Atari ST

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Feb 21, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Who had one? I bet most of the mac users had one in the mid 80's. And I'm sure most of them saw Macs as we see PCs today.

I was so upset when I had to buy a Mac because there was no more support for Atari computers any more.

I feel so proud and nostalgic when I think about my old Atari 520ST with 1MB of ram!

The best time in my life, I was the only kid in my class with the best games, 250 colors and audio at same time. The times when I was surprise when a game used 2 or more 800k disc of storage!

That was the computer that pushed me in to midi, Jean Michael Jarre (Captain Blood), Vangelis (Blade Runner) and stuff. The best years of my life :)

What about you?

2. mikulashek macrumors member

ah the st, I had several atari systems actually. I was a big fan of the gauntlets games on the st though.
    for some flashbacks check out these sites www.atari.st/ and www.atari.org

3. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    yep, my first computer was a mega st4... bought it to sequence music when my alesis mmt8 wore out. it was hotrodded up to 16 mghz...woohooo. and had a floppy but no hard drive. what a trip, but it did the job.

in 97 (?)when the mouse died it took me a week to find a replacement...the guy who had a replacement lived in this apartment with blacked-out windows and photo equipment everywhere. he reminded me of the guy in " silence of the lambs"...way too creepy.

i upgraded to a new g3 233 shortly thereafter.

:)

4. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

This was the best!!! Atari Falcon

16Mhz
    4MB of RAM!!!!
    16 bit audio Stereo.

I have a friend who has one of those with Cubase I think.

The only flashback I got is watching the Smurf, He-Man wasn't even out yet.

I wonder what Apple was doing at that time.

I remember I had a friend with a clasic and he could print very nice things at that time. I never got to print good graphics with the Atari and the printer was so nosy.

Does any body remembers Degas Elite? It was the photoshop of that time.

At list I had a very nice color monitor and Apple had gray scale one:D

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Still have mine -- original 1040ST running TOS 1.0

It still works great!

I have always been a fan of Atari's computers, and have quite a variety of 8-bit models also.

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

sorry...

I didn't get a first computer till 5 years ago...was a clone of the Mac 4400...

but...I did have an Atari 2600 game console! ;)

7. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

YES !! My very first paint package was Degas, then Degas Elite...ah, the memories...
    By the way, the author (Tom Hudson) is also the 'father' of 3DStudio Max, the famous 3D package on PC. Check out http://www.asterius.com/atari/index for a little history.

I had a 1040STf with two monitors (color and 'high rez' black n'white), and an external 20meg harddrive the size of a shoe box.

At the time, it was not about Apple/Microsoft, the battle was between Atari/Commodore and it was much more even. They were even based on the same proc, the ST running at 8mhz and the Amiga at 7.x mgz ! The good old days...:D

8. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have found this pic with a black background.

Attached Files:

9. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Why don't you go to www.emulation.net and download noSTalgia - the Atari ST emulator - for OSX?

It works very well - and since you previously owned an Atari, you shouldn't feel guilty about getting the TOS images from the net. As long as you purchased the ST, the Roms are legal ;).

My first dedicated music computer was an MSX - the Yamaha CX5M - complete with 2 MIDI ports, and a cartridge slot. The computer had a built-in synthesiser (just type in "CALL MUSIC") and came with a full-sized music keyboard. The synthesis was based on the Yamaha DX7 - in fact, the sounds were exactly the same. The sequencing software was excellent, also.

In the end, I sold it to buy a really nice sampler with a built-in 16 track sequencer (an Ensoniq EPS). It was then that the ST was amongst the cream of MIDI computers - but we all aspired to own a Mac Plus running Master Tracks Pro (wnat a program!).

Sorry, mymemory. It just brought back so many memories...

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have a 1040ST with 4MB installed and an outboard 75MB SCSI hard drive with monochrome monitor. It still works fine although it sometimes seems sluggish, especially with the Atari mouse. I keep trying to decide whether to dispose of it or not, but my museum wouldn't be quite complete without it. :D

I still have my Sony MSX machine and it was pretty much worthless new. :D The multiple Atari 8-bit machines serve a purpose. Where else can I find so many legendary games in one location?

Too many memories...I'm going to cry.

11. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

I used my Atari ST to play live with Master Track Pro and a Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

I remember well I had to make chunks of 2 continuos songs per floppy disc, the computer was so loaded! It never crashed on stage.

I had nostalgia a few months ago but I didn't like the results.

I really good game I like was Carrier Strike Command between other.

Attached Files:

12. sinclairZX81 macrumors member

I had an Amiga 500. I wanted a mac but they were way out of my league.

it wasn't my first computer though. I think you can guess what that was.