ATI 9800 xt 256mb vs. 128mb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dragun, Jun 12, 2004.

1. dragun macrumors newbie

does anyone know if its worth it to pay for the extra memory...

I run a dual monitor setup with 2 samsung 21inch screens. Is there a big performance difference between 128mb video memory vs 256?

I use mostly graphic apps, like adobe, macromedia, etc.

Thanx.

2. dragula53 macrumors regular

hmm

I am under the impression that those applications are processor intensive, not video card intensive.

and I am not sure how much stress a second monitor puts upon your video card.

heh, I am a lot of help.

moo

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, if you don't need the 256, I'm not sure who would... Seems to me that 2 big displays and lots of demanding graphics apps would be who this is for... but I'm certainly no expert!

4. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Nope, that extra 128mb would be a complete waste. Even for gaming, it would be a waste, and there are no games that utilize that much texture memory. Since you don't even game, the only thing you're memory would be used for is framebuffer to draw the screen. and 128/2=64mb for each display would be way more than enough. Save your money and just get the 128mb version.

5. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Its my opinion that the extra memory helps at only the HIGHER RESOLUTIONS. This is where CPU power becomes LESS relevant, and the video card is MORE relevant (and hence where video's on-board memory starts to count).

Now, if you don't game (and especially nothing above 1280 x 1024) you will NOT need it. Hell, if you don't game, you are better off with a pro (as in professional) card than this consumer-model.