ATI 9800 control panel

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by KentuckyApple, Sep 27, 2003.

1. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

Just got my dualie, i don't see any pref pane for my 9800 pro. Do i need to install drivers from ATI.com. Are they safe/neccessary?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The ATI control panels and pref. panes don't work with the OEM version of the ATI card.

If you look at the system profiler the card with probably be recognized as a ATY card.

---

Basically the drivers will work, but not the fancy control panel/preference pane.

For that you'd need a retail card, but the retail 9800 Pro card is only a 4x card -- though some people are using them in G5s anyway.

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Oh man that sucks :eek:

How did benchmarks online do FSAA then with the stock 9600 Pros then? They don't sell 9600 Pros non-OEM.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Please point us to these benchmarks? I don't think there is anyway of doing FSAA with any ATI card except the retail ATI9800 unless the program itself supports the feature.

5. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

WEll that sucks, i ordered mine with the radeon 9800 pro too. what does ATY mean. and i would apple sell us a high end graphics card, on a high end machine and not give us the control panel for it. thats just dumb

aethier

6. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

Hmmm, are you sure its located in the system prefs, maybe its a seperate app.

if you look at the image Here, the ati pref, isnt in to os x system preference application. it is missing the little buttun in the top rught corner to hide or show the etra thingy on top...

aethier

7. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Could someone please post, if there is in fact an extra app to control these features on the new G5 which comes with a BTO 9800 or if you cannot find it?

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i think the answer is no, the build to order card is also a agp 8 card vs 4/2 for retail. i would guess future panther builds will have support for these features but it seems only the retail card at this moment gives you the full features of the card while the g5 version is waiting for panther. please correct me if i'm wrong on this.

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

So, Panther will give us all the options to get all out of this card? I really hope so, otherwise, it would be really bad. It's like selling a car with a turbo, but without installing the button to start it...

10. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Here ya go. There has to be a way then.

http://www.accelerateyourmac.com/G5/Dual_g5_9600_9800_tests.html

[​IMG]

They explain all about the 9800 and the differences between retail and BTO, but the Radeon 9600 they use is stock G5, but they don't explain how they do FSAA for it in some of their tests.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well we should have an answer here in the next day or two. I just shot off an email to Mike at XLR8yourmac.com to see what he did.

12. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

13. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Oops, man I hate to bug that guy he's so busy. Actually I've been considering responding to his request for writers and help.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Here's the reply back I got from Mike at Xlr8yourmac.com.

15. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'm not sure what to think about this, it's very uncomfortable. Would be much easier to have a control panel/app. Let's hope for Panther...

16. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Well a control panel probably won't do much good unless you had it search for all the game's ini files on your hd. Most games allow you to enable FSAA in it's options (I know NWN does this) while other games require ini modification (UT2003).

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

just did a lil research and it turns out no adc on the 9800?? what is ati thinking? they have it on the 9000 but not 9800??

18. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep. The Retail (AGP 2x, 4x) version of the Radeon 9800 Pro only has DVi, VGA and TV-out.
    This is because the card is a "flashed" version of the PC card. No other hardware modifications were made.
    The BTO G5 Radeon 9800 ofcourse does have ADC, alongside DVI.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well that really sucks, guess ill just keep using my geforce 3. i was really planning on a 9800 but im not going to buy a $100 adapter on top of a $ 400 card. ati still doesnt quite get it when it comes to the mac.

20. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Well, that depends.
    I really was VERY happy to hear ATi were willing to produce the Retail version of the Radeon 9800 Pro card for Macintosh (the BEST gaming card!).
    Lucky for me, I still use an Apple Studio Display 21" (still better for gaming, as there is no problem with a default resolution), so I don't have to buy the extra adaptor.
    But I know how you feel.
    But, otherwise the card would have been very expensive. For ATi this was just a small adjustment, thus keeping it cheap.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

from what i understand this is nothing more then the pc card with mac drivers,every mac since the 733 has had adc yet they claim this is a mac card but no adc. come on ati isnt marketing a retail version mac card they are selling the pc card flashed for mac with the drivers. shame shame shame on ati. they seem to allways find a way to dissapoint, just like their drivers from a couple of years ago.

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It has been flashed aswell, making the card itself suitable for Macintosh. If they wanted to have added an ADC port, ATi would have to redesign the whole card.... which now is the BTO one, for the G5.
    Compare the nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 PC version with the BTO Apple version: The card for Mac is almost twice the price!
    Many do want the advantages of the Radeon 9800, maybe with a VGA or DVI monitor, and maybe some will purchase the adaptor aswell for connecting an ADC monitor....
    Having options is gr8. Having the Radeon selling at PC prices is gr8. And it still is possible to use an DVi - ADC adaptor.....

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

the 9000 has adc,9800 retail should have had it too. think of it like this-- what computer could you put this card in and game???? answer at least a adc equiped mac in other words those computers that didnt have adc are to slow to even bother with this card, you need the latest greatest mac to push this card and they are all ADC. whatever ATI was thinking is beyond me if they were marketing this card for retail mac, I know this doesnt effect new g5 buyers but it pisses the heck out of us powermac g4 users who would like to upgrade their video card.

24. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I understand what you are saying.
    But I think ATi did it with reason:
    Building the 9000 with ADC included maybe isn't as costly an effort as adding ADC support to the 9800. I know I'm guessing, here... but I would like to give ATi the benefit of the doubt.
    Like I said before, getting ADC on a GeForce 4 Ti costs ALOT of money. If you would like to upgrade to a GeForce 4 card, you are almost paying the same amount as a Radeon 9800 + DVi to ADC adaptor (!).
    Don't forget the Radeon is MUCH faster, with that super control panel (thread starter?? :) ), making all cards seem "outdated".
    Honeslty, I would go for the 9800, and get the adaptor necessary for ADC monitors.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love for ATi to have made this card ADC compatible, but somehow I think it would have rocketed the price.

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Personally I HATE ADC. It's a frigging joke. It's another proprietary connector that causes expense and trouble for switchers and people upgrading. I personally believe that Apple did this so that those that don't have there computer handy would have to buy the display so they would have a power button. Come on can anyone realistically tell me that a power button on the monitor is more convenient then the one they use to have on the keyboard. Personally Apple can take there ADC and shove it so far up their,,, that they choke.