Atari files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by maflynn, Jan 21, 2013.

1. maflynn, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't see this coming - sad to see such a pioneering company fall by the wayside.

Endgadget

I remember getting an Atari 2600 as a kid and playing hours upon hours of space invaders
    2600box.gif

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's too bad. I hate to see such long time, well established and good companies go down like this.

3. macrumors 65816

decafjava

Ditto, same system and same game. :( Wow.

4. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Holy Crap!!

I didn't know they were doing that bad!

5. macrumors newbie

Atari has not been around for a long, long time. This is a French company originally known as Infograms who bought the Atari name. The real Atari was shut down and dismantled in the 90s.

6. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

I had the Atari 2600, 5200, and a 7800 in my youth. Also, my first computer was an Atari 800 with an external floppy drive. Sad to see them go :(

7. macrumors 6502a

I was never lucky enough to get an Atari. for Christmas that year, we got a video game that could only play pong. Of course since it was a off brand, it wasn't called pong.

8. Guest

Ditto here; spent many wonderfully fun hours playing those games with cousins (the richer cousin had an original 2600, I had a clone called Dactari) and friends during my childhood in Brazil...hopefully the software division will be kept afloat somehow.

9. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

This is just chapter 11, they aren't gone yet. Companies can and do survive chapter 11 bankruptcies which is just a court protected restructuration while the company gets into a profitable mode again (usually by getting rid of toxic assets or concentrating on profitable sectors it operates in while leaning out the rest of the operation).

In this case, it sounds like Atari's parent company is to blame, so they probably filed chapter 11 in hopes that some other investors buys the actual Atari side of the business and runs it sucessfully rather than staying dependant on a failing parent.

10. macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Atari were still going? Who knew! Next you'll tell me IBM and Sega are still around...

11. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Yeah, this really isn't the Atari of old as the Atari name/brand has been bought and sold numerous times over the years.

If stock price is any indication IBM is doing great though Sega never rebounded after the Dreamcast was EOL'ed.