ATi & nVida retail GFX cards NOT HDCP compliant

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by LethalWolfe, Feb 14, 2006.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Link/

According to the article at firingsquad.com there are currently no retail video cards for sale (or even announced) that are actually HDCP compliant. Only OEM versions of the cards are compliant. Obviously this is worse news for Windows users than Mac users (1. because I'd guess more Windows users use retail cards and 2. because Vista requires HDCP for some things), but it's just BS in general, IMO.

This whole transition to HD just seems to get uglier and uglier.

Lethal

2. Motley macrumors 6502

This is why I'm wondering if the whole HD-DVD and Blueray transition is going to be a disaster. Even on HD compatible TV's not many currently have HDCP and it totatly screws the early adopters. Only a small amount of people have HD capable TVs and of that only a small subset are HDCP compatible.

So want HD movies, need to buy the player, need to buy the more expensive movies, and need to buy a new TV/monitor to play them on.

It seems like the movie studios are trying to kill the format.

3. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Does a stock card in a Mac count as a OEM card ?

Well I seem to be able to play 1080p just fine so hope I will be able to play thses just fine.....and if not we have people like DVD Jon ;)

4. Motley macrumors 6502

The problem is not being able to display the resolution, the problem is they lack all the encryption and validation hardware that's required as part of HDCP, without it the movie's resolution is set to standard def, or doesn't display at all.

Some basic info on HDCP for those interested

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Oh..ok thanks....as said then HD is going worse and worse :mad:

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This is only a problem until someone cracks HDCP:D . I can understand movie studios wanting to protect their content. But, I am against them making their content more difficult and costly for honest consumers that buy there movies:mad: .

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Even though the Wikipedia article states that HDCP has already been cracked, I doubt it'll be very clean, unlike DeCSS. The key revocation business in particular seems like something that could easily be abused and cause lots of trouble for the consumer.

I agree with Motley that the transition to HDCP protected media is looking like it will probably turn into a disaster, particularly for the 80% of HDTV owners out there whose sets are not HDCP compliant.

Basically, like the Windows XP activation which as far as I can tell is currently ignored.

B

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm definitely going to sit out the HDCP thing until it's pretty mature...overall it looks like early implementation will be poor.

Plus, if history is any guide, it will be cracked in a relatively short time and that may force revisions to the standard that will in turn force users to upgrade their hardware again - not a good idea to be an early adopter with this.

9. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Considering the media, the player and the TV/monitor all actively work together to form the HDCP DRM I think it will be very tough nut crack. Especially since the encryption keys can be changed/update via updates embedded in HDTV signals and Hi Def DVDs.

Lethal

10. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Over here in 2004/2005 a load of TV's were sold with 'HD Ready Stickers' but no HDCP in them, now all the TV broadcasters (mainly BskyB) are now rolling out their HD systems which are HDCP required a load of people won't be able to watch them.

The European Union stepped in by standardising a HD ready compliancy which should be used on these Graphics cards and pc's as well.

I'm sure the customers of these retail cards have right under the Trading Standards to get their money back under false advertisement laws.

11. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

DRM is really making me mad lately. In fact, for my senior research paper, I'm looking at DRM and why it's really being used. I really wish that the movie companies would realize that they are just shooting themselves in the foot.