ATI X800 XT Mac review @ Anandtech.com

Discussion in 'Games' started by vashim66, Jan 6, 2005.

1. vashim66 macrumors member

http://anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2313

Gives pics, benchmarks, etc on the new card by ATI. I was pretty dissappointed to see that ATI underclocked the Mac version of the board for the same price of the faster PC version. Also, that the noise levels are the same as the 6800 Ultra. Regardless, it looks like the best video card option right now for the mac.

2. Funkatation macrumors regular

Considering they were able to keep the price point at $499, I'd rather have the very minor clock decrease on the core (25mhz), keep in mind the memory is at the same clock. The Mac version include an extra TMDS chip (as described in the article) to support DDL so that increases cost as well. I think this is the first time they have released a card for mac at approx the pc prices (if you can FIND an AGP variant of the X800XT... over 6 months old and still hard to find) This is a great alternative to the 6800GT/Ultra as it only takes 1 slot. Let's just hope the drivers improve.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

actually, the benchmarks at barefeats are more vague. They include a Motion benchmark, but it isn't a very "accurate" where benchmarks are concerned...

a Q3 benchmark with those cards it pointless.

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I just felt I got a better understanding of the card's capabilities from the Barefeet's site. That's all.

Considering that was Anand's second Mac article ever, I'm not sure how much weight it should carry. Xbench?

6. applekid macrumors 68020

I find the Halo benchmarks odd. BareFeats shows the X800 XT is the winner, but Anandtech shows the 6800 Ultra is the winner.

Yeah, and since XBench is just unreliable, I don't think those XBench benchmarks show anything at all. And are they right about the UI being much more reliant on the GPU in Tiger than in Panther?

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yes. Coreimage is only supported by (A) Cards with programable pixel thingies, and (B) 64 MB VRAM.

PS. Sorry about the vagueness, but I know nothing about the programmable pixel thingies...

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Oh don't worry about it :)

But, I meant as in other things besides what CoreImage can do. I thought maybe some things we see on the screen aren't quite drawn by the GPU even if your graphics card is Quartz-enabled. But, I digress.

9. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Inside Mac Games has also just published a review of the X800 XT (http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=548). Their benchmarking shows that with FSAA turned off, the X800 XT and the GeForce 6800 Ultra are neck and neck all the way from 640x480 up to 1600x1200 (less that 2 fps difference between the cards at the most). With 4x FSAA turned on, the X800 XT starts to pull away from the GeForce, and is faster at all resolutions tested. These differences are more pronounced at higher resolutions (51.13 fps vs. 39.08 fps at 1280x1024 and 41.23 fps vs 29.12 fps at 1600x1200, both in favour of the Radeon).

When Halo's advanced pixel shaders are turned on, the results are similar, but with the Radeon being slightly faster again at lower resolutions.

10. a2daj macrumors member

Better information? Well, if all you want to know is how a game runs at one resolution, I guess they have all you need to know. As far as technical information... barefeats is usually lacking in that area.

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

(A) Yes.
    (B) No. You don't need 64MB RAM! http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html
    The Powerbook 12-inch rev B has 32MB VRAM (fx5200), but still supports coreimage.

12. thecow macrumors 6502

You could always overclock it. :p :p Don't think you'd want to do that on a brand new $500 video card thought. ;)

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

From the Page-2 Mac OS X 10.3.8 update developer seed:

- NVIDIA graphics performance fixes
    - OpenGL performances fixes

This could mean that the 6800 Ultra will outperform the X 800XT running Mac OS X 10.3.8... however.... ATi will probably update their drivers pretty soon too.

Don't forget that in the PC world the nVidia does have a better OpenGL performance than the ATi. Different story using DirectX.
    But as Mac OS X uses OpenGL for gaming, you would suppose that the 6800 Ultra card is the best piece of grfx card hardware for the G5 to date.

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Gosh I'm stupid... I knew that the earlier powerbooks had fx5200's with 32 MB RAM. I guess I just forgot since my PB with an fx5200 has 64. Thanks for the correction, nonetheless.

15. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

The card is now avaliable for preorder from the ATI store. The review provides links to other preorder sites, but just an FYI

16. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

17. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Both of them are obviously not using identical computers - mother boards, CPUs etc - so that might account for the differences.

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

These may be shipping; ATI called today to confirm my shipping address.

Note, save 10% off using coupon code "1000" or "1010" via ATI store. :)