ATI's 9700 release

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ottonian, Feb 4, 2003.

1. ottonian macrumors member

Anyone have any idea when this card will be available on the built to order power Macs?
    Seems like Apple would know the costs and be able to figure them into an order but when I went to buy...all I got was 'can't do it, item not yet released...'

2. ottonian thread starter macrumors member

an answer...sort of.

Just talked to an Apple sales rep who kind of nodded-nodded, winked-winked that the card would be available by Feb. 28th or Mar. 4th.

Talk about a carrot in front of our collective noses...

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Is that going to come in just the 128Meg config or will there be others?

I'd love to take that for a test drive on Lightwave - would be nice.

D

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have ordered the dual 1.25 GHz, wtih the standard ATI 9000 Pro card. I wanted the 9700, but I didn't want to wait for it. Nobody could tell me when it would be coming....
    I'm sure glad I won't have to wait at least another month, especially as these things come to Europe a couple of weeks later.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: an answer...sort of.

Man this sucks. So when we finally get the ATI9700 based on the R300 core the rest of the world will be witnessing the prerelease of the ATI? with the R350 core. In turn it will probably be Christmas before the new card makes it to our Macs.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

X-mas 2004..... probably

Why the h*** is this, anyway? The 9700 for PC is around for half a year now, and at MWSF the card was presented already.
    So it can't be hardware (they have enough PC ones, and I pressume they only have to flash te ROM = software)
    So it can't be drivers (was presented a month ago)
    Are they keeping them all for PC? Are they afraid that hardly any Mac owner will buy one?

Whatever, this sucks. We always get second best when it comes to ATI

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

As you know Apple BTO and OEM video cards use ADC instead of DVI, which means there is a non-standard AGP card configuration and a new board must be fabricated and tested for use in PMs.

But due to the power requirements of the new generation of AGP cards Apple seems to be adding a third power line to the card (second being the power for the display), so the newest high drain OEM video cards will probably work best in the new PMs.

So it's most likely not just a flash the ROM and we got a new video card for the Macs.

8. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

While we are talking about graphics cards...
    is Halo comming out for the mac only or will it be on the pc too.
    or will msft put it on thier pc's then a month later port it for us..?
    also will it run smoothly on the powermacs with the radeon 9700?
    oh and does anyone know when and if the nVIDIA gforce fx will come for the mac platform?

9. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

That third power port behind the AGP slot itself makes perfect sense, as the PC 9700 has a hard drive type power port. Apple in all it's wisdom is making it easier to connect, and including the power built in. Good job. I'm sure that is whats causing the delay.

It also means that you probably can't get a 9700 in any older macs other than the MDD 2k3 ones.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Nah, they're are always extra hard drive power ports and if not you can get a splitter. There are also extended cables so you can run power to the opposite end of the case if need be.

11. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

sure they make splitters, and its easy to plug in, but Apple is all about making it easier, i'm sure ATI has gotten many phone calls to their support line with non working 9700 cards where the user forgot to plug in the power cable. Also, it would look much neater if the card just plugged in, instead of a cable to be routed.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree though I was countering the comment referring to that the 9700 wouldn't work in PowerMacs older then the MDD because they are the only ones with a power connector right next to the AGP slot.

13. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: i just wish i could get an AIW for mac

I agree. Maybe I need to make a call to louie and have some of the boys go down to ATI and give them guys some encouragment.;)