Atkins diet

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ifeelbloated, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Been doing it for 2 weeks now and dropped a couple pounds. Surprisingly enough I'm not that hungry anymore. Figures because protein does take longer to digest than carbs. I eat smaller portions and I try at all costs to avoid fast food and anything made with white flour. I do miss the hell out of pizza though. Now if I can just get back into lifting weights and running.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Atkins diet

Which white flowers are you avoiding? Is this an allergy or a diet choice?

I thought it was flour, but with all the changes in diets all the time you never know. ;)

Good luck with the diet.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think it's only a matter of time before studies show how bad this thing is for people...

depending on how people do it

protein in the form of red meat... tons of it.. all the time... will not be good

and it IS possible to get too much protein, and in fact, most americans do... you only need about 50 g of protein a day (for a "normal" sized person say around 170 pounds-males).. and i'm guessing most people that eat a decent amount of meat get anywhere from 70-100 g a day...

i'm no nutritionist or doctor, but i do not see how an excessive "diet" (ie, one that promotes an excess of some things and not much of anything else) can be good for you in the long run.

4. Ifeelbloated thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm not a nutritionist either but it's working. I've increased my fruits, vegetables, and "good fats". I just keep the carbs to as much a minimum as possible.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

don't fruits have lots of carbs and/or sugar...?

how about cholesterol......?

6. RaNdOm macrumors regular

RaNdOm

I think you may have it backwards...
    ...red meat is a form of protein, not the other way around...not a big deal...but it just points out that there are other forms of protein besides red meat...like vegitable protein...:D :) :D

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

no, i just worded it weird... ie. eating protein via red meat... that is, getting your protein by eating red meat...

yeah, veggies have protein.. sure. but not as much.

and you're kidding yourself if you think most folks on the atkins diet get most of their protein from anything but meat and eggs....

after all, whenever someone's vegetarian, the first thing they hear is, "where do you get your protein???"

8. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Jello, have you read the book by Atkins? It's been around for thirty years, maybe longer maybe shorter. There's been plenty of time for study and one group says bad, the other says good.

My wife has followed this diet for sometime now, due to a carb intolerance. She's got a pretty darn diverse diet and there are lots of veggies allowed. Also keep in mind the diet is about reducing carbs, not eating red meat all the time.

Fruits and veggies aren't the real culprits to obesity. Most Americans don't eat enough of them. Bread, pastas, and potatos are the killers.

For those that don't know, the body can only burn one thing for energy and that is Glucose. If you intake lots of carbs they are stored as fat for leaner times if you don't burn them off. My understanding is proteins and fats are much harder to synthesize into glucose, so the body gets what it can from them and then passes them.

By default I'm sort of on the Atkins diet and I don't feel deprived nor buried under a mountain of beef. I can't remember where I heard it, but someone told me our food pyramid is identical to cattles'. I think moderation in all things is the key to eating plan.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

agreed

at the moment, i'm attempting to make the vegan jump myself, so i guess i'll have to see what kind of moderation i can achieve by ruling out probably 60+% of foods right off the bat. ha

10. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

things don't get crazy until you try a macrobiotic diet.

11. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Using protein for energy results in the lease amount of energy release. One problem with high protein intake is that the resulted burning of them creates high amounts of Ammonia. Your body then has to take the Ammonia and turn it into Uric acid in order to be passed. First, this is not exactly the best for your kidneys in extremely high amounts. One way to tell if one's kidneys have stopped functioning is testing the acidity of the blood.

Fat on the other hand has more potential energy release per unit than either sugars or proteins. A problem with this is that too much of it and your kidneys are pumping out the ketones as a result. This isn't bad in small doses, but over time, I would expect it could do a bit of damage if you eat a diet that is very high in fat and nothing else.

The best thing is to eat a balanced diet. Don't eat too much of any one thing, except vegetables and fruits. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

Another problem I see with the Atkins diet is that in the past we have all heard lots of studies on how high consumption of red meats increase your risk of cancer by quite a bit. On the other hand, fruits and vegetables have the opposite effect. No, I'm not saying everyone should go out and be a vegeterian, but moderation is the key. One more thing that people need to do is get out and get more exercise. A diet change is good, but you need the exercise element there as well.

note: Feel free to correct any of the info above as I can not guarantee it all to be correct, but just from my memory and some common sense.

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Carbs...

I think Carbs are what is actually BAD for people. All these new processed foods, and new forms of carbs are bad for people. Lets say 300 years ago, nobody was getting (just an example) heart disease, or alstheimers, or some weird ass disease like people are now.

They didnt have those weird carbs back then. Sure, they had pasta and home made bread, but nothing processed.

