Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Boy Genius Report posts an internal AT&T email to employees limiting vacation requests during the June 15-July 15th timeframe, citing the likely "biggest selling period we have seen in a few years."
To ensure proper staffing during the product launch period, Sales personnel planning to take approved time off are encouraged to schedule their vacations before June 15 or after July 15 to participate in the iPhone launch.

Previously approved vacation will be allowed where voluntary rescheduling is not feasible

No additional vacation requests will be approved during the launch period (6/15 – 7/15).

An earlier report from the same site indicated that AT&T was also planning large iPhone displays for the launch:
Apple iPhone displays will soon be hitting AT&T stores across the country and yes, we got some details! First off, it was relayed to us that many stores will actually have to be rewired because the display demands its own power supply, and even requires a network cable. As far as the size of the iPhone display itself, get this — 7 ft tall, and 3 ft wide! Many stores have already started installing the necessary power systems which means that working displays should be here within the next few weeks.
Apple has stated that the iPhone is on track for a "late June" release.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
They do seem to making a huge deal about it. Do they think it will sell so well? I love just as much as the next person, but 500-600 is a lot of money, especially in todays society. I guess we will just have to see what happens.

05elstonc

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2006
Miami
Wow. Things are getting exciting. This is the first major Apple product where Apple does not have full control over the flow of information which is great for us, since we will get leaked memos like these from AT&T picking up over the next 2 months.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
This makes me like Cingular/ATT (pick one already) a little less. They should cut fat off the executives' salaries and HIRE some new employees instead of torturing the ones they have now AND their families--summer should be about spending time with family on holiday, not working nonstop.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
As part of the group looking forward to the launch, I feel guilty for causing those poor employees to have to delay their summer vacations. :(

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
oh brother!!!

Every advertising guy and gal out there knows that getting rid of the name CINGULAR is the stupidest thing that AT&T could do.

Every teen in the USA knows Cingular, raising the bar. AT&T was for like us 80s kids.

And I dumped Cingular because I could never get reception. Fewest dropped calls my arse. Of course you have the fewest dropped calls if you can't get get calls.

Why Apple insisted on only working with one company, I understand, but hate them for. This will for sure limit my purchase of one uuurrrrggghhhh...:mad:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
This makes me like Cingular/ATT (pick one already) a little less. They should cut fat off the executives' salaries and HIRE some new employees instead of torturing the ones they have now AND their families--summer should be about spending time with family on holiday, not working nonstop.

its AT&T, they're in the middle of a name change. and well no, these people signed up for the job. and its not torture at all. people have to work during the summer too. for some people its the heavy work season too. get over it. if they're that distressed about this they can leave their jobs and find a different one. but its a business, and its supposed to make money.

tribulation

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
jackson hole, wy
This makes me like Cingular/ATT (pick one already) a little less.

So I am not the only one that doesn't know their name? Unless their plan was to confuse everyone, I have no idea who approved the horrible new slogan "Cingular is the new AT&T". What the $#$$ does that mean?

Seriously. Does that mean AT&T is now called Cingular [it's the NEW AT&T's name]. Or does it mean that Cingular is now called AT&T [Cingular is now part of the new AT&T]?
A great conundrum slogan. But I doubt that's what they were going for?

Jarcrew

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Cardiff, Wales
This will for sure limit my purchase of one uuurrrrggghhhh...:mad:
To be honest, if I lived Stateside I wouldn't buy an iPhone during this period out of general principle. It's disgusting to block out an entire month in the middle of summer, especially - and I'm guessing here - as a lot of their employees are probably college kids and stuff.

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2007
I am intensely curious. How many people will be lined up to pay $500 or $600 for a cell phone? This is Apple's big gamble. They have a tremendous amount of hubris about this product, let's see if it lives up to their expectations of grandeur.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I am intensely curious. How many people will be lined up to pay $500 or $600 for a cell phone? This is Apple's big gamble. They have a tremendous amount of hubris about this product, let's see if it lives up to their expectations of grandeur.

the media has built this product up 10x more than Apple have, mind you.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
I'm looking to get a new iPhone sometime this yr to replace my old Nokia.

My bill from Cingular still says Cingular the new AT&T.

But my BellSouth bill is now completely AT&T.

My cell phone sims card got updated about 2 weeks ago to an AT&T logo. No more Cingular logo.

Cingular is pretty good here.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
As part of the group looking forward to the launch, I feel guilty for causing those poor employees to have to delay their summer vacations. :(

It'll be cheaer to holiday outside of this period. I had to work 3 summers for 10 weeks straight, 12 hour shifts in a factory everyday. That's life. Gave me good money too! They'll get over it. They can always get a different job.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

I don't... one month is not that much. There's a ton of time before and after this period for summer vacations. Nobody's going on 2 month long vacations anyway.

macphin

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
Oh boy, every new story about iphone getting me more exciting and more curious about how will I get this damn phone in my country where we don't have cingular or even vodafone...

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
So I am not the only one that doesn't know their name? Unless their plan was to confuse everyone, I have no idea who approved the horrible new slogan "Cingular is the new AT&T". What the $#$$ does that mean?

Seriously. Does that mean AT&T is now called Cingular [it's the NEW AT&T's name]. Or does it mean that Cingular is now called AT&T [Cingular is now part of the new AT&T]?
A great conundrum slogan. But I doubt that's what they were going for?

"cingular is the new at&t" = cingular is becoming at&t. pretty soon, they drop cingular from the name and all branding will be labeled at&t.

i don't think i'll be lined up to buy one; i'll just order one online from the apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.