Atlanta airport ice storm

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Jan 29, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Anybody stranded because of the ice storm in Atlanta?

Link to story

Hope none of you were having to travel this weekend. The ice storm here in ATL has shut down travel. It took me 2 hours to get to work on Saturday morning. I left my house at 3:45 a.m. and arrived at work at 5:45 (my shift starts at 6:00). I was one of a handful that was on time. We didn't have much to do most of the day, the airport was completely shut down. But I worked 4 hours OT and got home about 8:30 p.m. (after a 2 hour ride home again). I slept a couple of hours and now I'm back out here at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning (posting from work).

Worked hard in the afternoon over on the International concourse, and my beard was frozen with sleet. Miserable day yesterday, and today promises to be more of the same.

I was awakened from my 2 hours of sleep by a loud BANG, and I thought a tree had hit my house, but I think it got my neighbor (lots of pine trees in the neighborhood).

I'll work 12 more hours today, and them I'm off for 2 days (thank God). At least I have power at my house, even though I'm not there!

Anybody else having miserable weather?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
  2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    I'm in Huntsville. We seem to have missed the ice storm bullet by a few degrees. Some of the higher elevations (including a few bridges and staircases) were iced here, but the roads were clean. A few degrees colder, though, and we'd have been in your predicament.
  3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Ice is icing on top of a dry powdery snow. My nieghbor and I went and cleared the walks and driveways of the elderly in our cul-de-sac, and then did the nieghbor who has terminal pancreatic cancer. UGH.

We are home today, the roads here are too dangerous due to the hilly country and ice. Church via the radio today, may find a service through iTunes, any suggestions via internet radio anyone? I have it pumped through the stereo via optical cord, we love it.

Wife is making a crock pot full of homemade chili, the hot chocolate is already pouring and Michael Franks is playing - What a wonderful-take it slow-be with family-day!
  4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    oh man.. that must suck down at the airport... my sister who goes to GaTech tells me it's much worse down there... i live about an hour NE of Atlanta and, though it's really cold, it's nothing too serious... mostly just some slick roads...
    at least i know i won't be running outside in PE tomorrow.. :rolleyes:

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    reminds me of coming back to school freshman year after winter break. up here in MN we had gotten like no snow so far, and flying back through atlanta i hit huge delays due to snow/ice. i spent like 4 hours in the plane sitting on the runway waiting to be de-iced by like the one de-icer they have there and then having to be re-de-iced since it was still so long before we could take off. it was miserable. but also amusing since i go to school in MN and at that point in time i had seen more snow in ATL than up in the frozen tundra.