ATA 66 HDD's

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iGary, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Guest

iGary

I'm setting up a RAID in my G4 MDD and looked on OWC last night for ATA/66 drives and could not find any - is there reverse compatablility with ATA/100?

If not where should I look for an ATA/66 drive (two, that is)?

Thanks. :D

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I believe that an ATA-100 drive will work in compatability mode on an ATA-66 controller, but you might want to check (especially max size that your controller supports).

3. macrumors G3

An ATA-66 and even an ATA-133 drive will work on an ATA-66 controller. The issue is what size drive? Some ATA-66 controllers are limited to the 120GB drives while otehrs use 48bit addressing and can handle any capacity drive currently made (with room for plenty of growth).

I know the MDD FW800 model has 48bit addressing on both ATA contollers (It shipped with 180GB drives as one of the options.) I think the original MDD can also handle the larger drives on both controllers. Both MDD models have an ATA-66 as well as an ATA-100 controller for hard disks.

If your ATA-66 controller turns out not to support the larger drives, you can move you two current internal drives to the ATA-66 ccontroller and use the ATA-100 controller for the larger drive.

4. thread starter Guest

iGary

Cool - thanks folks. OWC had some info on it, and I Googled the net, but the info was very sketchy...Thanks again.

5. macrumors G3

Welcome.

I think searching the forums here might have revealed the same information. I know I've seen this question elsewhere but I don't remember where.