ATI updates Mac Radeon ROM & Drivers

Discussion in 'Games' started by keysersoze, Sep 21, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I shamelessly copied and pasted this from SantaDuck.com :)

ATI updates Mac Radeon ROM & Drivers: ATI today released the ATI Displays Control Panel 4.4 (a revised drivers for both OEM and retail Radeon cards), as well as the September 2004 Firmware Update for retail Radeon cards. These drivers are newer than those included in Apple's recent OS X 10.3.5 update. Owners of OEM cards should now be able to access new control panel settings such as FSAA, anisotropic filtering, and depending on the card, other updated features including Mac2TV (Video Output, Simulscan), Mirror Displays (VERSAVISION display rotation, 3D, 2D, and DVD Acceleration Support). See the release notes below for full details. Retail cards require the ROM (firmware) update before the driver update. The release notes read in part:
    "The current version of ATI Displays supports all retail and OEM (Apple Supplied) RADEON cards (including built-in graphics in PowerBook, iBook and eMac products). ATI Displays will work with Rage 128 retail products with limited functionality and will also identify Rage II and older products, but will not provide Mac2TV or other settings. ATI Displays supports significant new features all RADEON cards... The primary feature of interest to most users will be the 3D/Open GL Overrides. This is available for all RADEON products running on any Power Mac..."

Links here:
    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/macosx-ati-displays-4-4-readme.html

I'm at work, so someone should install this and let us know how exciting it is!

EDIT: I've included the Firmware download link below, as well as the ATI Displays 4.4 Software download link. Please scroll and find the post.

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I would if I could find where to download it. :\

I've spent the last ten minutes trying to find it on the ati website but to no avail. :confused:

3. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

ATI's site sucks. Here- try this. Just make your selections across the board and see what pops up. Don't forget to click on the tiny 'Go' button!

http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

4. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I think this is the direct Firmware download page....

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/mac/atimacromsept2004.html

:)

EDIT: Please scroll down if you only need a link to the ATI Displays 4.4 download page. Not all computers need the firmware update.

5. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

thanks, that site is a f****** nightmare to navigate.

one question, it doesn't say anything about supporting the mobility radeon 9700, is it still safe to install?

6. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

You DO NOT need to upgrade your firmware before installing the software.

The ATI Displays update is here:
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/mac/macosx-ATI-displays-4-4.html

(versus the firmware update link I placed above. Sorry.)

The Notes says:

"ATI Displays - Supported Cards
    The current version of ATI Displays supports all retail and OEM (Apple Supplied) RADEON cards (including built-in graphics in PowerBook, iBook and eMac products). ATI Displays will work with Rage 128 retail products with limited functionality and will also identify Rage II and older products, but will not provide Mac2TV or other settings."

I believe this includes your 9700.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Too bad it doesn't list the 9600pro as a supported card :mad:

8. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I know the list doesn't have the 9600pro. But I don't believe the list. I believe the release notes. I really do think that when it says ALL Radeon products, it means just that. But I don't really know.

Want to be a guinea pig and try to install it? :)

Wouldn't blame you if you didn't. :)

The Notes say the new software supports all PowerBook, iBook and eMac cards, but they aren't all listed either...

9. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Whoa cool, a bunch of buttons I have no idea of that of which they do! :eek:

anyways I installed it, it's working good, no problems so far.

screens:

10. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Sweet! I just read the release notes and it DOES support the 9600 and other apple manufactured OEM crap! I'll be your guinea pig come 5pm!

11. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Best of luck to you! I will be testing myself later tonight... it's nice to see some screen shots-- thanks for posting those FistfulofAngst!

:)

I am hoping it will let me turn on/off FSAA... Some games love it, but SimCity 4 brings my computer to its knees. I heard that turning off that option makes it better.... we'll see.

12. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It looks like you can specify certain preferences for individual apps/games!!!! That makes me giddy... :)

13. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

more screens, settings, preferences and location in system preferences. I'm afraid to use it, no idea what most of these settings do. I'll wait on others that know what their doing and see what they say before I play with it. :eek:

14. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Keyser...............

From the Release Notes:

Hardware/Software Requirements

Supported ATI Graphics Cards (this release only): ALL RADEON GRAPHICS PRODUCTS

All retail and OEM (Apple supplied) products are now supported with the latest version of ATI Displays. Functionality and features will vary from product to product. Please see the built-in Help document in ATI Displays for more information.
    Each software set contains drivers for the above retail products and compatible built-in graphics options. It is safe to use both a retail product along with an existing built-in product with this single driver set. Please follow the recommended installation procedures to ensure that you do not lose any Apple-specific files.

Minimum Requirements: Mac*OS*X

Power Macintosh Desktop Computer
    Mac*OS*X 10.2.x or newer (10.2.8 + recommended)
    128MB of System Memory (RAM)
    RADEON ROM Update (released Sep 2004) for full advanced feature-set on retail board products.

Now it may be possible you don't need the ROM update for OEM boards but I would install it just to be safe.

15. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I was referring to the Radeon 9700 in the immediately preceding post, which really does NOT need the firmware update. The user of that 9700 has kindly been providing all of the pics for us.

Obviously the firmware is needed by some folks. Like me (and you with Retail cards). but if you don't need it, I wouldn't go installing it. Like the infamous uniprocessor firmware update from apple, which has messed up some computers. Just my thoughts on it.

16. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Well, i just installed this on my dual 1.8. It works fine, and plays great with my ATI 9600Pro. I even have the ati overclocker thinggy still installed. They seem to play fine with each other. So if any of you are wondering if this works with 9600pros, you're good to go!

17. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hey, that's good to know. I installed it last night and had no problems, but I reset my ATI overclocker thingy to factory specs... I haven't dialed it up again, however if you say it still works, I'll have to play with that too. :)

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Speaking from the trailing edge of technology -

Am I correct in assuming that this will allow me to take advantage of the Rage Pro Turbo in my iMac and its massive 6MB of VRAM?

If so, do I need both the control panel and ROM updater?

19. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Dual 2.5 G5 updated - no problems

I updated both ROM and Driver file (although I think the Rom was already updated - so I do not think it did anything) on my Dual 2.5 G5 and other then the new extention I did not notice anything. But the good news is that that means nothing bad to notice.

The only game I'm currently playing is Neverwinter nights on my 23 inch display and it seems quite fluid on the highest settings.... (resolution is a more med setting)

But alas someday I'll get a 6800 card and this will be all for not!

Cheers

Iriejedi

20. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Alas, I think this software is only for Radeon cards... not Rage. Unfortunately I think you are left out. :(

21. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

So, install or do not install on my 7500-equipped eMac?

22. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It's a Radeon, so go right ahead and install the Displays 4.4 software. :)

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

But the Notes say

Doesn't that mean that the software will take advantage (albeit with "limited functionality") of the video hardware, which OS X currently ignores?

24. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

If that's what the notes say, then I would believe them over me... :) Have at it!

25. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well only reason I asked is that I was always under the impression that I should get drivers FROM APPLE only, through their software updates, and that any drivers from ATI themselves was simply for retail cards.