Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m3henn04

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
i tired using the graphicaccelerator program on my macpro 2.66ghz with a x1900xt and couldnt get the rom dump to work which makes the whole program useless unless I am doing something wrong.

m3henn04

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
Another question... How come when I play RTCW in OSX i can barely maintain 125FPS but if I play the same game with the same configs running under Win XP Pro i can get 333FPS and maintain it? It will even spike up to 500+FPS under Win XP.

This maybe evident that it is Apple who has the card underclocked and not ATI when it comes shipped. Or is OSX just that much more intensive on a video card.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It may partly be that but it's also that the clocking is driver-based and the ATI drivers under Windows will be standard and therefore will be 'uncrippled'. The OS X drivers will be 'crippled' for noise vs thermal managment more than anything else I suspect. I spent about 30 minutes looking at a taken-down Mac Pro and the thing has to have about half the effective nominal airflow through it than my Precision 690 (which is, like the Mac Pro, just another 5000X based PC). Everything is for silence of course and at peak load I can definitely hear all the fans ramping up on my Dell, whereas it all stays pretty quiet on a Mac Pro.

[G5]Hydra

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2004
Sesshi said:
It may partly be that but it's also that the clocking is driver-based and the ATI drivers under Windows will be standard and therefore will be 'uncrippled'. The OS X drivers will be 'crippled' for noise vs thermal managment more than anything else I suspect. I spent about 30 minutes looking at a taken-down Mac Pro and the thing has to have about half the effective nominal airflow through it than my Precision 690 (which is, like the Mac Pro, just another 5000X based PC). Everything is for silence of course and at peak load I can definitely hear all the fans ramping up on my Dell, whereas it all stays pretty quiet on a Mac Pro.

No, the clock is low under Windows as well. Most people first noticed the undeclocked nature of the card under XP.

-Jerry C.

alien2108

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2005
Maribor, Slovenia
I can confirm you can sucessfully change clocks in rom dump of X1900XT. Look at strangedogs forum! I did it trying to make PC version of X1900XT/256Mb to work with EFI MacPro X1900XT rom dump and played with clocks...

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
Graphiccelerator 1.3.2 which supports x1900xt was just released.

http://thomas.perrier.name/graphiccelerator.html

Has anyone here tried it yet?

Apparently the dumping & flashing utils it comes with are not Intel Mac compatible, so you'll need Windows utils to do the dumping and flashing. Graphiccelerator just makes the appropriate mods to the ROM image.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
i'm just going to wait until ATIccelerator is compatible with it, so much easier finding the limit of the card and its easy to undo if you overclock the memory too high and screw over the machine permanently.

m3henn04

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
You can overclock the card when running XP using the ATI Catalyst program but I havent been able to determine if it stays at the new clocked speed when you reboot back into OSX.

I also had an issue after overclocking and then rebooting XP it gave me an error and I had to reset the VID card back to the original clock speed. It also doesnt show any benefit when gaming in XP to even have the card overclocked as the reading in the Catalyst program never seems to increase and I get enough FPS (400+) to get a constant "Connection Interupted" because the server can't handle the speed.

vinylator

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2006
m3henn04 said:
Another question... How come when I play RTCW in OSX i can barely maintain 125FPS but if I play the same game with the same configs running under Win XP Pro i can get 333FPS and maintain it? It will even spike up to 500+FPS under Win XP.

This maybe evident that it is Apple who has the card underclocked and not ATI when it comes shipped. Or is OSX just that much more intensive on a video card.

RTCW is not an universal binary. It has to run under rosetta, hence, the slower framerate... (i think)

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
m3henn04 said:

not to mention that ATI is absoultly horrible at OpenGL, and i mean noticibly horrible. So using direct X9 may give you some performance boost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.