Ati video Cards in Australia

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aussie_geek, Dec 19, 2004.

1. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I can be buggered if I can find a place here in Australia that sells ATI cards for macs. Do any of you aussies know of any stores that sell them?

If there is nowhere here I was thinking of getting it from PC mall in the US. The prices there are better anyway. Has anyone delt with them before with international orders?

aussie_geek

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I have had the same problem, but if you go over to Apple Talk Australia and ask the question they will be able to help you. It is easier to use an Aussie site for local questions than here, because of the small Aussie user base here.

Good luck.

3. aussie_geek thread starter macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Thanks mate,

At least I will be able to start looking in the right directions. One thing about that site is that you have to join to search.. Oh well.

I also posted on the Apple discussions forums and was told that it may be a good idea to email some of the larger Applecentres as cards are not 'hot selling' items - they may have to give me a quote and order it in...

aussie_geek

4. JRM macrumors member

PLaces to buy ATI

macmall.com.au has a few gpu's the 9000 and 9800 mac edition, hopefully this may help you

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Hey there,

Macmall (www.macmall.com.au, actually AppleCentre Chatswood) sells the 64MB ATI Radeon 9000 Pro card for AU $449, and the 128MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro card for AU $949. After you've picked your jaw up off the ground (those prices are absolute daylight robbery), I suggest you head over to somwhere like Other World Computing (www.macsales.com), or PC Mall as you have suggested, and order your card in from the United States. It will end up costing several hundred dollars less. I bought a 256MB Radeon 9800 Special Edition from Other World Computing a few months back for around AU $550, including international delivery, insurance and Australian Customs charges. I ended up selling the original 64MB Radeon 9600 Pro card that came with my G5 for AU $200 on eBay (to a G4 PowerMac owner of all people, who successfully performed the sticky-tape AGP 8x to AGP 4x conversion! :) ).

There is clearly an opportunity for a reseller in Australia to exploit an admittedly small, yet untapped market for Mac video card upgrades. Charging almost AU $1000 for what is really a mid-range card these days (and which costs under AU $400 for the PC version these days) is sickening. Any Australia dealers out there listening? ;)