Athlon X2 Declared "BEST CPU IN THE WORLD"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jiggie2g, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

2. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

3. minimax macrumors 6502

Tom's Hardware calls it "The King". Amazing benchmarks, same clockspeed as it's fastest massproduced single-core processor and LESS powerconsumption compared to more for the Pentium D.

'AMD's Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 Strikes Hard'

Let's hope the IBM G5 Dualcore will also deliver speeds up to 2.5 GHz upon introduction.

4. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Crap, I really wanted a new powermac, but for the price of a 4400+ X2, a new mobo, and some ram, I can get much better performance for almost 1/3 the cost =(

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Just wait til WWDC. I can feel it in my teeth...

It'll be sweet.

6. jiggie2g thread starter macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

I'm with you jadam, It's a much better value. AMD just can't be beat right now, they are teaching IBM and Intel how it's done. I will be getting a 4400+ myself as soon as they are avaliable(Oct-Nov '05). Can't wait to see the OC numbers on those. some of people are already hitting 3.0ghz on the new Venice and San Diego cores. Imagine dual 3.0ghz Athlon X2 :eek:

I just ordered a Venice core Athlon 64 3000+(expecting it today), to go with my DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D that has been sitting on my shelf for over a month. I will OC it up to 2.6-2.8ghz ...not bad for a $149 CPU :D .

Why do you people still insist Jobs is going to put out a DC PowerMac right after Apple just updated thier entire line(except ibook). If by some miracle Apple was going to put a Dual Dual PM G5 it would cost more then 90% of the people here can afford. atleast $3299...with a crappy Radeon 9650..lol

Update: Well seems someone actually did Overclock an X2 4800+ ...the crazy boys over at Amdzone hit 2.7ghz per core on stock Voltage, they said it was pretty easy to OC and that 3.0ghz seemed very possible :eek:

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?...s&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=124&page=4

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Hats off to you AMD you deserve it! An amazing Engineering feat - way to teach Intel and IBM a lesson. After all, competition makes everyone stronger. :cool:

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah, good job AMD! lets see what IBM has out there though (hopefully something good) but still doesnt run the worlds best OS ;)

9. brap macrumors 68000

Tom raves about 'em, doesn't he... and the numbers are mind-blowing.

Good job there's finally an nForce4-shaped package in the mail for me tomorrow :D

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, AMD may have the best CPU, but throw it in a Windows box and it loses some of its appeal if you ask me. ;) I'll take OS X any day.

For me, true performance is measured by the stability and user-friendliness of the OS, how fun the system is to use, the power of the applications (i.e. iLife), and how quickly, efficiently and effortlessly I can do my work. Some people can brag all they want about clock cycles, MHz, FSB speeds and all that, but to me, it isn't as relavant when talking about true performance. :cool:

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Sure, but if IBM/Apple had the fastest CPU I'm sure you'd be up for some bragging ;)

12. noel4r macrumors 6502a

I agree with you, but imagine how much faster OS X would run w/ one of these.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Now if only Apple would produce OSX Tiger for AMD chips. OR better yet, sell Macintoshes with AMD chips, instead of licensing OSX to PC manufacturers.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Actually I'm not a Mac Zealot, so I probably wouldn't brag too much, although I know many people on this Forum who would do exactly what you just said. ;) Also, personally, I'm not a power user, and don't need a system that powerful, so it isn't as big a deal to me as it might be to others...

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It would run faster, no question, but the amount of RAM in the machine would probably have a greater impact on the performance of the OS than the clock speed.

16. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

I think they should try to get AMD to produce a PPC variant. that way there's no complex migrations, and Apple could get some serious speed going.

17. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

I do lots of scientific computing, so speed matters a lot for me.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

With this news coming out, it's somewhat surprising that the next versions of the XBox, GameCube and the PS3 all are utilizing IBM chips. Wonder if they're going to drop IBM and try going with AMD instead... ;)

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just hope this puts some more pressure on Apple and IBM to get the dual core G5s out to market soon...

D

20. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

wow--sounds pretty sweet. if i ever get around to (saving the $ and) building a cheap pc, im definitely gonna get the cheapest one of those :eek: jadam did the guy in your 'tar live?!

21. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Yeah, it was an accident with a construction worker, I believe he survived after going to the hospital.

22. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    So wait... these aren't really shipping yet? It's just a paper launch then? Hmm.. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple updated the G5 again by November.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

3 GHz baby. It's about time. :cool:

24. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

"BEST CPU IN THE WORLD".

Shhhhh. IBM is taking a nap.

25. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Mmmm, Athlon64 PowerMac

I'd be totally stoked to see an Apple Mac based around an Athlon 64 X2. Would make for quite a nice replacement for my dual G4. It's true that MacOSX running on x86/AMD64 hardware doesn't have to mean licensing the OS out to PC makers (though I don't think that would actually be a bad thing either) -- Apple can make their own x86-based systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.