ATI Mobility Radeon 9800!

Discussion in 'Games' started by keysersoze, Aug 26, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 Announced! :)

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040727/index.html

But only for Dell's right now. :(

"Its name might lead one to suspect that the graphics core of the MR9800 is a derivative of the Radeon 9800 (R350) or Radeon 9800XT (R360) desktop chip, both of which have eight pixel pipelines and four vertex shaders. However, that is not the case here. The basis for the MR9800 is the graphics core of the X800, i.e. the first graphics chip from ATi with PCI express interface. Why isn't the chip called Mobility Radeon X800, then? Well, ATi decided that only products with the PCI Express Interface may have an "X" in the model name, and the MR9800 is only a graphics processor with an AGP interface. "

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

3. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

OH WELL CRAP.

Sorry.

I suck.

4. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Since this thread should be all but wastelanded...I have a question for you vraxtus-

... your computer specs are similar to mine... I just tried installing and playing Sim City 4 ony my G5 last night and got the black screen of death when I launched it (even after patches). Just curious if you have it and have gotten it to work?

5. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Actually I've not played SC4... what exactly did you mean by BSD :)D) because I've actually had very few gaming problems on mine with the exception of War3 refusing to quit sometimes.

6. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

When I initially launch the game, my screen goes black, and I have to force-quit to get back to my desktop. I went to Aspyr's support site and downloaded 2 patches, that supposedly fixes the BSD for ATI cards. Unfortunately it doesn't say which ones. I am wondering if the 9800 SE is not included in the patches... which would suck because I would like to play the game. :(

7. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Actually, on the subject of W3, have you installed any of Blizzard's patches? I got 1.14 to install, but the subsequent Mac patches 1.15 and 1.16 refuse to install for some reason... even on top of a fresh install of the game. Any luck with those? :)

8. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Ok this might be a hard question to answer... but does the screen go black as in it's displaying black color? Or is it black as in the backlight is out?

Because my sense is that if it's displaying in black color then the application is probably launching but there's some incompatibility with either the card or the OS. If the backlight is out it may be that the game is trying to change the resolution, but your monitor can't display it. My best guess but I'll see what I can find out for you.

9. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

No, I've actually had 0 War3 problems with my comp... and boy does it look nice with FSAA and AF with our cards! Wouldn't you agree? :D

If they won't patch try a manual install from the battle.net website.

10. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I checked Aspyr's site... are you on v. 1.0.2 or 1.0.1? They claim 1.0.1 fixes it but if you're not on 1.0.2 yet it might be worth a shot.

11. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Without a doubt, a truly awesome game. I remember I first tried it on an iBook G3 with 16MB of VRAM.

OOOOFFF.

Life is sweet now. :)

12. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Thanks for checking on that. I did install 1.0.1 and then 1.0.2. The same BSD after each install. When I launch, the monitor actually switches off, like it is trying to switch to a different resolution, but can't do it. So it's not just a black-colored screen... :confused:

13. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Maybe try doing a manual resolution change before you open the application. It may be trying to display at a higher resolution than your monitor may allow. This is not very common but I've known it to happen before...

14. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I actually tried this and it WANKED my computer. I set the resolution lower (800x600), and then launched SC4 and still black screen. I then tried to change my resolution back and it wouldn't do it! I tried everything to no avail, and then wound up throwing out a bunch of preference files and that fixed it so my display could actually work at 1024x768.

I should point out that I am using an old-school Apple 1705 Multiscan which is incapable of displaying over 1024x768... maybe that's the problem. Although I've never had a problem with any other game before, including COD, MOHAA and others.

Hey-- if we keep this up we'll both reach avatar by the end of the day :)

15. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

O_O Now I'm stumped :p It should be fine, however, as most games will run at 1024x768 with no problem at all. However... it's possible that it's incapable of running at 32-bit color, but that's very unlikely since I'm guessing you're running your games at 32-bit with that card :D

And yeah, that's the plan :)

16. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I checked on the 32-bit color issue before getting the card... and MOHAA works on 32-bit... now I've got to get my hands on one of the new cinema displays... ;)

Do you know if W3, COD or any of the other newer Mac games work with a wide-screen format?

17. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

BTW here's your monitor specs:

Apple Multiple Scan 1705 Specifications

Screen Attributes
    17" Shadow mask
    15.8 viewable image
    .28 mm dot pitch
    Input Signal
    Video Signal : Analog
    H Frequency : 30-65 Khz
    V Frequency : 50-120 Hz
    Sync Signal :

Video Bandwidth
    Mhz
    Input Connector
    DB-15

Maximum Resolution
    Maximum : Up to 1024x768, 75 Hz
    Macintosh : 1024x768, 75 Hz
    Flicker free :

Power Use
    Power Supply : 165 watts
    Consumption :
    Compatibility
    Mac Adapter : II Series
    PC Adapter : Mac Connect

User Controls
    Digital controls
    BR, CT, HZ, HS, VE, VS, CV, PN, TZ, DG
    Plug and Play: No

Dimensions and Weight
    Height : 17.2
    Width : 16.5
    Depth : 18.8
    Weight : 45.2
    Regulatory Compliance
    EMS EMI :
    Safety :
    X-Ray :
    Radiation :

Power Saving
    EPA "EnergyStar"

18. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It's about 9 years old, I believe :p

So does it suck that bad?

19. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I've heard that War3 does in fact support widescreen but I've never had any experience with it... I'm on a 17" Studio that's running 4:3 AR.

And actually I never had a single problem with older Apple monitors. I myself had the 15" one that came bundled with the Performa 6400/200 :D That one supported 1024x768 res with no probs...

I'm still not sure why yours won't display SC3 however...

20. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I am actually pretty happy with the 1705... I need it to hang in there for awhile longer. Aspyr support got back to me regarding SC4:

"The black cities mean that the original files for these cites were corrupt. Fortunately this is fairly easy to resolve. All you need to do is go into your user's home folder, open the Library folder, open the Application Support folder and remove the SimCity4 folder located there."

I don't think this will resolve my issue... considering I can't even launch the application. I sent a reply detailing my issues further... hopefully they will be able to give a better answer.

21. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Did you try a reinstall?

22. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I actually have not. I'll give it a go tonight after work.

23. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Yeah... cuz if they're saying the files are corrupted... it might not be a bad idea to wipe all your old SC4 files, and do a clean install of the game, then patch, THEN try playing it.

24. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I agree... After my initial install I tried launching it once and it failed. THEN I patched it. Maybe the initial pre-patch launch somehow FUBAR'd it. I will clean it out and attempt to make it work...

Hopefully Doom3 won't have the same issues.

;)

25. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Whenever THAT comes out for Mac :(

Somehow I'm fairly confident that it will run well, however.