Athlon 64 due on Sep 22nd

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by adamfilip, Jul 7, 2003.

1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

So AMD is gonna beat apple...apple better ship 'em faster...i wonder whats holding the g5's up?

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i can think of 3 reasons the g5's are late.

1. they want panther on them when the ship

2. working on new keyboard and mice but i doubt it

3. they are just plain arent ready, which i would bet my money on.

im not to worried, with AMD's diminishing marketshare I think IBM has a better facility and crew for making processors.

iJon

4. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I agree with you that the G5s aren't ready, which can be a bad sign for things to come. Sitting on a processor for 3 months is a LONG time in the CPU manufacturing world.

I disagree with you in regards to AMD however. They currently have a 15-20% CPU marketshare, and completely specialize in CPU fabrication. AMD is a big boy, and I wouldn't underestimate them by a long shot.

5. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Last I checked the G5's were still shipping on or before september 2nd, which kinda beats the athlon64 to market by a couple of weeks. But that's on or before, whereas the athlon64 is sept 22nd solid.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yes i know this, but they only seem to be popular with the home building market. all dells, and most compaq and hp's use intel's. but i dont think amd or intel is apple's competition, they need to worry about microsoft. very few customers are concerned with speed.

iJon

7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Its kind of sad how much of a monopoly Intel has currently... one of my professors worked for Intel and he said it was a rule that they could never use the word "monopoly"... go figure :p

8. Das macrumors regular

Don't worry, I'm sure Longhorn will fix every bit of bad design on the Windows side...*cough*

Anyhoo I've liked AMD up until their number nonsense (e.g. 36000+XPx2/3). I still have a 2000 (or 2300 now, love overclocking them) in my system. They have a lot of catch up to do though in order to beat Intel. As for the G5, really, apples and oranges. No one buys an Apple for its incredible speed, they buy it for the software, style and OS. All I know is that if a company can make a heatsync the size of a toaster look cool, I'm going with them.

9. cuneglasus macrumors member

The 22nd is only the official release date.The chances you can bring home a system with one that day or even soon after are pretty slim.And it has been delayed a number of times.It was supposed to be out months ago.

10. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Even when Athlon releases their 64-bit, I doubt there'd be any 64-bit OSes (popular) or programs to take advatage of it. I think it has 32-bit compatibilty, but with their previous 64-bit you had to reboot to use either 32 or 64 bit. So eve if the Althon is 64-bit, most ppl will run XP on it (if the AMD is truely 32-bit compatible) and that won't take any advantages of the 64-bit.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

kind of like apple right, we have nothing. microsoft already has a 64bit xp, and they have had it for years.

iJon

12. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

i was on apples site last night, playing with the customizer for th G5 1.6ghz, and i noticed it says shipping in augest in the shipping date field.

-Neal

Attached Files:

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

No doubt about it:
    Apple will bring the first 64 bits consumer desktop computer. AMD will follow.
    Apple will also bring the first 64 bits consumer application "optimized for G5". Something like Final Cut Pro AND Express 64 bits. M$ will follow.

Apple has to be first. They usually are.

14. reflex macrumors 6502a

Linux is 64bit-ready, so when the 64bit Athlon comes out, there will be a 64bit operating system for it.

15. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

actually i think a few of HP's newest machines are using AMD cpu's in there.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02d/12454-64287-89301.html

Also the upcoming athlon64-based HP machine was leaked a while ago.

http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,82419,00.html
    (just one of the many news clips)

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yes i know a few compaqs and hp's use athlons and durons, but nearly compared to the computers that they use with intel processors.

iJon