ATI Xclaim USB TV on Mac OS X....Can it work???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by t300, Sep 19, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I just got an old ATI Xclaim USB TV for the Mac. Basically, it is just a little box that you hook a coaxial cable to on one end and a USB comes out the other to plug into your Mac. Simple enough. It came with OS 9 drivers and player, and I was told from the seller that it won't work on Mac OS X. Well, I looked on the website and found the drivers section for the device and it says they have them for 9 and 8.6 but not for anything before or OS X.

Now, I can't possibly imagine that that this could no way be used on my PB running Panther. There MUST be something out there, I just have no idea what it is. Does anyone know a solution for my problem?

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

3. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

I will test this out and get back to you, but for now, thanks a lot! I will owe you if it works!

4. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, I am pretty sure this doesn't work, thank you , though..

So I am now back to square one..Any ideas?

5. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

you are SOL...unless of course you decide to write your own driver...which if you do, please include compatibility with the USB 2.0 version as well :D.

6. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Are you in the same boat as well?

7. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

not exactly. i was interested in the ATI Xclaim, but with no OS X support from either ATI or a 3rd party, it was kind of useless. They recently announced a USB 2.0 version, but I am not aware of any OS X support in that camp either (though there very well may be, i just don't know about it). I'm probably just going to buy the EyeTV w/ Firewire (and HDTV but I have no HD viewing capabilities) since it is actually DESIGNED for OS X.

I did a quick search for you on MacUpdate, they had NOTHING to drive ATI USB Xclaim

I think the problem with it is it is a propietary piece of hardware, meaning industry standard command's won't run the Xclaim, only commands specifically designated by ATI, so unless they design a driver for it, I don't think you will ever see one.

8. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

(I can't check it right now, so I don't know, but...)

If this is OS 9 software, will I be able to perhaps run it in Classic? It seems logical... But perhaps not.

9. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

A simple bump for everyone out there who might be willing to help...

I mean, I don't know...Could someone write drivers for this? I'm clueless about this!