ATI 9000 Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iGary, Oct 4, 2004.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I like to watch DVD's on my G4, but most of them show jagged edges during rapid frame refreshes.

Will an upgrade to a 128mb card from my current 64mb improve the DVD viewing expierience?

The only other thing I could think it might help with is my Photoshop work.

Dumb questions, I know, but I'm asking anyway.

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

In the past, I've used an ibook with a 32 MB radeon 7500 and a powerbook with a 32 MB nvidea 5200go to watch DVDs. Both handled movies flawlessly... I find it very unlikely that a 64 MB Radeon 9000 should have trouble with DVDs. Methinks there is something else wrong here.

What are the other specs on your G4?

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

His profile has this:
    1.25 GHz G4 MDD Tower
    200gb HDD, 2gb DDR RAM, Panther 10.3.4

I don't think it is the video card, unless it is broken. Your card should be more than enough to handle a dvd. Does you computer ever crash? Maybe bad ram or something.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

ah, ok, overlooked that. Well, all things considered, there's nothing in your system, video card or otherwise, that should prevent a DVD from playing in melted-butter smoothness. I agree with grapes - we're looking at something broken or malfunctioning. Could be the optical drive, could be bad RAM, could be all sorts of things.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I looked through a few DVD's last night, and it only is really apparent in a concert DVD I watch a lot.

The others were fine.

Thanks!

6. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Its a problem with the interlace method used, if you open the DVD in VLC and I think turn interlacing off, it will go away.