ATM/Suitcase...what are people using with os x...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jvaska, Sep 30, 2002.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

ok...there is no ATM for os x...

suitcase 10...what a joke...

how am i supposed to keep track of Didot which has 42 variations (all completely scattered amongst other fonts in the menu with suitcase)...and i HAVE to keep this thing running when i want it to manage fonts...???!

(edit)

i've been zooming around reading about this issue...apple has not yet made good on their promise to bring postscript into osx completely...it's still very buggy...in addition...aside from suitcase 10 (aka ugh)...it seems that there are currently no decent font management solutions out right now...

apple is really funking this up at the moment...the leaders of DTP many years ago have forgotten the importance of managing fonts...as a designer...this is a freaking pain in the ass...

jv

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I have been using Suitcase X for a solid five months now, and while frustrating at first, I have grown to like it. If you take the time to organize your fonts into folders and not just dump everything into a "My Fonts" set, it is very easy to keep track of everything.

As far as having to keep it open, just hide it. In OS 9, you never really quit suitcase or ATm either. The extensions and other resident items kept running in the background. This way it's better, if I really don't want it, I can quit it.

Attached Files:

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Problem

The problem with suitcase is that you HAVE to have os 9 installed for it to install on X. what a joke!

anyone know a way around this? would making a fake system folder do it? or is there needed things installed there?

4. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Re: Problem

hmm...that's not true. I don't have OS 9 installed, but I'm using suitcase.

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Re: Problem

When installing Suitcase it tells you that if you only have OSX, you need to do a custom install and do a "OSX Client Only" install.

You were in a rush, ey?

6. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

i use Suitcase 10 also on OS X.. i hardly have any problems with.

Run the update also. It's an update to run better on Jaguar.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I have also been running Suitcase X 10 without issue. What programs do you use to design? I use Quark, and consequently I still have OS 9 so that I can actually run the darn thing.

8. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

HA! I can't even istall Suitcase 10 on my system. Just upgraded to Jaguar...which was a big hassle...and now when I go to install Suitcase, I get some kind of silly warning that I don't have a system folder. I have OS 9 installed, too.

9. Rogue macrumors newbie

Intalled Font Reserve. Works great!
    on jaquar too.

10. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm not going to pay for a jaguar upgrade just so i can use suitcase better...i have custom made fonts that won't work as well with jaguar...the thing is still very buggy...osx is bitmapping my screen images too - these aren't cheap truetype fonts...i have over 9,000 postscript fonts on my machine...i don't need them all...but i have used many...

yeah...i use quark...so i still have to use os9 for that too...

i'll try your suggestion about using the folders...but resorting everything is not something i want to do...

font reserve? i'll check it out...maybe this will solve the problem with font families being kept as a group in the font menus (god that irritates me)?

but i wish a comparable solution to ATM would show up soon...jv