Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

To help clarify any confusion about the upgrade process, AT&T has posted a number of walkthrough videos giving more information about the upgrade process for customers. AT&T announced that the iPhone 3G will be on sale starting at 8 a.m. local time at their AT&T stores.

Existing AT&T Customer Video
This covers the different scenarios if you are an existing AT&T customers. AT&T recommends you back up your iPhone with iTunes prior to buying the iPhone 3G. Additionally, voicemail will be deleted when you upgrade, so you should be sure to catch up on your voicemail prior to upgrading. Once you upgrade to the iPhone 3G, you can give your original iPhone to someone else who can activate it through iTunes and sign up for new service.

New AT&T Customer Video
This video is for customers activating new service at AT&T. These individuals can visit AT&T stores prior to July 11th to undergo a credit check to save time on the actual launch day. AT&T recommends you back up your phone data prior to July 11th. You will need a photo ID and social security number to start new service. If you are interested in porting your phone number from your existing carrier, you will need: your account number, account holder name, billing address, social security number and PIN or password. Most of this information is on your bill from your current carrier.

Apple has not yet announced what time their retail stores will open on July 11th.

Article Link

Algalli

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2007
IPhone SS #

It is illegal for a company to require a social security number unless they have to report financial info to the IRS and the person does not have a tax ID. I never give out my SS#. THe first time I was with AT&T 5 or 6 years ago I got them to change their policy and got service without giving out my SS#. DO NO DO IT. Just tell them no. You can get info at the Social Security web site. They say it is OK for a company to ask for info but it is not OK to require the info. Credit checks can be done without SS#.

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Picture1-1.png

Okay is it me or is this phone unlocked? I was watching the video and thought that was kinda funny. It's the video talking about current iPhone customers.

sweetswirlingon

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
we were'nt iready...

We weren't iReady, so we threw together this poorly shot, poorly lit, video and stuck some dummy in a red shirt 'cause we know nothing about video... and 'cause we hired a high-schooler who couldn't afford a tripod and probably is trying to squeak by with a D- in a video editing class. Looks like this was shot and edited in under an hour... Great job AT&T... you guys are really portraying the quality I'm sure Apple would approve of....

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
in similar news, Rogers posted a walk-through for the Canadian customers.

I don't have a link to the video, but it essentially shows a customer walking into a Rogers store, getting kicked in the balls, and then getting booted out the back door.

google it

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
We weren't iReady, so we threw together this poorly shot, poorly lit, video and stuck some dummy in a red shirt 'cause we know nothing about video... and 'cause we hired a high-schooler who couldn't afford a tripod and probably is trying to squeak by with a D- in a video editing class. Looks like this was shot and edited in under an hour... Great job AT&T... you guys are really portraying the quality I'm sure Apple would approve of....

Who cares? Did you get the info you needed for the process? I did.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
It is illegal for a company to require a social security number unless they have to report financial info to the IRS and the person does not have a tax ID. I never give out my SS#. THe first time I was with AT&T 5 or 6 years ago I got them to change their policy and got service without giving out my SS#. DO NO DO IT. Just tell them no. You can get info at the Social Security web site. They say it is OK for a company to ask for info but it is not OK to require the info. Credit checks can be done without SS#.

Many credit checks can not be done without a valid SSN. If you are going to do this, please don't do it on launch day. They only thing you are going to do is piss off a lot of people standing in line while you argue this.

I have no problems with someone trying to do this, but don't expect it to work. I have a friend of mine who enjoys embarrassing me in stores by pulling this BS. The same friend who also complains about being short changed $0.03 and thinks that he can buy a car with pennies.

Although it might be illegal, it has been happening for a long time and nothing you can do will change that.

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006

Having worked for the company, I can say with 100% certainty that AT&T did not hire a high-schooler. They spent hundred of thousands of dollars to make it look trendy (shaky camera and all) and failing miserably at it.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Okay is it me or is this phone unlocked? I was watching the video and thought that was kinda funny. It's the video talking about current iPhone customers.
IT must be a development phone, it has no App Store icon on it, but it does have AT&T's upcoming phone directory app, and one other icon I can't identify...

mMj

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
New Hand me down

What if a customer is eligible for an upgrade but then gives the NEW iphone to someone? Will this lucky person be able to activate it?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Those icons you see in the video are nothing more than existing web apps. Google Reader is one of them.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
so 8 am huh?

and i can give my current iphone to my girlfriend?

Yes, AT&T says on their website that you can give your current phone to a friend or family member.

It might be helpful to review AT&T's site. :rolleyes:

Hopefully this video helps those out who can't seem understand the basic directions.

mikeytrend

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
most malls open at like 7 and most stores open at 10, so I'm thinking they'll go on sale in apple retail stores at 10.

maybe that's apple's way to get more people into a store that can actually handle the activation process in store.
:/

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The only questions I have are:

1. Will existing AT&T/iPhone customers be able to purchase an iPhone 3G as an upgrade from the AT&T website (through our account page) to avoid lines and hassle in the store? and...

2. Are the accessories that work with the current iPhone (namely the dock... and the dock with the Apple Bluetooth Headset) work with the iPhone 3G? I'm still contemplating Craigslisting my current iPhone (not sure, though... might hold onto it as a spare), but I don't want to include the docks if they're going to work with the new iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.