, my name is Ian too.:D

8. eXistenZ_ng macrumors newbie

I use an ATA 133 in my ATA 66 g4, works great

9. GigaWire macrumors 6502

ata 133 drives will work with any ATA type controller. Will you get the full 133 transfer speed, No. It will work at the speed the controller tops out at ATA 66, 33, 100,133.

10. Fredman Jr. thread starter macrumors newbie

11. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

still...

don't buy from macwarehouse (also microwarehouse)

12. tadpole macrumors member

harddrive retails

hey fellas, the best drive deal is this place called www.newegg.com

they have some of the best HD prices around beating even the next best guy www.megahaus.com

I would definitely go with a seagate, the new ATA IV series has fluid dynamic bearings, which is to say they are silent runners. there isn't a huge performance difference between ATA66 or ATA 133, these numbers only mean burst speeds, the drives usually churn out data at a quarter to a third of these rates. If you have a raid array, you get considerably better I/O performance. Your absolute best bet, however, is a lot ram, this cuts down on HD access and makes everything buttery smooth.

peace out,
    tad