I do not see how meat can be bad for one. I eat a LOT of red meat, and I believe it actually is good for you. Most weight trainers tell you that red meat and rice, with some weight training will get you big.

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Re: Carbs...

Absolutely. The problems isn't the carbs found in nature such as those in fruits. The problem is the processed and bleached flours, etc.

14. Chomolungma macrumors regular

sparten diet

I recommend a sparten diet as it has been known to increase longevity (spelling?).

All this talk about what type of food and how much to eat can't be good. I think a good number of us can give our digestive tract a break. It can't be healthy forcing your digestive tract to perform its work three times a day?

I recommend 2 or even 1 meal per day. Craving for that juicy steak at the end of a long day is a joy for me:D Denial is an underrated behavior (LOL)
    I usually have a venti latte in the morning and water throughout the day. For dinner, anything goes:cool:

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: sparten diet

Your actually better off eating small amounts several times a day. This is how our bodies work best.

16. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Re: Re: sparten diet

I disagree, because sugar level in our blood is constantly on a roller coaster. I don't think it is good. I suggest letting your body use the energy obtained from last night dinner.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Re: Re: sparten diet

The more numerous smaller meals, give your stomach a change to shrink back and help reset the full feeling to a much smaller amount.

Chewing your food longer, slowing down and relaxing at your meal also helps you feel full with less food in the belly.

Or you can get the multi thousand dollar surgery that reduces the size of the entry in your stomach that forces you to do the above.

Reducing the calorie intake from sugar (drinks, snacks, dessert, ect.) and replacing the between meal snacks also helps.

The diet is about making your body work harder for the calories, working a bit harder to eat works too - which is what the band surgery was about.

Porking out 2 or 3 times a day in meals you choke down - may actually mean you feel hungry more often.

18. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: sparten diet

You made some good points, however, I nevered suggest gorging at dinner time according to my diet. Although, I don't suggest my sparten diet to be easy to accomplish; I don't think it is unnatural or in anyway unhealthy.

I think we should question the government's three meals a day recommendation. Are there lots of evidence to support this as being ideal?
    Personally, I find it hard to work after lunch (large or small portion). I think siesta was invented for this (LOL).

If you can't do one meal a day, do two (stated in my orginal post).

your turn

19. SumDumGuy macrumors regular

I can attest to the fact that the Atkins diet does work and works quite well. When I got my present job, I went from a fairly active job where I was moving all day to a more sedate job where the most walking I do is move from my computer to the imagesetter.

The less active job coupled with the fact that I was working more hours meant less time for exercise. I went from wakeboarding 4 days a week to no focused exercise at all. This caused my weight to go from a relatively slim 185 (I'm 6' tall) to a rather chunky 213. Not really fat, but I didn't like the way I looked in the mirror.

I decided to start Atkins on my birthday in July and after sticking religiously to the diet, by November I was back to 185. I'm not eating as much food now, and the type of food isn't fast food, sugary food or high in carbs. I've also started getting more exercise which I think evens out the occassional treat of pizza or the like.

Is this type diet good for my body? I've read the Atkins book and I still don't know. But I know I look and feel better and that's enough for me. Banning fast food from your diet HAS to be good for you!

20. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Congradulation!

I think most of us will be interested in is how long can you stay on this diet?

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: sparten diet

I personally eat 5 times a day. 2 medium meals and 3 healthy snacks. I think that this is best to keep your bodies metabolism up and to keep your body functioning at it's fullest. Dinner should be the smallest meal of the day and you shouldn't eat within a couple hours of going to bed.

22. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

300 years ago the average life expectancy was like 30 years old.

You didn't live long enough to develop weird diseases.

According to this chart the life expectancy in 1870 in the US (about 130 years ago) was 40 years old!

arn

23. vniow macrumors G4

Actually many people lived past 50 and 60 300 (and more) years ago, the reason for the 30 years average accounts for the many more younger people (infants made up a big part of that) that died, from mostly disease, as well as the fewer percentage that lived to be a ripe old age.

The sheer multitude of poeple who died before 30 then outnumbered the people who lived over 50 so that's where that average came from.[​IMG]

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm not going to say our diet's have become healthier than they were... but not only did arn point out that people live longer now (though vniow is right in part of the reason being less child/infant deaths)... but also, people didn't know to call the diseases back then by the names they have now... ie, alzheimers, etc.

also, you are kidding yourself if you think that your red meat is not processed, in that the cows are pumped so full of hormones/chemicals that it's truly disgusting... unless of course you're getting all your meat from a local organic farm, which for some reason i doubt.

also, "getting big" is not necessarily the same as "healthy"... though if you want to be tough and intimidate people, i guess it works well enough.