Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ATT.png
AT&T has announced that it is working with several global tech leaders to enable faster 5G deployment once 3GPP completes the first release of the official specifications, which will form the basis of the global standards for the next-generation wireless technology.

Specifically, the carrier has entered preliminary discussions with Deutsche Telekom, Ericsson, Huawei, Intel, LG, Nokia, Qualcomm, Samsung, SK Telecom, Telstra, Vodafone, and others to find and resolve key standards issues early and bring 5G to market sooner.
"We're joining other tech leaders to find and resolve key standards issues early and bring 5G to market sooner," said Tom Keathley, senior vice president- wireless network architecture and design, AT&T. "Interim and fragmented pre-standard specifications can distract from the ultimate goal. Linking trials to the standards process is the fastest path to large-scale global 5G deployment."
AT&T began trialing 5G wireless technologies this year, including lab tests in the second quarter and outdoor tests in Middletown, New Jersey and Austin, Texas over the summer. The carrier anticipated 5G speeds to be 10 to 100 times faster than today's average 4G LTE connections, with reduced latency, and it achieved that goal in June when its 5G data speeds hit up to 10 Gbps in the lab.

As it stands, 5G is still a ways off. The 3GPP group aims to complete the first phase of the worldwide standards process by 2018, but AT&T's own 5G network rollout is not expected until a few years later in 2020. It also remains too soon to determine Apple's roadmap for 5G in terms of future iPhones. But, given AT&T's efforts, 5G deployment could take place at least somewhat sooner than anticipated.

Article Link: AT&T Working Towards Faster Deployment of 5G, 10-100x Faster Than 4G LTE

mikeyteh

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
I'm more excited about the new AT&T data plans coming on 8/21, given that it will actually affect me now vs. years from now. Still, it's nice to see attention being paid by AT&T, Google, and others to wireless high speed.
[doublepost=1471454490][/doublepost]I can't wait to see spotty 5G service in 5-7 years, much like LTE service is today.

Last edited:

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I'm more excited about the new AT&T data plans coming on 8/21, given that it will actually affect me now vs. years from now. Still, it's nice to see attention being paid by AT&T, Google, and others to wireless high speed.
[doublepost=1471454490][/doublepost]I can't wait to see spotty 5G service in 5-7 years, much like LTE service is today.
1GB of data for $30?? Wow.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I hesitate to post this, after your ordeal, but the timing of this article was a little too perfect. And I must admit it conspcerns me just a little bit ...

Is 5G technology dangerous? Early data shows a slight increase of tumors in male rats exposed to cellphone radiation - Los Angeles Times
https://apple.news/AQrBG-bQyQS2dX2CIgCnd6A

Reactions: 5105973

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You too can burn through your whole 40GB data plan in 7.3 minutes!!!

Can you tell I'm not sure what I'm going to use these speeds for in normal everyday use?
More speed means less congestion. If your web page loads three times as fast, you are spending 1/3 the time pulling data from the tower. Of course that metric goes out the door when streaming.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah pretty much useless unless the data cap is increased at the same price point. I wouldn't mind 10x the speed so long as I have 10x the data.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I always love reading the 10-100x faster. Such a catch all figure for "it will be faster than 4G."

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Currently plans under 15GB have to pay a higher monthly access fee per line, $15/line for 15GB+ plans, $25/line for smaller plans. I wonder where AT&T will draw the line in these new plans starting on 8/21, as the article doesn't mention this.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
This will be the replacement for cable to your house. When I say cable I don't mean coax specifically, I mean your house will connect wirelessly to the high speed network versus running a cable all the way. Run a fiber to a central point near your neighborhood, setup a tower and quickly cover a ton of people. 5G has a very short range which will make it difficult for more than use in specific areas. No way there will be enough towers to have full roaming coverage. You will find it more near venues and subdivisions at first. My perspective.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
This will be the replacement for cable to your house. When I say cable I don't mean coax specifically, I mean your house will connect wirelessly to the high speed network versus running a cable all the way. Run a fiber to a central point near your neighborhood, setup a tower and quickly cover a ton of people. 5G has a very short range which will make it difficult for more than use in specific areas. No way there will be enough towers to have full roaming coverage. You will find it more near venues and subdivisions at first. My perspective.

Remember A&T recently bought DirecTV. I wonder if this is more about a home entertainment than cell phones. Would this system be designed to provide better streaming/on-demand options as the world moves away from the network/scheduled programming model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.