ATI and PCI-e when?

Discussion in 'Games' started by shake, Apr 12, 2006.

1. shake macrumors regular

HI,
    i was wondering when ATI will be releasing a PCI-e graphics card for the mac? i have a quad g5 with pci-e and a nvidia 6600. the nvidia is fine and dandy, but i miss the "opengl over-rides" from my old g4/9800pro. it really made a visual difference and there is no comparable software for nvidia cards (that i know of).

so does anyone know if/when ATI will release soemthing for PCI-e macs? even an X800 will do...

any insight/news is appreciated.
    d

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

nether ati nor nvidia make cards for the mac, when i asked i was told it was compleatly upto apple what cards are packaged for macs. So no Ati unless apple says so.

3. shake thread starter macrumors regular

umm, yes they do make cards for the mac. if you look inside any recent mac, you can see the branding right on the card. ati and nvidia have no say in what apple decides to put into their machines, apple only makes the drivers for the cards. you have been able to get ATI cards as a retail upgrade.like the x800xt mac edition, 9800pro mac edition, 9600 pro mac/pc edition.

maybe i should have made myslef more clear....

when is ATI going to release a retail package so mac users with PCI-e can use one of their cards?

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Short answer - nobody knows. There has been no official announcememnt.

Back in January (at MWSF), ATI had a PowerMac G5 (PCI-e) running with a prototype Radeon X1800XT, but since then there has been no word on it. Since the X1900XT is already out, they may have dropped the X1800XT in favor of the newer card. Or they might be waiting till the next PowerMacs (Intel) show up. Usually they release a retail card after the OEM card is developed. But that would mean waiting until at least August. :(

Currently, the ony non-BTO PCI-e cards you can buy (besides the 6600GT Apple offers a la carte at the Apple Store) are DIY flashed PC cards. And since there are no ATI cards sold in the PCI-e Macs, there are no Mac ROMs to hack for flashing. Your only flashing options are nVidia: the 7800GT or Quadro.

Hopefully ATI will release some retail cards, but they are probably waiting to see what the next PowerMacs will be and release a PCI-e card that can work in Intel PowerMacs as well as PPC PowerMacs. But again, not till August at least.