ATI’S RADEON™ 9800 PRO Mac Special Edition

Discussion in 'Games' started by 7on, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Unfortunately it'll only be for the G5's but at least the gap between Mac and PC video cards narrows a hair.

2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I just want ATI to sell me an card with ADC on it that will work in my G4 (Dual 1GHz MDD). Please......

3. job macrumors 68040

job

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I certainly hope Apple offers this as an option on the new G5s when they come out. It would be a mistake not to.

I'll be very curious to see how much more it costs, though, through Apple.

D

5. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I remember reading somewhere that the power supply to the agp slot on a G4 powermac can't handle the newer high power ati cards and an adc connection. That's why the old 9800 didn't have adc on the retail version and this new one is only for the G5, so I doubt you'll have much luck sorry.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Closest you can get is to try to find an OEM 9700.... pretty difficult though.

Or Dr.Bott's DVI to ADC adaptor... on the Retail 9800 (making it really expensive).

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What about the retail Radeon 9000? That has ADC.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

BTW... any idea why the G5 OEM Radeon 9800 is "clocked down"?

Taken from BareFeats

Attached Files:

• 9800.jpg
      9800.jpg
      File size:
      21 KB
      Views:
  9. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I don't know why, but I do know it is deliberate! Probably to boost retail sales at a .guess

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Wasn't the MDD Dual 1 GHz equipped with the 9000?
    I think the QS Dual 1 GHz had a GeForce 4 MX....

Either way, if you want a great grfx card for in a Dual 1 GHz G4, I can understand that anything less than a GeForce 4 Ti or Radeon 9700 wouldn't please you.

I understand his problem... :(

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

But the retail product is aimed for the G4 market, and the OEM is G5 only.
    :confused:
    I don't see why one card's sales would interfere with the other.

Unless you mean the retail "G5 special edition, 256 MB version".
    Make this card "extra better"... not only double the VRAM, but also a 30 MHz clock speed increase.

12. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I was thinking ATi would make more from retail ones than OEM ones but really just speculation. Hence some people may buy a G5 and the graphics card separately so they could have the best. Maybe they probably knew the pro model was coming, so they could sucker a few more people in with a boost in clock speed as the general concencous seems to be no one cares about the extra memory from 128 to 256.

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yeah, possibly.
    When I bougt my Dual 1.8 GHz G5, I immedately put the OEM 9800 in, not knowing its clock frequency was 30 MHz lower than the retail version.
    I did know the extra features (FSAA, AF, VSync -override settings) which are 9800 retail Mac only, wouldn't be there on the OEM one, which do I find disappointing. But that they also clocked this card down, making it a very, very expensive BTO option.

I paid $420 (incl. VAT) for this BTO card, thus an "extra" price. And paid $380 (incl. VAT) for the Retail one (for in my Dual G4), which not an "extra" price.
    So, $40 gives me an ADC port (which I don't use, but is very important to many), but no ATi options, and clocked down... :confused:

14. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Very good point about the lack of information, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe this way allows them to sell the less able chips from a batch (sounds like baking cookies :rolleyes: ) for a higher price as consumers simply dont know theres a difference.

I don't know when the retail 9800 came out? Perhaps it wasnt quite ready for the G5s release (specifically the drivers), in which case might it be the possible that a driver update could clock the OEM chips up?

Damn you with your dual G5 :p

15. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

The Retail (AGP 2x, 4x) 9800 Pro was available in mid-July. so very shortly after the introduction of the G5.
    I understand that the Retail card is just a Mac-ready version of the "normal" PC-version of the Radeon 9800 Pro. Seemingly only a ROM-update (flash) to make it Mac ready.
    This is to cut costs (and prices), and make it available rather quickly. So no ADC (is quite logical).
    This specific card is not AGP 8x compatible. We all know that even a AGP 4x bus wil not be stretched with today's games and CPUs, but numbers do sell....
    Meaning; If you buy a G5 (with AGP 8x bus), but install a Retail 9800 card, the bus will be AGP 4x only: Bad marketing.

Somehow the OEM card is very different form the Retail one.

Retail:
    AGP 2x, 4x
    VGA + DVI
    Supports ATi 3D override settings
    Core Clock 380 MHz

OEM (G5);
    AGP 8x
    DVI + ADC
    No support for override sttings
    Core Clock 350 MHz

In the system profiler both are stated as "ATY R350, with 128 MB VRAM"

I still don't understand why....

I don't expect a firmware update or so to "up" the clock frequency. And the software used for the cards are identical, unless the 3D override settings are used.

But, I don't mind....

I love the G5 :)

Get one, Sabbath!

16. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Not a very impressive update. Where are the Radeon 9800 XT and FireGL X2 256t? Both of these cards use chipsets very similar to the 9800 Pro so developing Mac versions of them can't be that difficult.

17. job macrumors 68040

job

What's the clock speed of the 9800XT?

Honestly, with the release of this 'Special Edition' I think we now have the Mac version of the 9800XT.

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

why make it exclusive?

Why?

WHY?

:(

How about NOT EVERYONE HAS THE G5!

Give the rest of us a chance to upgrade!

errr

:mad:

19. job macrumors 68040

job

because the retail 9800 doesn't have adc?

and maybe the G5 users want a 9800 with an adc port and the normal clock speed (380Mhz vs 350Mhz?)

look at it this way, G5 users had two options:

1. take a hit in clock speed just to have an adc port (BTO OEM 9800 Pro)

2. buy the retail 9800 Pro and have the normal clock speed, but loose the adc port.

with the new card, G5 users now have a viable, albeit expensive option to have both adc and the normal clock speed.

of course, one could always buy a dvi-to-adc adapter, but that's neither here nor there.

i've also heard rumors that ati will release the 9600 pro as a stand alone card that will work in older G4 towers as well as the G5.

20. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

That's not true. The clock speed of a Radeon 9800XT is 412MHz, so we still haven't got the best graphics card out there.

21. job macrumors 68040

job

With the release of the SE, I think that's as good as it's going to get. Why would ATi release a Mac version of the 9800XT when they just released the SE? Would another version of the 9800, albeit faster one, be worth the effort? If they were going to release a Mac version of the XT, then I don't think they would have released the SE.

22. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

I would love to get one! But that price tag really scares the hell out of me! I could seriously use the 256MB of VRAM for X-plane.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

from what i have seen all the 9800s are a hair away from each other performance wise. Adc is the main thing and i would bet on seeing a 9600 Adc pro soon for mac. and yes i have a Adc monitor.:cool: I wonder what Apples monitor sales look like? How many Adc monitors are in use?

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Just having the 256 Meg will be enough for me. 3D modeling and animation will improve oh so much and I won't have to worry about complex scenes as much.

I really hope this gets shipped on the new G5 when they're out :D

D