ATrue Hero died today, His name Robert L Scott

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dont Hurt Me, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thought i would mention this for those who like to know about real Hero's. Robert L Scott was a P40 Ace from WW2. He was credited with 13 kills confirmed in China/Burma but 22 was the real number. Back in those days you needed 2 people to witness the plane go down or had to capture it on gun film. So he was only credited with the 13. He had many exploits guarding the hump back when Japan was invading China along the Burma road. He even had his spinner painted different colors so the Japs would think they were seeing different planes!
    The flying Tigers were all hero's in my book but i just wanted to post the passing of a real Hero in a time when we hold actors, and atheletes as hero's.:rolleyes: This guy is another reason why we still have some freedoms and libertys. His life is a interesting read to be sure. He was the author of God is my Copilot and that was made into a movie back in 1945. Never seen it ill admit but i did read about him in great american fighter pilots of WW2. I would like to thank him for his service. His P40 was named old exterminator and though he was told he was to old at the time to fly fighters he managed to get one P40 to fly from Chenault who was the leader of the Tigers in China at the time. He was 97! May he rest in peace. A True Hero.

2. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Here is the type of plane P40 that he flew.

Attached Files:

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I love the P-40, a great plane even if outclassed early on in the war...22 kills is an impressive tally.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for putting things in perspective DHM - as you say, what today's society's view of a "hero" is, is perhaps not what it should be. We are alive today and we have the freedom and liberties that we have today because of men like this. Can the same be said for an all-star quarterback?

As you say, RIP to a true hero. :cool:

5. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We have something in common Lord Blackadder. Iam a P40 fan myself. It was the plane that fought the first years of the war and though outclassed as you stated by planes that showed up years later, it in the hands of pilots like Robert L Scott tallied up a amazing record. It was the Fighter Plane of WW2 for the U.S. In the hands of the Flying Tigers it had a record that would never be matched by any plane or squadron of WW2!

On a side note i just built a control line 049 P40 and hope to make my first flight with it next weekend. Ill post a picture:D