ATA/33 vs. ATA/133 vs. Serial ATA

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by blue&whiteman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

about the last thing left on my mac that can be upgraded is my ata 33 bus. what do all of you think would be the way to go? if I went with an ata 133 card I already have an ata 100 drive to connect to it. if I went with serial ata I would also have to buy a serial ata hd. thoughts?

2. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

the ATA/133 card with the ATA/100 hard drive. SATA isnt worth putting into your B&W G4 because it wont give you any more performance than an ATA/100 hard drive with an ATA/133 card.

3. blue&whiteman thread starter macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

thanks a lot for the advice. any other advice from the other members would be appreciated. :)

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

G5orbust pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Lethal

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: any other advice from the other members would be appreciated. :)

If you decide to follow people's advice and buy a "hot stock" -- exit relatively quick with a reasonable profit.

Because you haven't made ANY money until the stock is sold.

The only reason I say sell quick is: today's "hot stock" is tomorrow's "smoking turd."

---

As far as the drives go -- buy the least expensive drives now (ATA), and wait until the SATA drives get faster and less expensive.

That, and they still really haven't made FW400/800 SATA drive enclosures as plentiful as the ATA drive boxes yet.