ATI X700 details

Discussion in 'Games' started by keysersoze, Sep 21, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

ATI, nvidia,... they're like apple. They come out with a great product, but nobody can get their hands on it for 6 months. This card seems OK. However, in openGL games the 6600GT still wastes it. So, (not like we have a choice) I would like to see the 6600GT show up on the mac scene. But, considering that nvidia never compiles the drivers or makes override panels (apple ports the nvidia drivers), I would have to side with ATI. They offer updated drivers, and nifty panels that give gamers choice. Torn, but that's what i think in the end. it's too bad that it doesn't even matter what we think, we have no control over what's to be offered on the mac platform. I love ATI, but it seems apple has been put in the frigerator while they combat nvidia on the pc side only. I'd love to see a retail X800 XT Special G5 Edition. Yeah baby. but i doubt that happens for at least another 6 months. The current 'Motion' premotion ends in december, so they'll wait at least till that expires. I often wonder if ATI uses apple as a consumer of outdated GPU's that don't sell on the PC side anymore.

3. CannonFodder macrumors member

ATI is a heck of alot more focused on the Mac end of things than Nvidia. Nvidia supplies a card here and there, with no Mac retail products. ATI on the other hand releases Retail cards, supplies OEM cards to Apple, and now has released their ATI Displays CP (with 3D Overrides) for both OEM and Retail cards.

I used to have a GF4 Ti and never owned a really decent ATI card until I got the OEM R9800 Pro in my 1st gen Dual 2 GHz G5, and have since upgraded to the R9800 Pro 256 Special Edition... Who know what other goodies they have in store down the road ;)

I'll never buy another Nvidia card again, Mac or PC.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The only issue with ATI supplying almost all of Apple's card is that Nvidia has clearly higher OpenGL performance on their cards. Sure, the X800/Radeon 9800XT may have higher DirectX performance, but that doesn't apple to Macs at all. Go look at some Doom3 benchmarks. Its clear that the Nvidia 6800 wins hands down, at all settings. Apple needs to embrace Nvidia some more, even though ATI has been their long-time friend.

5. a2daj macrumors member

It's all about implementation. Mac OS X's implementation of the OpenGL API is going to be different than Windows. The functionality should remain the same, but performance, available API features, etc, will be different. So, just because one card performs better with OpenGL apps on one platform doesn't necessarily mean the same will hold true on another platform.

6. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I'd just like to say that while Nvidia has got the hardware, they don't make the software. No override panels etc... why? because they provide the code to apple, and they're supposed to port it. Does apple port the override panels? NO! Apple doens't deliver with their end of the bargin! I agree that Nvidia is where its at, but there are other problems to overcome before i jump on a new nvidia card. ATI has a desire to deliver(both hardware and software), whereas nvidia only delivers hardware.

I think i'll hold out until January/Feb to get a new gfx card... hopefully by they the X800 XT will be avail for the mac.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

OpenGL is the API. Its a cross-platform standard, meaning its the same on Windows, Linux and Mac. Thats the whole point of having OpenGL. Now, that being said, you're right about the implementation, BUT the implementation isnt the issue here, its the speed of the cards. The tests are comparing two cards on the same implementation of OpenGL on two cards, so that will show which card yields the best OpenGL scores. It would be very very very unlikely that the Windows implementation of OpenGL has some part of it that makes OpenGL run better on Nvidia cards, while on the Mac it would run better on ATI cards.

8. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Nvidia don't make any cards at all, you need to bitch to some of their partners like Asus, Abit, MSI, Leadtek, etc who manufacture the cards on their behalf if you want a retail mac version.