ATI Mobility 9100 IGP--how does it compare?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jamdr, Sep 8, 2004.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Okay, I'm zeroing in on a new laptop to buy and it has come down to either a PowerBook or a PC. The last point of consideration I have is the graphics power of each. I'm not a big gamer but I do occasionally play Warcraft III or Halo, etc.

From what I've been able to gather, the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 is the best graphics card available in most laptops (Mac and PC alike). So compared to that, how does the ATI Mobility 9100 IGP perform? I know that it is an integrated solution, but it will be able to power 3D games, right? And also, how does it compare to Intel Extreme Graphics?

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy a comp with an "integrated" graphics chip.

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Of course it will be able to power 3D0 games like Heroes 3 and the Might and Magic Series.... :rolleyes:

Oh, you said 3D.......... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

3D graphics on and integrated chipset.... HAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Ok, just kidding, but really, do not buy a laptop with integrated graphics. :)

4. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Here is what ATI has to say about it:

Can it really be as bad as Intel graphics? Does anyone have any experience with it?

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Value and Performance never go hand in hand. Ok, so this chip is no where as bad as Intel Extreme Graphics, but its still far from a dedicated graphics chip.

6. applekid macrumors 68020

It can do pixel-shading? :eek:

One big plus I find with Apple is they give you a nice true graphics card, not some crappy IGP. But, the ATI IGP is better than an Intel IGP, but a real dedicated card beats both of them. If gaming isn't that important, stick with a decent Mac. Just make sure to not complain about game performance, but since you consider yourself a casual gamer, I think you won't mind.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB is basically the best mobility graphics card other than the (massive) Mobility 9800.

8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

The best laptop for gaming right now is only avaliable from DELL (I know, it's a contradiction in it's own right). Dell is the only place to buy a laptop with the mobile 9800 (aka mobile x800!). This card kicks the pants off of the 9700.

I know all you guys think that IGProcessors are bad, but that's practically what apple does with the imac... it's not like you can pop a module out... they integrate the GPU & board into the mobo... making it an integrated chipset. Ever pop open your powerbook? yeah... VPU right there on the mobo... same with the imac. I know the 9100 sucks, but by saying 'never ever ever +....+ ever' is bullsh*t, because most of you bought a laptop of imac thereby breaking your own rule and becomming a hypocrite. ...unless of course you vow to never buy suck a computer again....

Anyway, I'd wait until the next powerbook revision has the 9800m chipset. Granted the G4 design won't feed the card fast enough, but why not... it's never worth buying a dell laptop.