Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyback

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
London, UK
What's not to love... That top one has a DOUBLE floppy disk drive! Awesome!

I wonder if we we look back at the Mac Pro design and laugh at its double DVD drive (if we aren't already...)

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Can I charge $10 admission to my garage? I have most of those computers in there, except the Xerox.

I have two Apple II's with dual floppy drives. Big deal.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Just a few miles from my workplace! Yay! I'm so there...and my wife will be so bored...

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
What no original "Mac" room

I feel the the original Macintosh is where the story really started. I am surprised they did not put a Mac room between the Apple pre/I/II rooms and the turmoil room.

Wilson

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
So, I suppose I'll have to turn my pop-up blocker off if I want to visit this museum? No thanks.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I remember my Apple II being more beige than that picture. I don't know if they lightened up on the way to the Mac + or if those pictures just show the signs of age, because they look more "carmel" to me than beige.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I remember my Apple II being more beige than that picture. I don't know if they lightened up on the way to the Mac + or if those pictures just show the signs of age, because they look more "carmel" to me than beige.

I think that carmel color is caused by the lighting; auto-adjusting the levels in Photoshop seems to bring it back to its expected color, which is probably how it would've looked under normal lighting. (I only care because I noticed the same thing while making that stupid pop-up picture)

Attachments

• lighting.png
    lighting.png
    457.4 KB · Views: 67

JackieMB

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
I don't need to go to the museum because I actually used most of that equipment from Apple // on. Including Lisa. If you have never seen a floppy drive before (SD cards and USB sticks fulfill that role now), it would be worth it just to see that. Apple used 5.x" floppies and the Xerox 820 and many computers of that pre-PC era used 8" floppies. As did I.

These bring back memories... my first computer was the macintosh, I converted into an aquarium a few years back, so it's still useful today. Not sure if it is worth more as an aquarium or not.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Then they got dumb with the candy shelled iMacs and iBooks (shown above in all their cheesy glory). That was Apple at their worst in my opinion. Things didn't improve until they started getting into their minimalism kick with the flat white G5 and Powerbooks.

The clam shell laptops were cheap looking IMO but the coloured iMacs? I think they look excellent. You realise these things were around in 1999 with OS9? I mean everybody had ugly grey Windows 95/98 desktops at that time. These things were a triumphant victory after 10 years of boring grey Wintel boxes.

----------

Just a few miles from my workplace! Yay! I'm so there...and my wife will be so bored...

Ahh, truly amazing how some people are incapable of loving this stuff :D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Judging by your user name, you have a collector's item of your own!

(Me too: I keep a sunflower iMac for playing Descent 3. I even have the subwoofer.)

I think we used to play UT 2004 back in the day (if I'm not mixing people up) :). And yes, I have two Lime iBook machines, one is a 446MHz model with FireWire & a DVD drive. Some other fun models are my twin Color Classics and my G4 Cubes :D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Judging by your user name, you have a collector's item of your own!

(Me too: I keep a sunflower iMac for playing Descent 3. I even have the subwoofer.)

Nice!! Yes I have a 366MHz and 466MHz SE models (FireWire and DVD-ROM), both aren't perfect, but fun to have. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.